PDA

View Full Version : formatting the hard drive of a laptop

Jasman1234
13-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Hi, hopefully someone is able to help here.

I have an old works laptop, which, when you turn on, automatically loads with the setting set by my previous employer. This ultimately took you to a log in page that would eventually get you into windows. I was wanting to format the hard drive and reload Windows etc so that the laptop could be used as normal. I thought I would be able to access dos at the boot stage, unfortunately I am not getting the option? Has anyone any idea how I could format the hard drive? I apologise if this is brief, my knowledge of pc's is okay but not great (as you can probably tell!!)

Many thanks in advance.

J

charlie senator
13-08-2006, 01:16 AM
not to sure about laptops but with a pc you can just stick the windows disc in and when it says install windows just go from there

Declan
13-08-2006, 01:20 AM
jaz if you have a windows disk open up the bios and goto boot options and tell it to boot from the cd rom drive then it should install a clean copy of windows,and it will format it before it installs it, tho this is if u have the disk

satansoft
13-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Mmmm, Is it a big corporation you work for, because I have seen lots of laptops from big companies, and they quite often have custom BIOSs so they cant be tampered with and so that they will only boot into the company software.

I have a 2.5 to 3.5 inch converter that is very useful. cost about 7 quid from a computer fair. this allows me to take out the hard drive and stick it on the IDE interface of a standard desktop PC.

If your lucky, you can get into the BIOS and set the CD drive to be the first Boot Disk, then like the man says, pop in an XP disk and sit back.

Shipoftheline
13-08-2006, 01:12 PM
Could also have the HHD locked if its a decent corp it came from

n1qbal
13-08-2006, 01:55 PM
reinstall windows then it will have to restart the computer and u have to partion ur drive

Declan
13-08-2006, 03:26 PM
reinstall windows then it will have to restart the computer and u have to partion ur drive

this is all included in the installation, you are asked to create one for delete it then u have 4 options i think to full format or quick for ntfs and fat32 i think not too sure then it patitions it,formats, windows is installed and your done

maikash2747
14-08-2006, 05:38 AM
jaz if you have a windows disk open up the bios and goto boot options and tell it to boot from the cd rom drive then it should install a clean copy of windows,and it will format it before it installs it, tho this is if u have the disk

ur best bet mate

u need to get to bios and get it load from the cd then stick a xp install disc and that should be it....if the bios is locked then i cant say...try pressing the f5 or f8 key while booting it might let u get into dos

catman
14-08-2006, 10:40 PM
hi, you have 3 options;
keep delete key preesed
keep f2 key pressed
or
keep the f12 key pressed
one of these 3 should get you there (you still need the xp disc)

billy24
15-08-2006, 07:53 PM
It will only format in ntfs for windows xp

shenu
16-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Try disconnecting the hard drive and see whether you get any boot options
and if possible change the boot options from the bios

Zee
16-08-2006, 05:32 PM
If the BIOS is password protected search the net for the backdoor key, or a procedure to circumvent it.
I remember the usage of debug in DOS to corrup the CMOS.... :rolleye:

A quick google of 'forgotten bios password' then the third page down should tell you all you need to know. Including special methods for popular makes of laptop.

I would provide a linky but i'm a little fuzzy on the site rules regarding this so hopefully this' ok ;)

stlark
16-08-2006, 06:33 PM
some laptops you need to press and hold esc button during bootup to gain access to bios setup. what make is yours?

gwapo
25-08-2006, 12:20 PM
We need more info about your laptop so that we can help you. Can you access BIOS? Do you have cd/dvd drive? Floppy drive? USB, etc.