PDA

View Full Version : R plates, N plates and restrictions on new drivers

LtShinySides
04-12-2012, 01:15 PM
If you are from northern Ireland you will know all about R plates, where once you pass your test your are restricted to 45 for one year. With plans to change this to an N plate for two years with no speed restriction and ristrictions on who you have in the car etc. In England no such system exists. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the matter?

berley
04-12-2012, 03:26 PM
I think it's a good idea for young drivers, I know the majority of them don't but a minority have no sooner passed their tests and think they have nothing better to do than impress their mates with speeding. At least if they need to drive within a certain limit for a year it'll give them valuable experience driving within a safe limit.

thelostone
04-12-2012, 06:17 PM
I totaly agree with it,it would be a good idea you only have to take a look at my sons car to know it would work:cussing:

tinkertiler
04-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Something needs to be done as when they get their shiney new licence that seems to give them a right to go hooning around like they are race drivers everywhere! The six points in two years thing isnt having much of a effect on new drivers as i constantly see them flying around in their 1.0 corsas with big bore exhausts and stereos blarring out as lound as they can! The amount of young people that get killed or seriously injured or injure others is so high and if you can curb that it has to be a step in the right direction.

I know in New Zealand i think it is they have a similar system and that seems to work well and also they have tight restrictions on what you can do to the car too with heavey fines if the car is modded.

Just because you have passed your test doesnt mean you can do as you like its a learning curve and everytime you set foot in a car or van ect you learn something new and how stupic other drives can be!

threeseven
06-12-2012, 01:22 AM
Seems like a sensible idea. I think OAP plates should be added into this too though. The road layouts and traffic controls are changing with priority over oncomming islands and what not, and some of the manouvers you see dottering old folk pull off are down right dangerous.

If you ever have to drive about through the week through the day you'll have an idea what I mean, 40 through a 60 and then continuing at 40 through a 30!

LtShinySides
06-12-2012, 01:36 AM
It isn't just old folk, the standard of driving these days is so low, Its not just Young drivers or OAPS. I think the R plate idea is good or at least some for of restriction on new drivers. That said i think there should be some kind of system in place to make sure that people who are just dangerous on the roads i.e people who do not signal properly and or do not use the highway code are punished because the roads in N.I anyway are just a dangous place to be due to the sheer number of incompetent drivers on the road.

scott2102
17-02-2013, 01:58 AM
i would say it would be a very good idea for young inexperienced drivers as in my line of work which is in vehicle salvage / dismantling we deal with a lot of accident damaged vehicles there is a fair few that have been involved in accidents which have ended with fatality's and more and more of these vehicles that we get in are / were owned by young people maybe if they learned to drive in a safer style for the first year instead of given a license and allowed to do as they please this wouldn't happen as often its such a shame, several of my friend have been involved in accidents through there own fault not long after passing there test and they were driving like looneys at the time