PDA

View Full Version : Android 5.0 'Jelly Bean' autumn launch will be on Google devices first

thelostone
17-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Android 5.0 'Jelly Bean' will first appear on several new mobile devices sold by Google itself as part of the Nexus line when the new mobile operating system launches this autumn.
According to a story in the Wall Street Journal, Google is shifting its Android strategy so that it will not only give select mobile-device makers early access to new releases, but will also sell the resulting devices unlocked directly to consumers.
As many as five manufacturers may get privileged access to new releases of the mobile operating system, in fact, with an eye toward creating a ?portfolio? of Nexus lead devices including both smartphones and tablets, the WSJ reported, citing ?a person familiar with the matter.?
Google aims to sell those gadgets online and contract-free directly to consumers in the US, Europe, and Asia, but retailers may be involved as well, the report suggests. November Thanksgiving in the US is reportedly the target date for the launch.
So long, fragmentationWhile Android has clearly done enormously well, inconsistency and fragmentation are among the chief complaints about the Linux-based mobile operating system. This new strategy could ensure that more Android phones are running the latest version of the OS; it could also help other manufacturers create their own custom builds more quickly.
Such a strategy would also restore a significant degree of control back to Google, which has long been at the mercy of wireless carriers for pushing updates to consumers, as well as for decisions as to which apps can be included on the devices they carry. Verizon Wireless, for example, doesn't allow the Google Wallet app on Samsung's Galaxy Nexus device.
In addition, the new tactic could minimise device-makers' concerns over Google's pending Motorola Mobility acquisition, since it won't be just Motorola getting early access to new releases

Abrar Ahmed
11-06-2012, 01:03 AM
I love my One X but waiting for any OEM's to customise their skins for updates is a real ball-ache. Shame the Nexus had a crap screen, otherwise I would've grabbed one.

Anyway, onwards and upwards with Jelly Bean... I'm hoping Google carries on trying to make things look better on the GUI side.

They only need to look here for some inspiration... http://mycolorscreen.com/popular/

I understand that it's all about customising stuff as you like but it'd be nice for non-power users to have access to these themes and interfaces right off the bat.

aerozeppel
12-06-2012, 03:29 PM
I'm still waiting for my HTC Desire HD to get updated to Android 4.0........

Pejazzle
12-06-2012, 05:35 PM
I'm still waiting for my HTC Desire HD to get updated to Android 4.0........

Same here.