PDA

View Full Version : DVD server

jiggy
22-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know of a bit of kit that would let me rip, store, and access all of my dvds via a set top box or tv menu? Need to free up some shelf space for trinkets and ornaments. The dvds would, of course, be kept in a nice cosy box in the loft.

alanjg007
23-06-2012, 08:30 AM
is this what your on about?

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Would it not be cheaper just to get some sorta media streamer, and have a NAS to store the movies on?

jiggy
25-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Thanks alan, the how-to guide does illustrate what I'd like to do but its a bit beyond my skill level to assemble (and the kaleidascope system is a tiny bit out of my price range too!). A friend mentioned the apple tv system as a possibility but I didn't think you could rip dvds to itunes?

Downer an
26-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Perhaps not quite what u want but I have been ripping DVD's to my external Hard drive which is obviously connected to my computer which in turn is connected to my tv. They automatically load in alphabetical order and after I have watched them I can drag and drop into a "Watched" folder. The program I use is "1click dvd copy." U have to pay for it and there are free programs available but I find 1click very reliable. Hope this helps in some way.

alanjg007
26-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks alan, the how-to guide does illustrate what I'd like to do but its a bit beyond my skill level to assemble (and the kaleidascope system is a tiny bit out of my price range too!). A friend mentioned the apple tv system as a possibility but I didn't think you could rip dvds to itunes?

what about something like this
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. and a NAS drive?

jiggy
08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks Downer, that seems the simplest approach. I've not got TV and computer linked as yet but I believe the bit of kit alan has directed me to should be ideal. Many thanks to you both! I shall advise on the results when I've had a go at it (moving house soon so it might be a few weeks off yet!).

tame
30-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Sorry for re-animating an old thread, wasnt sure if my question was worth starting a new thread since its kinda on topic with the theme of this thread

I'm currently converting my DVD collection to MKV/M4V format. I had to redo 3 days worth of ripping after i found the rips were awful (blocky images in fast or dark scenes also the movie ran a bit jittery).

I was using a mixture of Handbrake and DVDfab to rip and encode DVDs to MKV. The only settings i changed were to do with audio. I tried farting about (technical term) with image quality but i just buggered the aspect ratio of the movie an everything looked quashed or was a small box with a huge black border around it.

so that idea got binned.

I'm currently ripping with DVDShrink then encoding with Handbrake, everything seems to be going ok but its taking donkeys to do it.

So my question is, what do you guys use? if its Handbrake or DVDfab, what settings are you using?

(I tried the above one click DVD software but it seemed be just another DVDShrink)

Ta