PDA

View Full Version : virgin media bb problems

Joshua111
05-07-2012, 03:25 AM
Hi guys was wondering if I could pick your brains.
I've just moved into a new bedsit and the landlord has got internet included in the rent. It's just me in the flat and the landlord and his wife downstairs...
I think they have the 20mb connection. The problem is that it's actually slower than dial up. I can barely get the google search screen up, never mind anything of actual use. My landlord's said that they've contacted virgin and had engineers round and basically done everything they can but the problem can't be fixed citing something about the house being too far away from the exchange... Two questions really, is this true? And secondly are they tied into the contract still? as they're making no effort to change providers... Thanks Josh

BraveHeart
05-07-2012, 03:27 AM
Hi guys was wondering if I could pick your brains.
I've just moved into a new bedsit and the landlord has got internet included in the rent. It's just me in the flat and the landlord and his wife downstairs...
I think they have the 20mb connection. The problem is that it's actually slower than dial up. I can barely get the google search screen up, never mind anything of actual use. My landlord's said that they've contacted virgin and had engineers round and basically done everything they can but the problem can't be fixed citing something about the house being too far away from the exchange... Two questions really, is this true? And secondly are they tied into the contract still? as they're making no effort to change providers... Thanks Josh

is it fiber optic virgin or is it virgin through the phone cables first of all ? (you mention an exchange, that would genrally mean through the phone cables in old school speak, but you could be picking that up wrong, thats why its important to know) ?

BraveHeart
05-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Another thing is, if they have the main router/modem in thier location and not yours and you cant get the password to make any changes etc, they can simply change the setting so that you only get a little speed and they get the rest, simple as that, but you need to know what your doing before you even venture down that road, but if your willing to contribute more info etc then the help is here mate :)

Joshua111
05-07-2012, 03:40 AM
It's definitely through phone cables I'm afraid. It's a bit of a backwater here... My old place had fibre optic which was lush. I don't think they're limiting the speed for me as they complain just as much as I do about it. Plus their not savv enough to do something like that

berley
05-07-2012, 10:36 AM
If you have a laptop ask them if you can do a speed test from their wired connection, or ask if you can check it on their computer.

Then put your landlords postcode into checker
https://national.virginmedia.com/myservices/selectCustomerType if you find there's a massive difference then your landlord has cause for complaint.

Ollie Smith
23-10-2012, 02:30 AM
My virgin media bb has been dropping out over the past two days. i am in Lockwood, Huddersfield on a 30mb line. anyone else?