PDA

View Full Version : Kids outta control...moved to main site news

Firestarter
11-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Children as young as six have needed hospital treatment after going on drinking binges, report A&E doctors.
The school summer holidays have brought a rash of cases into casualty units up and down England.
A survey by the BBC found that doctors and nurses who work in A&E believe that the average age of binge-drinking children is falling.
Three quarters said that they felt that the number of children needing medical help after drinking was rising.
The BBC asked dozens of A&E consultants about the scale of the problem in their area.
During the summer holidays, on average they estimated that they saw 24 cases of alcohol poisoning a month in under 18-year-olds.
Huge rise
In one area, staff reported seeing almost 100 cases a week during holiday periods, and blamed a "holiday atmosphere" with children left unsupervised.
In the winter this dropped to approximately 15 a month.
Again, three-quarters of those surveyed felt that the average age of their intoxicated patients was falling.
Repeat offenders
Mr John Heyworth, an A&E consultant from Southampton, and President of the British Association of Accident and Emergency Medicine, said that his young patients fell into two categories - those who were having one experiment with alcohol, and those who returned again and again with the same problems.
He told the BBC: "They are ending up in our resuscitation room and tending not to learn from that situation. And that's very worrying indeed."
Dr Heyworth said: "We're seeing an increasing number of young people presenting to accident and emergency departments who have been binge drinking - and increasingly those children are younger and younger.
"Often they are very sick indeed - they've drunk so much that they are unconscious and vomiting, which is a very dangerous mix.
"Without being too melodramatic about it, children will be coming to serious harm, and children will be dying as a result of alcohol binge drinking unless we take some action now and try to reverse this trend."
There is already rising concern about alcohol consumption among young adults, which is rising fast in some groups, in particular women.
Some studies have linked binge drinking to the development of breast cancer in women.
Dr Patricia Conrod, a researcher for Action on Addiction, said: "The average amount of alcohol consumed per week by 11-15 year olds doubled between 1990 and 2000."
"Heavy drinking is particularly dangerous for adolescents, as they are not fully developed, and their bodies are unable to cope with large quantities of alcohol. Research has suggested that drinking may seriously harm the development of the nervous and reproductive systems."
"Children and teenagers need to be better targeted by prevention strategies, particularly those young people who are repeatedly admitted to hospital for emergency treatment for binge drinking."

johnzer
11-08-2006, 08:05 PM
it's a bloody well disgrace that parents of these type of kids don't take an interest to the extent that they would notice if their kids came in drunk or the likes

DessertDog
11-08-2006, 08:23 PM
These kids parents dont give a S*** as long as they aint in the house they dont worry where they are or what there upto.I would suspect a lot have no man about the house to keep them in order.

berley
11-08-2006, 08:41 PM
I would suspect a lot have no man about the house to keep them in order.

dd totally gobsmacked at that remark - are you implying single mothers cannot raise children properly ?

graham
14-08-2006, 10:46 PM
it is indicative in a society where there is no strong leadership and rising crime statistics are manipulated and presented as if it should be expected and is the norm, look at the facts
violent crime up
rape up
robberies with violence up
sentances for offenders cut by a third if they say yep it was me, and then parolled after another third

i dont care if prisons are overcrowded, let em sleep in the courtyard. if you break societies rules then you cannot expect society to respect your rights. in prison you should have two rights
1. to get fed
2. a fair and proper sentance

no tv, no computers, no music.... do the crime do the time
if they riot and burn the prison down as has happened in the past, give them tarps to sleep under, when the last prisoner from that wing has completed his sentence then and only then repair the building.

bring back the right of the local bobbie to giva a kid a slap around the ear, teachers too, any one caught with a knife with no good reason mandatory 5year sentance, parole after 4.5 years.

may seem harsh, but i bet a few less would be carried.

as for the single mother bit, cr*p, plenty of good single parent families out there, just because one of the parents cant or wont face up their responsibilities does not mean that the remaining parent does'nt either

RP3X
15-08-2006, 02:30 PM
The worlds definatly changing... seems the norm for little kids to be smoking/drinking and having sex all before they get too old at the age of 11

We cant blame the parents, its society and kids/schools theres alot of issues today, sadly dont see any ways of fixing the issue even if there parents/schools said dont take drugs and have sex there gonna do it after school.

