PDA

View Full Version : is playing backups on the 360 possible

broony2005
17-08-2006, 01:43 AM
is playing backups on the 360 possible, if so im gonna buy one if not will wait to see how the ps3 looks

Diablo13
17-08-2006, 04:00 AM
The short answer is yes. I admit to not knowing a great deal about it but I have a close friend who does. You need to get the software to match whatever hardrive you have in your box. You do need a harddrive in it apparently to hold the necessary software. These will be either Samsung or Hitachi and the required image or firmware is available for both of them. You MUST use the correct firmware for the drive you have and you will not know that until you get the box home and open it up to look at the drive.
The case is held together by an assortment of clips inside the grids on the sides and on the back as well if I remember correctly. Before you take it apart make sure you have a decent hairdryer with you. Use the hairdryer to heat up and remove the silver case sealing sticker very carefully. If done correctly you should get the sticker off clean and in 1 piece so that you can re-attach it later and not invalidate your warranty with the place you bought it from.
I cannot help with the more technical side but I do know backups are available on the net of all games and that they will play on the box perfectly if it's "modded" correctly.
This advice is offered to help you decide and obviously I cannot guarantee what you do with it, but the answer to your question is still a 100% yes if it's done correctly. I hope this helps?
I have learned today that it is not necessary to have a harddrive in your X-Box as I previously stated in this thread. Sorry for the mis-information.

memo1234
17-08-2006, 05:44 PM
yep you can play backups but you need to flash your dvd drive first and it as to be done in your pc with a sata cable

broony2005
17-08-2006, 06:51 PM
yep you can play backups but you need to flash your dvd drive first and it as to be done in your pc with a sata cable

WHAT ARE THE BEST PLACES TO DOWNLOAD THE GAMES "BEARSHARE OR SOMETHING" ?

memo1234
17-08-2006, 07:09 PM
i use newsleecher and a site called newzbin.com but you have to pay for both thing to get stuff at your max speed

Diablo13
17-08-2006, 07:37 PM
brooney2005
I suggest you search in Google for; Xbox forums, xbox downloads or xbox world. Something like that should give you some of the dedicated xbox fan sites etc, and you should find links in there. If you know what a torrent site is then search some of them for free downloads. I don't have an Xbox myself so I dont know the specific sites to look for, I just know they exist from friends who use them.
I hope this helps get you started.:google: :goodluck:

afrothunder2k5
17-08-2006, 08:38 PM
i would recomend you signing up to a newsgroup provider coz there nothing worse than when u can't complte your torrent download but hey thtas just my opinion :9:

broony2005
18-08-2006, 12:04 AM
thanks for all the feedback guys ill soon get something sorted
cheers

Diablo13
18-08-2006, 01:59 AM
LOL, afrothunder there's one we will never agree on. I suppose it depends what torrent sites you use. Torrenting is free and fun and I never fail to complete a download, but then I only use decent private sign up sites and not Pirate bay and the like. Each to their own I guess.:fence: :-"

Husky
20-08-2006, 10:02 PM
I have a quick question about the Flashing of the DVD Drive. I heard something about it that if you use the Online service from Microsoft, than you cant Flash your drive, since they can than find it out.

Is this actually true and what happens if they do find it out?

I havn't got the new XBox yet, only the old one, but I was thinking about getting the new one or wait for the PS 3. Even if I think that that one will be too expensive.

Does anyone has got experience with Flashing the drive and the Online Service?

What happens if the flashing goes wrong? Would the drive be than broken?

GazAssassin
28-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Best place I have found so far on thjis is here ... (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Happy modding :D

Im in the process of "reading into it myself"

At the moment there is no way for Xbox live / M1cro$0ft to detect modded Firmware, Tho most ppl recommend you don't play online... as any day soon they might. Kinda do at your own risk.... :S

Shipoftheline
28-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Best place I have found so far on thjis is here ... (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Happy modding :D
Im in the process of "reading into it myself"
At the moment there is no way for Xbox live / M1cro$0ft to detect modded Firmware, Tho most ppl recommend you don't play online... as any day soon they might. Kinda do at your own risk.... :S

Like they did with the first xbox. Note how they waited for a big killer game like Halo 2 and remember Halo 3 will be out soon ;)

GazAssassin
28-08-2006, 12:49 PM
wow that was a quick reply !

SPORTSVCD
28-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I'd love to mod the 360 to play backup games just feel a bit scared of touching it due me pay a few hundred quid on ebay at xmas time.

hakz
28-08-2006, 09:09 PM
one thingi'm scared about is microsoft baning me for using hacked firmware, and i really want to play online

GazAssassin
29-08-2006, 12:08 PM
SPORTSVCD

If you read up enough at the link I gave you before ... You should be ok, Though to me online play with Different firmware is a bad idea...

SpaceDog
04-09-2006, 10:06 PM
There are hardware modifications which can allow to you to use the stock fw as well as a hacked one.

mickm
15-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Is there any chance it could nakker the Xbox 360. let me know asap befor I go & do it

hollow
16-09-2006, 10:08 PM
hi ive flashed loads of 360s
both toshiba samsung and hitachi lg drives

the samsung is the better of the 2 when it comes to playing backups

th hitachi drive is a bit more temprmental as in it will only play backups burnt on a poineer writer

as the sammy plays them from alot more writers

flashing the driv takes at most ten mins from start to finish

the sammy need a dos disk to boot your pc from so that your pc recognises the drive

the hitachi needs either a disk which is only recognised by a few mobos
or the cross wire trick very asy to do but alot of ppl are scared to do it this way

i also know of a site that has full games dloads which you pay rapid share a small fee for full speed dloads (no sharing involved)

best way as a 7 gig dload takes a while on uk speeds

research what you need
any Qs il be glad to help

a1079548
30-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Microsoft haven?t taking any steps to ban people with modified firmware using the live service yet, however I can see it happening in the future (it?s Microsoft!).

But for now I have had no problems : )

A bad flash is pretty unlikely, unless there is a power cut or something like that. It?s worth the risk in my opinion.

phasee
11-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Is there any chance it could nakker the Xbox 360. let me know asap befor I go & do it

In case you do mess up the flash it is a sensible idea to first make a backup of your original firmware so that if it does not work then you can roll back to the original.

And try again if you feel up to it :P