PDA

View Full Version : Freeview setup

alanjg007
18-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Is it possible to ditch sky and VM and still enjoy catchup tv and pvr functionality?

Due to price increases from the main media services(and future ones) i'm trying to see if I can create a system that your only initial outlay is the equipment. Once thats all bought then no monthly bill.

Has anyone done this, is it even possible?

Thanks for looking.

theoddbot
18-11-2012, 09:34 PM
We also got fed up of Sky's ever increasing costs and rubbish repeats of old BBC programmes so switched to freesat.

We bought the latest box that supports freetime and don't regret it one bit, we picked up the Humax HDR1000S 500GB from PC World.

If your lucky, your local comet may still have it in stock, they sell them for ?190.

There's more channels on freesat also and it will work with your existing dish :)

alanjg007
18-11-2012, 11:38 PM
We also got fed up of Sky's ever increasing costs and rubbish repeats of old BBC programmes so switched to freesat.

We bought the latest box that supports freetime and don't regret it one bit, we picked up the Humax HDR1000S 500GB from PC World.

If your lucky, your local comet may still have it in stock, they sell them for ?190.

There's more channels on freesat also and it will work with your existing dish :)

i have VM at the moment, will look into freesat tomorrow.

theoddbot
19-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Do you have a dish outside your house?

alanjg007
19-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Do you have a dish outside your house?

No dish, would have to be a complete new setup!

jackb
21-11-2012, 07:56 PM
It's quite expensive but a Youview box offers Catch up and On Demand through BBC iplayer and 4od. It's a freeview HD PVR with Internet features.

alanjg007
22-11-2012, 08:43 PM
It's quite expensive but a Youview box offers Catch up and On Demand through BBC iplayer and 4od. It's a freeview HD PVR with Internet features.

i think that 'hits the nail on the head'. I looked at the talktalk site and can get everything i need just paying ?29.00 With superfast fiber optic broadband coming in april.

theoddbot
23-11-2012, 02:13 PM
i think that 'hits the nail on the head'. I looked at the talktalk site and can get everything i need just paying ?29.00 With superfast fiber optic broadband coming in april.

I've been with TalkTalk in the past, the best thing I've ever done was cancel the service! it's truly an awful service. If your considering YouView, get it from BT!