We need perhaps some shock ads..... like the ones we see every 5 minutes at the Cinema of kids walking the roads and getting run over.....

Proberly the only way.

Shipoftheline
15-08-2006, 02:32 PM
dd totally gobsmacked at that remark - are you implying single mothers cannot raise children properly ?
Sorry but I have to agree with him my sisters boyfriend is a new teacher and confirmed the same thing. The problem kids in his school are mostly from single parents and they only respect the male teachers. This may not be PC but christ we've all seen the results of being PC lol

hakz
15-08-2006, 04:32 PM
i think teachers need to bring back the cane :D

I think this now because I am no longer in school. Make the trouble makers suffer :D . Teachers have no power over the children no more, they can't disipline them at all.

scruff1963
23-08-2006, 07:43 AM
The worlds definatly changing... seems the norm for little kids to be smoking/drinking and having sex all before they get too old at the age of 11
We cant blame the parents, its society and kids/schools theres alot of issues today, sadly dont see any ways of fixing the issue even if there parents/schools said dont take drugs and have sex there gonna do it after school.
We need perhaps some shock ads..... like the ones we see every 5 minutes at the Cinema of kids walking the roads and getting run over.....
Proberly the only way.

It is all down to the parents.
I live on a so called problem estate.
I have two children a girl 21 and a boy 20.
My daughter has just finished university and my son is just about to start his second year.
If they got into trouble at school we let them know that it was not acceptable and also outside of school.
My children have never been in trouble with the police.
They were both taught to read before school as it is the parents job, the school only build on existing foundations.

The foundations for a childs outlook on life are built at home, if the foundations are poor then the child will go astray. You cannot blame society for the way children act it is down to the lack of a decent foundation from the parent/s

On the single parent issue yes some have no control of their children but I know just as many with 2 parents that have no control so the single parent as an arguement is another unsubstantiated generalisation but then I am used to them on here.

People that blame society are just to lazy to bring up their children properly, If a child is illiterate it is not the fault of the school but the parent/s for not teaching the basics before the child started school. If the parent/s allow their children to roam the streets like rats then they will pick up bad habits.

notanotherone
23-08-2006, 10:42 AM
from scruffs 1963 On the single parent issue yes some have no control of their children but I know just as many with 2 parents that have no control so the single parent as an arguement is another unsubstantiated generalisation but then I am used to them on here

i must agree with him you cant go saying single parents are to blame i know loads of single parents male and female who are wondeful with there kids my m8 sister is a teacher and her lad whos 15 by the way has never been in trouble has allways been polite and is a great credit to not only his mother but to his friends as well i can honestly say that i have never seen or heard of any of them being any trouble to anyone

e-z reader
23-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm sure that not every kid thats been drunk, smoked or in trouble comes from a single parent background. The problem is kids these days don't fear their parent(s) .When I was at school if I wasn't home by a certain time my parents came looking for me and dragged me home in front my mates! These days you see kids on the streets until 11pm on a school night. I'm sure if a child knew their mp3 player,games console, tv etc would be taken away if they got into trouble then their attitudes would change. Also stopping their pocket money would stop them from being able to afford drink and drugs.

