PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Water Isolating Valve

Cable
09-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I need to repair some leaking (internal) water valves but my incoming water valve (1/2") is jammed open and will not shift. I have two options, one is to isolate from the incoming main, if that valve is not jammed, or use a freezing spray to form an ice plug in the pipework to allow me to change the valve.

Has anyone ever isolated their mains water from the street using a Universal stopcock key (it's the water boards property so may have legal implications) or used the spray freeze system. My concern with the freeze system is you just don't know the time you have to exact the repair if the jammed valve proves troublesome in removing.

I know you can purchase a mechanical freezing machine but they are expensive.

Your advice or experiences gratefully received.

Magnu420
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
dont you have a internal stop cock inside the house on ground floor
if so use that to shut of water supply going to the taps and toilet
its normaly located under the kitchen sink or if you have a cellar it be in there
somewhere,if no stopcock in house look for a metal grate in the backyard or front yard
and turn it off there

Cable
09-09-2012, 11:46 PM
It's my internal stop cock that is jammed and external to the property is the one in the pavement that i believe to be the property of the water board but can, i understand, be isolated in emergencies.

alanjg007
09-09-2012, 11:55 PM
It's my internal stop cock that is jammed and external to the property is the one in the pavement that i believe to be the property of the water board but can, i understand, be isolated in emergencies.

ive never found the one in my house and always use the one outside

Magnu420
09-09-2012, 11:59 PM
i would try and turn it off at the pavement one untill you get it all sorted
or you could one of these near your internal stop tap To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. maybe a plumber might give better advice

Cable
10-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks, but that self tapping connector is for spurring off an exisiting supply to create a secondary supply with isolating valve. I have decided to hire a pipe freezing kit from HSS Hire To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Not much more than buying the freeze spray cans plus you get longer to ensure a tight and leak free fit.

Gazer
11-09-2012, 12:47 PM

If it stops you from having a flood in the house you can use the main incoming that is in the street........that is what it is there for ;)
Then you will be able to replace the stopcock inside your house.

Cable
14-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Sorted. Picked up the water pipe freezing machine this morning from HSS on the Old Kent Road and sorted the two valves out. Pipe (15mm) was frozen in ten minutes and once the system was drained down it was easy to replace the jammed valves with new ones. Will break the old valves down to see what sh#t is on the inside. Water pressure has never been better.

pipo
14-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I was interested in noting your success, I bought a domestic version of a freezing kit from our local plumbase last year and had limited success, it did not freeze a 'big' enough plug and i got soaked...

Cable
16-09-2012, 11:59 PM
There was no way i could have frozen, drained down the system and replaced a single isolating valve in the 30 mins that the domestic freeze kits state that they last and would have ended up in the same situation as yourself with a very large puddle. The kit i hired from HSS has two freeze clamps which i positioned 6" apart and they froze a plug of water some 8" long down to -30c giving me plenty of time to replace the valves. For ?67 hire fee it was a lot cheaper than a plumber plus i knew what i had done. Replacing the double glazing next week by this company To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. who are giving me a great deal.