PDA

View Full Version : Future of mobile phones? Robot can climb out of your pocket and whisper in your ear

thelostone
22-05-2012, 05:01 PM
To me this is just creepy lol
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. If you're wondering how the inevitable robot apocalypse will take place, here's a hint: Chinese researchers have invented the world's first cloth-climbing robot, which can grasp onto creases and climb up your clothing, perch on your shoulder, and potentially whisper messages into your ear, according to IEEE Spectrum.

One possible application for the so-called Clothbot involves inspiring a new generation of mobile phones that are capable of autonomously crawling up to your ear whenever the phone rings.

It gives new meaning to the idea of owning a "mobile" phone. And as if having a phone crawl out of your pants isn't creepy enough, researchers also envision the device doubling as a Tamagotchi-like pet, which could roost on your shoulder or follow you around.

Clothbot works thanks to a gripping mechanism that creates a wrinkle in a piece of clothing. It then clasps onto the crease with a pair of opposed gripper wheels and proceeds to drive straight up. To keep its balance and adjust its climbing trajectory, the robot comes equipped with an omni-directional tail. (Yes, you heard that right: it comes with a tail.)

Diablo13
22-05-2012, 09:35 PM
So it looks like a rat crawling over you then! :bbr:

"To keep its balance and adjust its climbing trajectory, the robot comes equipped with an omni-directional tail. (Yes, you heard that right: it comes with a tail.) "
I think a lot of people, especially women, would be a bit shocked see a tail suddenly appear out of your pocket? :p
You can get arrested for less than that! :o

Yes I agree with you lost it is creepy.........and a bit pointless?
I would be happy with one that just jiggled about a bit in my trousers pocket! :hyst:

LtShinySides
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM
That would just creep me out every time haha

scott1234
04-12-2012, 10:15 PM
That just looks weird to me lol