Diablo13
24-08-2006, 02:20 AM
Theres a lot that I agree with and a lot that I don't in this thread.
The underlying problem in all the cases is a general lack of discipline caused by a lack of fear of enforcement.
When I was at school the cane or a plimsoll was still used up until the new comprehensive system started, when I was about thirteen. I have been on the receiving end of corporal punishment plenty of times. I am not sure if it did me any good, but it certainly did me no harm. The actual FEAR of the of the punishment however, that did more good and often helped put the brakes on when we got a little "over excited" shall we say. It also taught us to "stand on our own two feet" and "take it like a man". Horrible cliches now I know but actually I can't think of a more precise way of putting it. When my school changed due to the comprehensive system my new modern school did not use corporal punishment. It was'nt really needed either because although we were no angels we respected the school and the teachers, many of whom gave up their spare time after class to give us sports, chess, subuteo clubs, debating clubs etc, and we enjoyed it.Hard to imagine kids now rather going to a debating club when there was White Lightning to be drunk in the park. As I said the RESPECT aspect worked both ways, that and the fact that the school would report your bad behaviour to your parents so that they could discipline you their own way. I think this was correct because you took your smacked ar$e, or being kept in, in private and not in front of your mates, leaving your "street cred" you would call it now, intact. Though everyone knew that if your parents said you "could'nt come out", you were in the sh1t for something. The point being that no matter how or where the punishment was administered, you knew there would always be unpleasant consequences, if you got caught.
Now please hear me out on the next point before you throw stones at me. I really think that Ester Rantzen and childline is where the rot set in? Of course I am not in favour of child abuse and severe beatings causing injury to children. I do think however that teachers should be the first person a child could go to outside the home, not to a telephone where they can spout whatever rubbish they like to someone who does'nt know them or their circumstances, but is duty bound to believe them. I think teachers should have been better trained to deal with these allegations as well as having a child welfare backup they could turn to if they had concerns. Childline gave anonymity to people, and children can be spiteful and lie because they are not emotionally equipped to deal with their situation, or their own crime and punishment.
Following on from this sort of "give the power to the children" attitude teachers could no longer effectively discipline children at all, without fear of reprisals. Corporal punishment was obviously out and if a child was kept back for an hours detention , who could blame the parents for worrying to death what had happened to their "little angel" because they never got int trouble. What does that leave you with; you can't take their sweets, ipod, machete off them as that could be seen as theft or victimisation. As a teacher your basically stuffed because the kids know what you can and can't do to them, better than you. Were never any learning difficulties there! No fear of consequences, no rules, life is free and fun and "what on earths anarchy anyway, is it a new alcopop"?
So we move on to the next stage of destroying the status quo of the country and removing social values. It has at this stage long been established that the police cannot discipline unruly children and neither can the teachers. The teachers incidently have also learned that its pointless putting themselves out running chess clubs for the ungrateful little sods as they won't get paid overtime for it and only 2 will turn up anyway. As far as sports go, to release excess energy and aid physical development in a child , well that could be professional suicide because you might get accused of touching one of them up when they sprained an ankle, better leave that one well alone and just try to teach your subject, to those who will listen, during school time, you have papers to mark and lesson plans to do when you get home anyway, before you can put your feet up on the cat! Apathy then rules in both the teachers and the students.
So lets improve matters by making sure that children never live in fear. Lets stop the cruel practice of corporal punishment in the home. Never mind that Johnny and Mary mugged an old lady and stole barbiturates off the local drug dealer at their school gates, they're only children who don't know better. The police might tell the parents that their kids are growing up to be Liam Brady and Myra Hindley but they will also tell them that if they really do take the belt to them, they will get 5 years. So the circle is complete. No one should be allowed to punish children in a fitting way. "Oh just a minuit, I could punish them by sending them to bed early with only their 26" colour telly and Xbox with 156 games for company". "They will at least miss their tea, but I can't do that either because they will tell their friends and social services will be round in the morning because I am starving my poor little 13 stone couch potato to death." Well thems the rules, Mr Blair said so. Better tell them firmly not to do it again then.
So life goes on happily for both parents and children because they rarely see each other. Single parent, gay family or very strange 2 parent family makes no difference. "Glad to see the back of them they spend too much time watching Big Brother". "At least their out in the open air with their friends on the park." "I worked hard all day to keep them in Mc Donalds and frozen pizza, money does'nt grow on trees. Damn I just remembered its the twins birthday next month and they both want a mini motorbike, eight already they grow up so fast!"
A perfect world for a child nowadays, as it should be. No responsibilty, no cares, enough money for cider and the odd joint to keep them happy and out of my hair. Let someone else worry about them, they'l be alright hard as nails she is.
Oh yes they will be alright, it's the rest of us I worry about. We can't do anything to them, so just lay down and take your kicking maybe it wont be so bad, anyway you know who they are so you can tell a policeman if you find one and the law will give them an ASBO to stop them burning down your house.
:help: " GOODNIGHT CHILDREN, EVERYWHERE". :machinegun:

