PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream Sandwich powering just 7 per cent of Android phones

thelostone
07-06-2012, 05:19 PM
The latest version of Google?s Android operating system powers less than one in ten handsets, figures that lay bare the extent of the fragmentation problems that continue to blight the platform.
Of all the handsets used to access the Google Play download market in the 14 days to June 1st, just 7.1 per cent were running the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) version of Android.

This is despite the fact that ICS debuted over eight months ago on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and has since rolled out to huge-selling handsets such as the Galaxy S2 in most territories.
Gingerbread, the previous and now more than a little creaky version of the OS, which first breathed its way back in December 2010, is powering 65 per cent of Android smarties.
Meanwhile, Android 2.2, A.K.A Froyo, which is even more dusty than Gingerbread is on 19.1 per cent of handsets.
The stats underline the perils of Google?s free and easy approach to manufacturing partners and the splintering of the platform that has occurred as a result.
The irksome, time-consuming demands this puts on developers is hampering the creation of apps and has made turning a profit from Android applications much harder than it is on rival platforms, namely Apple's iOS.

rvm83
16-06-2012, 09:19 PM
i have just upgraded to ICS 4.03 on my galaxy s2 and have found it to be very buggy. Phone locks up and hangs most of the time.Duno if anyone else has problems?

Considering going back to gingerbread 2.3.4 until 4.0.4 is released or considering a rom which is for nexus but works on galaxy s2, they say its much better than the normal version ICS. not quite sure which way to go.

I feel alot of people are still on older android versions due to it not seeming very simple to upgrade. I was confused for a bit and quite scared to start tinkering with upgrading and backing up etc but once i started found it quite simple. I think all the warning messages about losing data etc puts people off changing anything. Titanium back is a godsend of an app, a must have for anyone upgrading i would say- root required tho.

albsmit82
16-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I upgraded to ICS on Galaxy S2 a few weeks ago. So far so good, no real issues. Notification sounds at 7 am not appreciated! Managed to stop that. Main grief is losing the Sky Go Service - when are they going to make it available for the new os? Not made clear before I upgraded.

ontheedge
18-06-2012, 11:19 AM
i recently upgraded to nexus ics cm9 on my hd2, not had a problem with it so far and i'm very happy with it.

dpd238
28-06-2012, 12:43 AM
I haven't bothered to upgrade my Galaxy S2 - still on 2.3.4. I've rooted my phone so I can use Magic Lantern Controller for my DSLR & a few other apps and I just can't justify the hassle of upgrading, re-rooting etc. Maybe when the issues mentioned above are ironed out or I've got more free time to fiddle around with rooting etc. I do quite enjoy meddling when I've got a spare moment.

Onpoint
02-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I updated my Samsung Galaxy S to custom ROM Slim ICS a couple of weeks ago, not had any problems and works better than the previous 2.3.5 Official version I was on in general - battery life has certainly improved! This way i'm managing to squeeze a bit more life out of it before having to upgrade the phone... quite happy with it for now though, which I wasn't whilst still on gingerbread.

dirtmgert
07-07-2012, 11:51 PM
It took a while for Kies to recognize my phone when connected via my laptop. Wasn't a pc as the phone showed up at connected and I was able to browse it via Windows Explorer, then suddenly one day I try and it worked and finally upgraded. Wouldn't say it was well worth upgrading my Galaxy S-2 as it doesn't seem to do anything different apart from have a fancy new layout.

mccoo1
08-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah I love it, runs so much smoother.

Storm
16-07-2012, 03:28 AM
I tried a [non fully functional] Jellybean Rom on a One X today and damn it's fast/smooth! Can't wait for it to be officially released on my S3!

nathan1223
18-08-2012, 09:24 PM
The update is good and fast on the HTC sensation

Loki5550
13-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Updated my HTC sensation and had nothing but trouble , even returning it to a service centre for a complete software re-installation . Not sure it is working still

didsss
15-10-2012, 12:36 PM
DON'T bother upgrading the Galaxy S2 to ICS its utter poop...
Its done nowt but chuff up me phone...wish I had never done it..
:-(

DessertDog
15-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Strange cos i have had it on mine since it was released and runs great mines 16gig dunno if that helps

braidhaugh
28-10-2012, 08:35 PM
I have been desperate to get hold of this for my Desire S, does anyone know if they are actually planning on releasing ICS for the desire S?