PDA

View Full Version : advice about main AV board toshiba 42VL863

berley
23-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Any TV engineers or anyone that fixes TV's around ?

My TV died a few months ago and I've took it to a TV repair guy, he's told me he thinks its the main board but can't be 100% sure, anyhow to cut a long story short he priced up a new one which isn't worth considering as it's too expensive but I've found this one and want to know if they are easily fitted or are they a right pain and would I be better leaving the guy to fit it.

http://blosome.com/?p=507

fergalsworld
23-07-2013, 01:33 PM
The easiest thing to do is have a look at your old one in situ and see how that is connected to the rest of the other boards
it should just be cable push connectors and maybe some ribbon connectors that need to be released and the board unscrewed from the back of the tv chassis

Double check it has the same part number and code on your old board as there will be different revisions ie A1, B1

berley
23-07-2013, 01:45 PM
I don't have the TV at the minute, the TV repair guy has it. He was/is charging me ?10 to look at it or ?50 to put the main board in if i buy it.

fergalsworld
23-07-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't have the TV at the minute, the TV repair guy has it. He was/is charging me ?10 to look at it or ?50 to put the main board in if i buy it.
Get it back off him it should be just as case of what i said in my previous post as most tv's just have cable push connectors and ribbons then scews holding the board to the chassis

berley
23-07-2013, 01:55 PM
okidoki will do, I wasn't sure if the main board was in any way soldered to the chassis but seems that's not the case so at least i'll save myself ?40 which can be better spent ............... partying lol

billy149uk
23-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I always find taking a picture or 2 with your phone before you start anything like that always good for reference.

berley
23-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Yea good advice, contrary to what peeps probably think I'm not completely stupid with a screwdriver :sofahide: lol

I've decided just to pay the guy the ?10 he asked me for looking at it and once I get it back I'll double check the parts number against what I order and put it in myself, thanks for all help and info.

alanjg007
24-07-2013, 08:15 AM
Remember and use anti static precautions, at the very least earth yourself.

berley
24-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Yea will do, touching a metal frame should do it shouldn't it ?

berley
24-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I don't know what to make with this poxy TV of mine, went to collect it today the engineer told me it has powered up a few times while he's had it but it only stayed on approx 10 mins, just got it back home and had it on for half an hour and it's working perfectly, the TV has been doing this on and off for about 6 months (it's happened 4 times in total) ie works for a while then dies but this last time it seemed like it was completely dead (whereas before i was coming back on usually within half an hour) hence the reason I took it to an engineer.

alanjg007
24-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Is he still saying that its a main pbc thou?

on another note if the main pcb cost as much as you say it does....then i can give you a shot of a anti_static kit?(if you end up trying it)

berley
24-07-2013, 10:22 PM
He said he cant be sure it's that but seems pretty sure its not the power supply, basically it could be anything on either of these boards so getting a new one might resolve the issue, someones been doing a lot of googling for me and their talking about updating the firmware on it and doing something (can't remember what tho) to check for faulty solder joints. Googled the problem myself as well and there's loads of different advice.

alanjg007
24-07-2013, 11:01 PM
oh well..... remember for next time berley. keep your receipt in a safe place

dx100-uk
25-07-2013, 12:02 AM
how old is it
where did you buy it from

soga covers most domestic goods for a 'reasonable period'

on a tv i'd expect that to be 3-4+yrs

idx

berley
25-07-2013, 12:10 AM
it's 2 years old (i think) maybe not as old as I cant find the receipt and haven't really searched that much either as it was bought from comet.
model number is Toshiba 42VL863

dx100-uk
25-07-2013, 12:37 AM
def covered by soga then.

didnt pay by a card did you?

dx

berley
25-07-2013, 12:41 AM
paid by debit card but don't understand why sale of goods act would cover you if the company has gone bankrupt ?

dx100-uk
25-07-2013, 12:56 AM
http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk/

you can also probably get the card company involved under chargeback
or
on certain debit cards
under section 75
they EQUALLY responsible as the retailer.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. dx

berley
25-07-2013, 01:24 AM
or
on certain debit cards
under section 75
they EQUALLY responsible as the retailer.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. dx

I paid with my debit card which is not covered in the above link - quote from there "purchases are not covered if they are made by debit cards"

Thanks for first link tho :)

dx100-uk
25-07-2013, 01:38 AM
there are some debit cards that are covered by sec 75.

it wont hurt to ask your card provider

might be worthy to investigate on a search engine
if others have sufferd the same symptoms as yours

IF the manu has ack'd that they know of your fault

then SOGA is absolute, and a direct approach to the manu
will get you a free replacement.

else soga must be through the retailer

dx

fergalsworld
25-07-2013, 01:46 AM
just ring and ask how you go about actioning a soga claim against currys
as your tv of 2yrs has failed.

dx
She got it from comet not currys DX and they have gone bust.

dx100-uk
25-07-2013, 10:32 AM
silly me got mixed up.

wont hurt to ask Toshiba

their service / support is very good

poss find out exactly when you bought it
via your online banking statements?

dx

berley
26-07-2013, 10:19 PM
update: bought a main board for the TV and fitted it and it didn't resolve the problem, should I give up on it before I chuck anymore money at it ?

The TV Engineer obviously diagnosed a wrong fault, although in fairness he said he wasn't 100 % sure but had narrowed it down to that or the PSU, my worry here is that he's guessing and that it could turn out to be something else, I just don't know now whether I'd be better cutting my losses or taking another gamble on it being the PSU, all advice welcome :)

fergalsworld
27-07-2013, 10:31 AM
You can always put the mainboard on ebay you will get your money back,
Its pointing to a faulty psu so you could try that or as dx as suggested email toshiba as its still covered by soga.

berley
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Last update: bought an new PSU for it and it's now working fine :zoom:

and the morale of the story .......... listen to the advice that I was given here ages ago that it would be the PSU and don't take it to a TV Engineer cos he just cost me 50 quid more than I needed to pay :fryingpan: