PDA

View Full Version : Freeview HD

Herdrid
24-09-2012, 12:15 AM
I've been thinking about getting Freeview HD for my 20" Tv in my bedroom. Is it worth it on such a small TV and will I be able to get it on a portable aerial do you think? Any reccomendations on a box?

storeymoore
24-09-2012, 02:10 AM
On small tv NO unless you watch it close. Your 20" tv does have an hdmi socket?
Portable aerial DEF NO maybe if you're high up and live within a couple of miles and have a direct (unobstructed) view of a main transmitter eg. Crystal Palace (South London), even then be touch and go.
Cheap set top box, you could try
i-Can Easy HD 2851T Freeview HD Set Top Box with BBC iPlayer & HDMI Cable
I believe its still on offer at ?29.99 at an online retailer, not fantastic but cheap, read the reviews to see if its suitable, gives you iplayer via wired inet connection too!

Evil Disco Guy
01-10-2012, 12:31 AM
You'll notice a slight increase in quality, especially with pixelation on certain channels, but nothing major on a 20" screen.

sandy289
25-10-2012, 11:52 PM
I notice quite a difference on a 28" screen so I imagine there would be a difference, however I suppose that the larger the screen the greater the benefit.

advd
26-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Does anybody know when they may be getting more than the 4 current HD channels on freeview?

user2012
27-10-2012, 10:40 PM
@advd

My understanding is that BBC HD is due to change to BBC2 HD next year. There is capacity for a fifth Freeview HD channel, and it seemed at one point that Channel 5 would bid for it, but that appears to have fallen through. Ofcom have now offered the BBC the use of the capacity on a temporary basis, which I think they used during the olympics.

weewilly
01-11-2012, 01:55 AM
I have freeview hd, it's actually supposed to be better than both virgin and sky hd as it broadcasts in 1080i and p

mr_nice_guy
01-11-2012, 02:04 AM
@advd

My understanding is that BBC HD is due to change to BBC2 HD next year. There is capacity for a fifth Freeview HD channel, and it seemed at one point that Channel 5 would bid for it, but that appears to have fallen through. Ofcom have now offered the BBC the use of the capacity on a temporary basis, which I think they used during the olympics.

There's a limit to the number of HD channels they can do? :O I was expecting to be seeing mostly HD channels everywhere in a few years time. :(

Gazer
01-11-2012, 04:45 PM
It is said that there will be upto 20 HD channels coming to freeview over the next few months
The HD Channels have now moved to 101-120 but only 5 of them up and working at the moment

101-BBC 1 HD 102-BBC HD OR BBC TWO HD 103-ITV HD OR STV HD 104-CH 4 HD 105 S4C Cirlum

Note that S4C Cirlun is due to close at the end of the year. BBC TWO HD is planned to replace the BBC HD channel at some point in 2012.

you can find out more here To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Regards Gazer

user2012
03-11-2012, 01:20 AM
I saw the recent retune as only reorganising the numbering of the HD channels and making provision for the future.

I don't see 20 further channels in the near future. Where is the capacity to come from ? If new spectrum was acquired it would have to be paid for, together with the annual running costs of any new multiplex.

It seems the content providers are placing their HD output behind paywalls on Sky ad Virgin.

paulmc1888
23-12-2012, 02:33 AM
Surely sky couldn't still charge the extra tenner a month for the hd package if it wee free on free view maybe that's why they haven't rolled out new channels uet

erasmus
31-12-2012, 03:26 PM
With regards to using an indoor aerial for freeview HD, I just recently bought an aerial that is specifically for HD signals as my roof aerial wasn't up to the job. It is fantastic and I now have full signal strength. All the HD channels come out perfectly without any interference. I got mine from ebay, so just search for freeview HD aerial and you should be fine.

big_cliff
31-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Are there more free-sat HD channels than freeview? I made my choice hoping that freeview would launch alot more channels but that was 2 years ago.....

dabsy123
24-12-2013, 01:58 AM
On small tv NO unless you watch it close. Your 20" tv does have an hdmi socket?
Portable aerial DEF NO maybe if you're high up and live within a couple of miles and have a direct (unobstructed) view of a main transmitter eg. Crystal Palace (South London), even then be touch and go.
Cheap set top box, you could try
i-Can Easy HD 2851T Freeview HD Set Top Box with BBC iPlayer & HDMI Cable
I believe its still on offer at ?29.99 at an online retailer, not fantastic but cheap, read the reviews to see if its suitable, gives you iplayer via wired inet connection too!

the ican box is brilliant works v well and great picture. Shame they stopped supporting it as enabling a recod feature onto usb would have been great