PDA

View Full Version : Retro Gaming Anyone??

delorean88mph
03-06-2012, 02:09 AM
So I was going through my Sega Game Gear collection and thought I would start a thread on here for any fans of retro, curious to see what consoles people still like to have connected now days

my personal preferences being SNES and Master System (1st Generation) ... Never did like the design of the MSII

Delorean88mph

threeseven
03-06-2012, 11:31 PM
I just came across my game gear when clearing the attic. Put some batteries in it for a laugh and it only had 1 dead pixel!
I should have a mega drive somewhere too

douglaswalkers
05-06-2012, 08:53 AM
So I was going through my Sega Game Gear collection and thought I would start a thread on here for any fans of retro, curious to see what consoles people still like to have connected now days

my personal preferences being SNES and Master System (1st Generation) ... Never did like the design of the MSII

Delorean88mph

Retro gaming is also called old school game. I am using Sega Mega Drive. Today it is more popular in gaming world because it has so many features like it allow to connect portable CD players that is used for entertainment. Nintendo Sixty-Four is also very popular and best console.

Erol Huseyin
06-06-2012, 12:52 AM
I came across my Amiga CD32 last year. Always loved it as a kid, but its a shame that it never took off. It deserved to be bigger than it was, but it just didn't have the impressiveness of the PS1. Programmers seemed to play safe with the common 2D games, unlike Playstation, where many of it was groundbreaking.

Still hold my tiny candle for the CD32 though. Zool all the way :D

delorean88mph
06-06-2012, 03:28 AM
I just came across my game gear when clearing the attic. Put some batteries in it for a laugh and it only had 1 dead pixel!
I should have a mega drive somewhere too

Nice one, i have a few duplicate rare games if you are interested, and look after that beauty, she may need new capacitors soon, sega put leaky ones in :-S

On a seperate note, i'm going to be performing a 60hz mod on my mega drive 1 console later this week, i'll throw some pics on here during the process :-)

Anyone else on here dabbled in console modding?

Delorean88mph

santakine
10-06-2012, 12:28 PM
A pc is actually a retro machine. it was made ages ago. and are'nt designed for gaming (just like arcade machines)

dave_moore
10-06-2012, 03:10 PM
all you silly people lol look up on google emulator there free if you find the right one thay simulate on you pc 99% of games for eg im playing conkers bad fer day Nintendo 64 and golden eye Nintendo 64 also BTCC for the play station at the min.

i have loads of games rageing from ds to saga mega drive ect all on the pc no need to keep your old consoles.

now to my best gamen its a toss up between

:-conkers bad fer day and perfect dark Nintendo 64

swiv 3d for windows 98

Diablo13
10-06-2012, 09:34 PM
I still use my PS2 if that counts?
Lots of really playable story driven games on that, like the Final Fantasy series.
I have used a couple of emulators on my pc as well, for NES and SNES games, but found they can be a bit hit and miss in operation?
You often seem to get problem with saving your game to come back to as well?
If you get one which is in English not Japanese, then even using a 360 controller some of the gameplay is not as responsive as it was on the original console?
Which makes jumps etc harder to time and judge. :banghead:
Despite the simple graphics capability on those old machines, or maybe because of it, more effort was put into the actual play and story,by the makers. Instead of today's graphics concentrated games?
There was an excitement and atmosphere to their RPG's like Zelda, Castlevania and Alundra which is somehow missing on newer versions of those games on modern consoles? :(

threeseven
10-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I tried an emulator on my old jailbroken iphone, it was terrible. The sound was out of sync, the controls unresponsive and general gameplay was jumpy

dave_moore
10-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I tried an emulator on my old jailbroken iphone, it was terrible. The sound was out of sync, the controls unresponsive and general gameplay was jumpy

thats just your iphone mate pmsl

Collider
10-06-2012, 11:53 PM
Cant beat a mame 32 arcade emulator on the pc,brings back memories of the arcades

ontheedge
18-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Still have all my old consoles packed away somewhere, nes, snes, n64, amiga, ps1, ps2. Now a days i just emulate them all on PC, much easier and saves space haha

douglaswalkers
20-06-2012, 10:58 AM
Still have all my old consoles packed away somewhere, nes, snes, n64, amiga, ps1, ps2. Now a days i just emulate them all on PC, much easier and saves space haha

But which console still do you have and why yo emulate them on PC? I am already use PC and PlayStation 3 for playing game. Some types of games are more enjoyable on OC and some are on PS3 so I am using both.

fvwuser321
21-06-2012, 03:17 AM
Still regularly enjoy emulated Sonic 2 and Road Rash on my Nokia N900 - one of the few good tricks about the phone.. The modern Sonic releases have actually been pretty decent in my opinion, wish that Road Rash would get a revamp though!"

douglaswalkers
21-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Still regularly enjoy emulated Sonic 2 and Road Rash on my Nokia N900 - one of the few good tricks about the phone.. The modern Sonic releases have actually been pretty decent in my opinion, wish that Road Rash would get a revamp though!"

Sonic 2 and Road Rash are best games I also play Sonic 2 but I think you should try Super Star Wars, Final Fantasy VII and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask. These all are best and I am you you will enjoy it.

benjio
04-07-2012, 02:16 AM
I still dig out the Mega Drive to play stuff like Toejam and Earl.

jjaquis
06-07-2012, 12:56 AM
I have every issue of the wonderful Retro Gamer mag since the first. I was a Commodore fan, starting with the C16 (Best game Tom Thumb), C64 (Paradroid), Amiga 500 (Sensible Soccer) and Amiga 1200 (Frontier Elite 2). My favourite PC retro game has to be Grim Fandango.

