PDA

View Full Version : Freeview to second room without aerial or cable

Viper123
02-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Im looking at putting a tv into a bedroom and would like to get the freeview channels with it.

Unfortunatly I do not have an aerial socket in that room and am unable to put a cable through a wall to get it there (rented property)

Does any one have any suggestions on how to do this, I was looking at something similar to the network adapter plugs but dont think that these would work fo tv signal or the wiring would actual transmit it.
Other option would be setting up some sort of wireless reciever?

Magnu420
02-06-2012, 01:12 AM
you thought about av sender
have a search on here you find plenty threads about them

richard77138
02-06-2012, 01:28 AM
I don't know of any way to send the actual aerial signal but an av/ir sender would transmit the picture and enable you to use the remote in the other room. http://www.maplin.co.uk/audio-video-sender-kit-2727-44469

alanjg007
02-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Would it not be easier to buy an indoor amplified aerial? I did that for my sister and ran a cable so the aerial was sitting on the window sil. I'm assuming your tv has freeview built in or separate box attached?

dave_moore
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
i got one of theas for the kids room To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. worked a treat

trueblue
03-06-2012, 01:01 AM
Easily done over WIFI if you have it. You need a cheap or old PC you can put a TV card into to attach your aerial to. You then stream that using something like Windows Media Encoder or VLC. You then can just have a cheap PC at the other end watching the stream. All easily done using 2 shuttle machines and you can also get software and hardware that will allow remote changing of channels.

storeymoore
03-06-2012, 02:25 AM
I would try if your on average or better terms with your landlords to ask for permission to drill to get an aerial feed in to a socket. So long as a reasonable job is made ie. you use a proper socket and it looks as least as neat as the property is, then its actually enhancing yhe room and their property.
For whatever reason if you dont think that would work, then dont draw their attention to what you want to. Have thorough look as to where you could get a co-ax cable in without drilling. A disused socket or hole, around the door frame, under door, there is usually some way into a room for ventilation reasons. Is there a loose floor board you could thread cable down, along, then up, or out a window and in again in the bedroom concerned.

dave_moore
03-06-2012, 05:38 AM
pmsl what a read pmsl

Easily done over WIFI if you have it. You need a cheap or old PC you can put a TV card into to attach your aerial to. You then stream that using something like Windows Media Encoder or VLC. You then can just have a cheap PC at the other end watching the stream. All easily done using 2 shuttle machines and you can also get software and hardware that will allow remote changing of channels.

I would try if your on average or better terms with your landlords to ask for permission to drill to get an aerial feed in to a socket. So long as a reasonable job is made ie. you use a proper socket and it looks as least as neat as the property is, then its actually enhancing yhe room and their property.
For whatever reason if you dont think that would work, then dont draw their attention to what you want to. Have thorough look as to where you could get a co-ax cable in without drilling. A disused socket or hole, around the door frame, under door, there is usually some way into a room for ventilation reasons. Is there a loose floor board you could thread cable down, along, then up, or out a window and in again in the bedroom concerned.

ffuhchu
05-06-2012, 11:57 PM
We have an Apple TV running XBMC and the TV Catchup addon - works great.

This is streaming over the internet though - rather than using your existing signal - so no good if your internet connection isn't great, or is overly metered. We don't watch a huge amount of telly in the bedroom so it works well for us.

EDIT: It's not all the freeview channels though, has the main ones.

paddycopley84
23-06-2012, 11:29 PM
you can buy an wirless trasnmitter and pug it into the bax of the freeview box or tv where the ariel goes in and then you have a receiver in the room you wish and that will work , as i use it to transmit my sky to a second room so don't see why it won't work with freeview.