PDA

View Full Version : truecrypt

dave_moore
03-07-2012, 02:34 AM
hope its not a repost

after reading the thread on konboot and using it to see if it worked witch it did and very well it did to won 7 64 bit i went to look for another way to
add extra security

and found To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. i was hoping to find a second password to windows but to no avail however after testing this for a while have found it to be quite
usefull and its FREE

T r u e C r y p t

Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux

Main Features:

Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Parallelization (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and pipelining (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
Encryption can be hardware-accelerated (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. on modern processors.
Provides plausible deniability (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

Hidden volume (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and hidden operating system (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. hers the first two screen shots on the site

http://1.2.3.13/bmi/To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Main TrueCrypt Window

http://1.2.3.11/bmi/To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. thanks for looking and head over to the site To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. for a look :)

dave_moore
03-07-2012, 04:46 PM
any comments people. :)

digdug
03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Windows passwords are and always have been a joke and easily bypassed

BIOS passwords are better but Desktops can be removed by a simple jumper or by removing the battery. Laptops are harder because removing the battery will not work because the BIOS password is stored usually in an EEPROM or in a hidden sector on the hard disk but most laptops show you a hash after 3 wrong attempts from which a master password can be calculated and used instead of the real password

Encryption systems like Truecrypt is the only way to go IMO if you want to protect your data but it wont protect your machine because it can just be formatted and re-used

Do not rely on it tho as they can be hacked but not very easily :)

Spinifex
03-07-2012, 05:19 PM
whatever password you need to protect ya pc with make sure its the longest either the bios allows and make it unique but you can see it on your keyboard :)

p.s ya big gay

digdug
03-07-2012, 06:46 PM
whatever password you need to protect ya pc with make sure its the longest either the bios allows and make it unique but you can see it on your keyboard :)

I agree with the length of password but wont make difference for windows or the BIOS because windows can be bypassed and the BIOS can be bypassed by jumper, battery removal or with a master password regardless of the length of the original password

For everything else use a long password that is not a normal word. Use upper and lower case, numbers and speical characters so it wont be bruteforced easily
You can generate random passwords easily online HERE (http://www.pctools.com/guides/password/) :)

Spinifex
03-07-2012, 07:10 PM
you can excuse digdugs generator i never trust a machine... do u honestly trust camelot lol

dave_moore
04-07-2012, 05:21 PM
so dose anyone know of a better way to up the security of windows login passwords or a third party security program i know there is face id and finger print recognition but am wanting some thing to say if my pc got taken thay could not see any installed programs or if the passwords was entered wrong the hard drive would erase all data???

thanks

dave_moore
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
bump to my question above thanks guys. :)

BraveHeart
06-07-2012, 11:22 PM
you could lock encrypt the hard drive but its a pain in the arse, been down that road myself, it takes forever, its one of those jobs you would need to leave the program running for hours and hours on end to get done, I.E, overnight etc depending on size of hard drive, and then anything you want to add into the drive has to be enrcypted and added etc too.