PDA

View Full Version : Built in TV freesat question

parker123
08-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Hello. I have a TV that has freesat built in which we use alongside the basic virgin TV. The thing is it splits the channels up into 2 sections that you tune seperately etc and its annoying switching between them. What is the point of this 'other' section where some of the better channels like music are? Thanks.

digdug
08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
You have a TV (Video & Audio) section and a Radio (Audio only) section

They are split because of the differences and not to confuse anybody, TV in 1 section, Radio in the other

james4957
08-10-2012, 11:01 PM
i had a television like this aswell , i think the point is because the freesat tv guide is a set menu , like in the sky guide , you cant add extra channels to it as its standard, the other channels are channels that are manually scanned by you , the reason for this is that there are more channels that are free on the satellite which are free that do not appear in the freesat tv guide ( due to what channels have a deal with freesat ? ) for a list of other free to air channels available on 28.2 google "lyngsat or kingofsat", hopefully this has answered your question :)
regards

Rob Wright
09-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Freesat is as you know, a free to view satellite service.

Like every other operator, each broadcaster needs to pay a fee to be given a channel number to appear on its EPG. The advantages to this method is that you can tell your customers what channel you are on, And, if you need to change frequency, an EPG update can be performed and none of your customers would normally notice any different.

However,
Some broadcasters like Sky News, choose not to broadcast on Freesat's EPG. I'm not sure why. But, this is the same for a number of channels which are on Sky's EPG and not Freesat.

The OTHER menu option is for the channels that you can programme in manually that do not feature on Freesats EPG, such as Sky News. This still enables you to watch them with your assigned Channel Number, ie: 3001.

I agree it seems a bit of an arse about tit way of doing things, but it helps keep Freesat clean and tidy and less-congested unlike Sky, who have Free to view and subscription channels muddled together all over its EPG.

I hope this helps.

Also,
If your tv has a Freesat tuner built in, chances are its got an Ethernet port. If it has, plug it into the internet to access some more Internet-Delivered channels via Connected TV on Freeview. (Subject to device compatibility, supports most Freeview HD tv's).

Hope this helps.

parker123
10-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys, really good clear explanation. Yeah seems crazy to have 2 free lists but I guess it keeps things official. What really threw me is that some freesat channels are listed in both on the title bar but blank screened on 'other'.

You should see the wife with it.... the TV has freeview built in too and then there's virgin haha headache!