PDA

View Full Version : Any Plumbers Here

fergalsworld
03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
After a bit of advice
I am decorating the old girls living room and replacing the skirting boards and the radiator for her,
as you can see from the pictures the pipe work to the radiator is is crap, it was done over 20 odd years ago and I want to tidy it up and maybe put it in some conduit to hide it.

Can I cut it were I have arrowed and take it down to that 10mm copper pipe that you get on a roll or am I best just replacing it with 15mm copper pipe which it is now?
Thanks for looking.

dave_moore
03-07-2012, 08:52 AM
that copper pipe on a role as you so put it micro bor STAY AWAY heating systums have that much crap runing through them it will just clog and cause endless problems.

is the wall solid if not id chace it out and run the pipes in it then get a nice rad cover to hide the pipe under neath. other wise just box in the pipes down the wall.

plasterer
03-07-2012, 12:32 PM
I cut mine down to the stuff on the roll and ran it under my bate when i moved a rad
Never had any probs yet
That was 5 yeaes ago,As for rad covers all the do is keep the heat in ,there a no go for me
Thats a plasterers advice anyways good luck...............Paul

Think wiz is a plumber fegal, he will know

Gazer
03-07-2012, 12:52 PM
If it was me i would cut it were you marked it
Then use a 15mm Copper Pushfit coupling with a new bit of 15mm copper tube and a 15mm Copper Pushfit Elbow then another bit of 15mm tube to your valve ........but thats just me who works in a 480 bedroom hotel lol but don't forget to drain the system down first, otherwise you might end up getting a callout from me pmsl
you can get them from the likes of wickes and screwfix

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. http://www.wickes.co.uk/copper-pushfit-elbow-15mm/invt/195166/

Spinifex
03-07-2012, 01:55 PM
he shudnt need to drain the system gaz? it wont be under pressure a slong as the pump isnt running?

they took off our bathroom one while tiling and no water came out of either ends, only water that wud come out is whats in the rad itself!
but that got tipped down the loo quick style.

wullboy
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
seemingly it`s not recommended to drop down to micro bore piping as it can cause flow problems [ under load ] most plumbers are back working with 15mm copper pipe now !!

Gazer
03-07-2012, 03:21 PM
he shudnt need to drain the system gaz? it wont be under pressure a slong as the pump isnt running?

they took off our bathroom one while tiling and no water came out of either ends, only water that wud come out is whats in the rad itself!
but that got tipped down the loo quick style.

@spini they would of closed the valves on each side of your rad in your bathroom before taking the rad off the wall.

With fergs he is on about cutting into the main pipe which is feeding the rad before the valves which will still be live untill drained down and if it is tank feed which it looks like to me ...water will keep coming out untill main feed to the tank is turned off in the loft.

Regards Gazer

Spinifex
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
@spini they would of closed the valves on each side of your rad in your bathroom before taking the rad off the wall.

With fergs he is on about cutting into the main pipe which is feeding the rad before the valves which will still be live untill drained down and if it is tank feed which it looks like to me ...water will keep coming out untill main feed to the tank is turned off in the loft.

Regards Gazer

understood, didnt take that into account!
but i did even mention to me dad how come the loft tank didnt piss out the end of the pipes but ive now put 2+2 together and made 4 now.

thanks.

p.s im not that dumb tho i know how to balance a system i learn quick :)

fergalsworld
03-07-2012, 03:49 PM
If it was me i would cut it were you marked it
Then use a 15mm Copper Pushfit coupling with a new bit of 15mm copper tube and a 15mm Copper Pushfit Elbow then another bit of 15mm tube to your valve ........but thats just me who works in a 480 bedroom hotel lol but don't forget to drain the system down first, otherwise you might end up getting a callout from me pmsl
you can get them from the likes of wickes and screwfix

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Thanks for the reply
I am going to tidy the pipe work up with 15mm as suggested and then some of this double pipe cover and clips from here

h**p://To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Also can I do away with that drain valve and get one of these instead for the out on the radiator as even if I replace the drain off valve with a new one it wont fit in the pipe cover above

All the other rads in the house have one of valves below on
http://www.discountheating.com/images/valves/lockshield_angled_drainoff%20300.jpg

Spinifex
03-07-2012, 04:21 PM
or you could just box in the pipes and paint the radiator?

would save alot of work for what? a move of some pipes to look straighter?
wonky pipes isnt the worst thing in the world. our hallway one and downstairs WC the pipework was rushed and off centre and hangs over the skirting!

the hardest part is deciding to paint the new pipes with gloss or the wall lmao

Gazer
04-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the reply
I am going to tidy the pipe work up with 15mm as suggested and then some of this double pipe cover and clips from here

h**p://To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Also can I do away with that drain valve and get one of these instead for the out on the radiator as even if I replace the drain off valve with a new one it wont fit in the pipe cover above

All the other rads in the house have one of valves below on
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Yes you can do away with the old one and use that on other side if you like m8 ....at the end of the day you dont need them on every rad as long as you got a drain off somewere downstairs ;)

Gazer
31-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Did you ever get this sorted ?

fergalsworld
01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Did you ever get this sorted ?
Yes all sorted I used conex push fits plus renewed all the pipe work and enclosed it all in some plastic conduit
I will post a piccie tomorrow:)