jacknife
19-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Sorry but I have to agree with him my sisters boyfriend is a new teacher and confirmed the same thing. The problem kids in his school are mostly from single parents and they only respect the male teachers. This may not be PC but christ we've all seen the results of being PC lol

Nonsense!:thumbdown:

Diablo13
19-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Nonsense!:thumbdown:

Would you like to expand on that a bit? You dont need to bump up your post count so why not tell us a bit more about why you think its nonsense? I personally don't believe the problem has anything to do with 1 parent families either, but rather a general lack of respect for authority in general. With no fear of consequences many people now think they can do as they like, whatever age they are because thats what they've always done from a young age. Society as a whole needs a good kick up the jacksie before we all start living by the law of the jungle.:mad:

kryten77
20-12-2006, 05:40 AM
I couldnt agree more with Diablo.
The world today has gone to hell. Kids now seem to be able to do what they like,when they like. if by any quirk of fate they do manage to be caught in the so called "Justice System" they invariably end up in one of those "PC" schools for "Problem/Disadvantaged/Behaviourally challenged" kids. You know the ones...1 hour of lessons a week, paid to attend, taken go-karting/abseiling/canoeing/ on safari.......
What do the kids who are well behaved, polite,well mannered get.....Usually bullied by these little mongrels.
The beginning of this trend didnt start so long ago but the results are there for everyone to see today.
Time for a return to "old-school" values and behaviour.
try giving any kid other than your own a telling off for doing something nowadays..they will either head straight for their parent who will react with the " Dont you tell my kid what he/she/it can or cant do.." or they will wait till your back is turned then every window in your house is put in, your car is vandalised and your kids will receive the benefit of their attention. or you get a visit from PC Plod for "Threatening behaviour towards a kid".
Back to the old days where a kick on the a*se sorted it.

Diablo13
20-12-2006, 06:22 AM
Its exactly as kryten 77 says, its all gone bad in the last few years. The meek shall inherit the earth has been replaced by if you can't afford it nick it and if you haven't got one, find a mug who has and terriffy him into giving you it. I still blame Ester rantzen and childline. I dont believe that kids should be beaten and abused, but there is a huge difference between abuse and enforcing discipline. As usual we have to take what might have been a great idea to start with and go to the extremes of apathy and the ridiculous in parents being unable to chastise their kids without fear of consequences. These kids have grown up and now let their kids run riot because they did and if anyone should tell them their kids are out of control they can now say with some justification, "Well what am I supposed to do about it?"

jooble
27-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Dont know if its just me but though i loved my parents to bits i was always just a little bit afraid of them,always knew if i got into trouble it would go badly for me.Maybe todays kids just are'nt afraid of todays punishments.

Diablo13
27-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Dont know if its just me but though i loved my parents to bits i was always just a little bit afraid of them,always knew if i got into trouble it would go badly for me.Maybe todays kids just are'nt afraid of todays punishments.

Exactly my point. You should of course not have to live in fear of your parents, but kids should have enough respect or be intimidated enough if you like, by their parents, to be aware of the consequences of their actions and the punishments they could receive. The trouble is theirs no longer a fitting punishment allowed so their is no respect or fear of consequences by kids or some adults, of anybody or any thing.