PDA

View Full Version : wireless extentenders

notanotherone
25-02-2013, 04:12 PM
I have about 3 or 4 spare wireless routers hanging around the house - either Sky or O2 ones. They aren't that old either, maybe a year at most.I wondering if its possible to turn any of the old Sky routers (or O2 ones) into wireless extenders?!

Is this possible? Has anyone tried it?

If that can't be done, are there any other use I can get out of these spare routers?

berley
25-02-2013, 05:03 PM
I've just chucked a brand new o2 router in the bin today, thats the best place for yours as well - what have I told you bout harbouring junk that you no longer need pmsl

PS Kept the cables tho but probs chuck them next week when I do another clear out lol

Gazer
25-02-2013, 05:39 PM
you can use them as wired extenders, which is what i did to connect my TV, DVD, and freeview box up as long as you got the sockets on the back of the router to do it....... ie: 4 sockets .... 1 in and then 3 out on mine

If not use them as building blocks lol

thelostone
25-02-2013, 07:12 PM
So how do you do it? and if its easy berley get it out the bin and send it to me pmsl

notanotherone
25-02-2013, 08:15 PM
So how do you do it? and if its easy berley get it out the bin and send it to me pmsl

yes as lost says?

alanjg007
25-02-2013, 09:06 PM
I have done this. I have the main dlink router upstairs and then the older router down stairs and it connects wireless then i hardwire the xbox into it. The older router only really gives me a max of 10meg but good enough for the xbox.

I had to install custom firmware on both routers just to make it easier.

The only thing is if i can remember the network id is different so its not like you can seamlessly move around the house. Although i'm sure it can be setup that way, i just did it differently.

If you need any help then please ask.

Check your routers against the database :

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. as not all routers can get the custom firmware.

Some routers you can set up to become extenders in the settings, but seeing as they are all different makes it might be easier to have them all on similar firmware.

alanjg007
25-02-2013, 09:10 PM
I've just chucked a brand new o2 router in the bin today, thats the best place for yours as well - what have I told you bout harbouring junk that you no longer need pmsl

PS Kept the cables tho but probs chuck them next week when I do another clear out lol

if your chucking good tech stuff out let me know!!!! I'm sure i can find a good home

thelostone
25-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks alan, is it poss to be able to connect another router to the vm one i have with out installing other firmwere on it? if i cock up the vm one the mrs is going to kill me lol.I dont know about nao but i want it so i can connect my blu ray player to the internet

notanotherone
25-02-2013, 10:43 PM
think ill need more info and a lot of help lol pmsl

alanjg007
25-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks alan, is it poss to be able to connect another router to the vm one i have with out installing other firmwere on it? if i cock up the vm one the mrs is going to kill me lol.I dont know about nao but i want it so i can connect my blu ray player to the internet

i think it should work. But if you can get the custom firmware running on the other one that would make things easier for me.

i think this is what you need to setup.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. bits i nver did.

Set your computer to a static IP address of 192.168.1.9

i just used a laptop to configure the 2nd modem.)

the 2nd router does all the work as its DHCP host.

the only experience i have is making mine work but i'm more than happy to help you as much as my expertise reaches lol