BigWobblyAss
07-07-2012, 01:29 AM
I too get Retro Gamer magazine *YES MAGAZINE - NOT E-MAGAZINE*

I was also a Commodore fan, having a 64 with disc drive, although I then went onto an Amstrad 2086 (In effect an upgraded IBM XT) as I was more interested in business programming by then, although I did get hold of a ZX Spectrum a few years back, which my son has now decided to use!!!!

leezer
07-07-2012, 02:49 AM
Sega Mega Drive - cant beat a bit of "streets of rage" !!! golden axe, mortal kombat and fifas were ofcourse 2nd best to it

BraveHeart
07-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Right, theres got to be an emulator to use that allows a lot of these old games to run on windows 7 x64 surely ?

does anyone know of one or is this thread just discussing games, I would genuinely like to know as theres a few golden oldies I would like to play on windows 7 x64.

Anyone know ?

If anyone is just using this thread to post so that they can gain access to other things then please dont reply to me, I just want genuine good post replys please thanks :)

frankbutcher29
07-07-2012, 11:54 PM
1st gaming experience was on a BBC Micro in the early 80's. I absolutely loved Chucky Egg;

http://www.repton3.co.uk/chuckieegg.aspx

mccoo1
08-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Found my Sega Mege drive in the attic a few weeks back and have been playing it daily sincelol. Brings back so many memories from when i was a kid. Streets of Rage was brilliant.

worktop
08-07-2012, 01:45 PM
I have a large collection of old consoles in the attic, including atari and mega drives and very old antique pong game system and they all still work and i will be getting them down soon to show my grandkids as im sure they would like them and it would also keep them from under my feet!

BraveHeart
08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
i have all the old consoles that money can buy from the old days in my attick to be honest, must be worth a fortune :)

cheevee
08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
I found the game gear i got from my cousin, wonderboy hoorah. Also shinobi!
Hard but great fun. But the nes/snes gotta be my fav nothing like multiplayer beat em up battle frogs lol

barneyg
10-07-2012, 08:55 AM
When I get depressed (usually with the weather) I have a blast at the original Doom - you can't beat it. The emulator is available for Mac and PC from
http://zdoom.org/Download

Brian
(http://zdoom.org/News)

nacar
18-07-2012, 10:13 PM
The revenge of shinobi, SOR2 and sonic on the megadrive in the 90s were good times indeed. I also loved the old point and click adventure games on the PC. I'm gonna have to start digging these games out again at some point.

mufasa
18-08-2012, 02:35 AM
I still have my sega megadrive II in working condition, waiting for the day it'll be an antique and make me rich ;) also I quite like playing the original pokemon games if you can call them retro!

Marvlous
20-08-2012, 12:17 AM
I just pulled my old snes out the loft and was suprised it still worked. Put on Street Figher 2 turbo, total classic game. I still remember playing it everyday after school. I couldn't believe i still remembered the old cheat code to get extra turbo stars! Put the code in and rolled back the years.

Not to forget my super mario kart. Regardless of all the new versions of Mario Kart, i still think the Snes version was the best.

ploder
18-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Play the original gameboy sometimes. For some reason all the power adaptors used to break down after a certain time and your console would switch off by itself :( That and the 'gameboy thumb'.

tbiggy
31-12-2012, 12:19 AM
man I still dig out my snes play some mario kart multiplayer!

erasmus
31-12-2012, 02:08 AM
I used to have a PC Engine. Anyone remember them? It played games that were about the size of a credit card. Used to love a game called Splatterhouse.

Always wanted a Neo Geo when I was a kid, but they were so expensive (and still are as far as I know).

Anyone else have any obscure consoles? Atari Jaguar? 3DO?

toString
01-01-2013, 01:24 PM
I still have a sega game gear in the loft!

The screen has a lot of dust behind it (god knows how!) I'm always tempted to open it up and clean it, but fear of breaking it always stops me...

Bleedblack
11-01-2013, 12:52 PM
In my time I've owned several models of the Atari, the Spectrum ZX, Commadore 64, and then more 'recent' ones from the original Gameboy onwards.
The GB is the only 'retro' console I still have, I introduced the missus to it for Tetris and Super Mario 1/2, so it still gets a fair amount of use.

Long live retro games.

scott1234
12-01-2013, 03:43 AM
This site looks good http://coolrom.com

GunCock
13-01-2013, 04:09 AM
Was rooting through the loft last night and dug out my SNES, complete with scope, 2 pads and 6 games.
Super Probotector, Super Bomber-Man, cant even count the number of times I've completed those 2.
Would literally play and finish one of them with my bro as soon as we got home from school, then do it again the next day.

A lot of modern games simply dont have that kind of replayability

Tsu1975
15-01-2013, 12:30 AM
My boys loved playing Mario Kart on my old N64, even more than on the wii. All I could think was that the cartridges made it seem more like a toy than a computer. It was good to see it get some use again more than 15 years after I packed it away

didsss
18-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Visit

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. New up & coming young lad by the name of Lee can sort out all your retro games fantasies...

The Abyss
22-01-2013, 09:14 PM
I still play my N64 from time to time, hopefully i can find some more of the classic games i don't currently have when i have the money