PDA

View Full Version : LED GU10 bulbs

tinkertiler
13-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I installed downlighters years ago and last year i changed the bulbs for LED GU10 bulbs and thought they was ok at best but they cut my electric bill down by alot so i put up with them tbh.

I started to hunt around for something a bit better and was very nearly tempted to go back to the old halogen bulbs as the LEDs were giving me a headache as the light was so dim off them. The original LEDs that i got was from B & Q and they were cheap ?1.50 each including the holder, yes they are great for shelves but thats about all main lighting a big no no im afraid so i got some off Ebay they was about ?20 for 15 if i remember correctly and they were a bright white but tbh they wasnt that bright lol so i kept them as the cost of running them was so low i just thought i would grim and bear it.

Ive just been redecorating and i realised that the bulbs were below par tbh as i was struggling with light while i was painting ect so i thought after i had finished i would look for some new ones. I found some SMD bulbs 24 smds per bulb and thought they sound ok but the price was putting me off somewhat as they was ?7 each!! So i carried on searching and i found these - To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. I thought for the price they have got to be worth a shot so i got 24, enough to do all the ones in my flat :) I started in the hallway put one in flicked the switch while looking at the bulb and bang! Nearly blind pmsl Oh i thought better get the others in did them all and now it all looks different! I can see what im destroying pmsl

If anyone is thinking that their LED bulbs are a bit dim and they need something a bit brighter or they are looking to upgrade to a LED from Halogen then i would highly recommend these bad boys as they are the nuts! They give off the equivelent or better that a 50 watt halogen they say 60 watt but im not sure all i know is they are 1000% better than the others i had in and thought i would share this info as i know how frustrating it is when you get a LED bulb, be prommissed the sun and get a match stick instead!!

Hope this helps someone in the future as i could have used with this info a long time ago :)

thelostone
13-09-2012, 08:50 PM
So you have seen the lightroflmaosorry couldn't resist that

tinkertiler
13-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Ha ha very funny thefreeone pmsl

pipo
14-09-2012, 12:43 AM
I have purchsed 10 of these and they are in use in my kitchen. they ARE awesome and make my granit tiles with those fancy specs sparkle. thoroughly recomend and endorse Tinkertilers comments. (Get the 6W ones!)

13-10-2012, 09:39 PM
interested in buying these what colour is best?
cheers

notanotherone
14-10-2012, 07:03 PM
am doing a kitchen extension and my sparky told how much money I was wasting with the small halogen lights and he's suggested we put these in in all areas including original kitchen part cheers tinks

tinkertiler
14-10-2012, 08:14 PM
My electric bill went down dramaticly when i changed over to these. There is no way i would go back to halogen as they are way too expensive to run and are a fire hazard too!! Get far too hot when the led ones are cool to the touch alot safer and alot cheaper to run :)

EDIT - 316 if you are looking for a light which is similar to a halogen light i.e a yellowish tinge then the day white ones are the ones you want if you want white bright white are the ones to go for.

14-10-2012, 08:46 PM
cheers thanks for your answer

Gazer
14-10-2012, 09:59 PM
I got the 3 led 6w ones two years ago for my new kitchen best thing ever 12 down lights in all...... all giving out 6watts each ..which is the same as having 12 x 50watts in each fitting ....but at the time i paid ?20 each for them
Good find Ticks ...will look at buying some spare's for the price they are now

Regards Gazer

tinkertiler
14-10-2012, 10:20 PM
They have gone up since i got them but they are still worth every penny! The ones i got the 24 smd are only 3.8 watt but they are brighter than the 50 watt halogens i had in before!! Wouldnt change them for anything now and everyone who has come round has commented on them being so good unlike the usual cheap LED bulbs that are about :) One of my friends who owns a lighting shop (Yes you did read right lol) came round saw them and proptly ordered some as he said he couldnt get anywhere near them on price and said how good they was! Made me chuckle lol

jetset
15-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Worth a try if you say they are that good..............I too have tried all manner of LEDs (got 10x GU50W in kitchen alone!) and none of them are bright enough, will report back results!!

alanjg007
16-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I have them installed in my kitchen......its blinding, Any other room looks dull now.

kingoo
17-10-2012, 07:13 PM
What is SMD?

I need some for kitchen and bathroom, which do you recommend, LED or SMD?

tinkertiler
17-10-2012, 08:10 PM
What is SMD LED? What are the benefits?

What Is SMD LED?

SMD LED stands for surface mount LED. Specifically, it's a light-emitting diode that is mounted onto and soldered onto a circuit board. An SMD LED is quite small since it has no leads or surrounding packaging that comes with a standard LED. This means it's best handled, not by a human, but by automated assembly equipment. An SMD LED also has a wide viewing angle, thanks to the fact that it does not have the standard LED's epoxy enclosure that focuses the beam.

Benefits of SMD LED

The SMD LED gives off very little heat. It also has a low voltage and current requirements. Like a standard light emitting diode, a surface mount LED gives off almost no heat. It also typically has similar low voltage and low current requirements. They are commonly used to indicate device status on computer motherboards, routers, hard drives, USB flash drives and any other application where physical space is at a premium. Computer motherboards, hard drives, routers, flash drives and other applications where there's no room for larger technology are also common uses.

Others include LCD display backlighting, keyboard lights, and pushbuttons. They've also been used for instrument panels in aircrafts. A few manufacturers have created an SMD LED lighting solution by combining it with a resistor, small circuit board, lens and cable to provide and bright, cool LED light that runs on just 12 volts, and which is tiny enough to be mounted almost anywhere, (for instance, to light a cup holder).

There are other, large-scale applications, too. For instance, they are used for indoor display screens. SMD LEDs work well because you can arrange a large number of diodes in tight groups of red, blue and green, generating a large variety of colors. This screen technology, which is now found in stores and malls, is now also popping up in large outdoor displays. More information, please come to lighting wiki here.

SMD LED gives high brightness while it has lower power consumption than of a normal LED light tubes (e.g. dip or cluster led) and traditional light bulbs. See its features below:

http://www.lightingmarket.co.uk/faq_info.html?faqs_id=128