PDA

View Full Version : apps

geezer01
02-07-2012, 12:26 AM
hi all...i was just wandering if anyone has made a apple or android phone app....if so, is it easy?
i want to learn abit about webdesign and constructing phone apps...if anyone can point me in the right direction it will be much appreciated

kevram
04-07-2012, 12:26 AM
For Iphone you would need to know a bit of Objective C and Xcode. plenty online tutorials out there, you would however need to pay $99 to deply apps to your phone. Also you really need a mac to code on
Havent done any android though.

Check out https://developer.apple.com/ probably your best starting point. Now a load of videos available from there for the upcoming iOS 6

spyked
04-07-2012, 02:02 AM
Hi guys. I'm a lead iOS developer of a UK company so can try to answer any questions you might have about developing apps. We also have Android developers, but I don't know much about that side of things.

To geezer01: there are ways of creating iOS apps without buying a Mac, but if you really want to write a killer iPhone/iPad app you're going to have to invest in one. You will, of course, be able to also write Android apps using the same machine so you have to decide early on if native (Objective-C & iOS SDK) apps are something you definitely want to get into or not. There's also the yearly $99 Apple Developer fee if you want to install your apps on devices (or submit to the App Store) but you can develop using the excellent simulator that comes with Xcode for free.

Your other option is to use something like PhoneGap - http://phonegap.com. PhoneGap is a native wrapper that allows HTML5 and JavaScript access to native functions that wouldn't otherwise be possible from a web app. Examples include taking a photo, getting accelerometer outputs, etc. Also uploading files to websites which is something you can't do from mobile Safari until iOS 6 later this year! The other service PhoneGap provide is a remote build server, meaning you don't need a Mac to generate the app. You write the HTML, JavaScript & CSS and send it all off and get a wrapped app back. You'll still need the paid Apple Dev account, but at least you won't need to buy an iMac or MacBook to get started!

Feel free to ask if there's anything specific you want to know...