PDA

View Full Version : Cooker hood with remote fan

snifferdog
10-08-2006, 06:46 PM
I've got a fairly big kitchen, with a very small window, that coupled with the fact that I use a wok for cooking on almost a daily basis means my cooker hood is on high almost constantly. IT SOUNDS AWFUL. So I'm thinking of removing the fan from my hood and just leaving the shell. . . .then placing an inline fan in the flue which runs vertically up through my bathroom and into the attic. . . .so. . will it work? have you done it before? what size fan should I use? any help :please:

TEEPEE
15-08-2006, 05:32 PM
does your hood vent thru the window? if your cooker is on an outside wall just rent a core bit and drill (hss £25 for the day) and take your hood off and drill the hole directly behind it. then install a wall fan in the hole and it should vent better. a wall vent would be aabout £45 from b&q or cheaper from somewhere likeedmonson electrical.

snifferdog
16-08-2006, 12:40 AM
The hob is positioned on an island in the centre of the room, the only feasible place for the vent from the hood is directly above - verticle up to the attic. So sadly, though I appreciate your reply, that won't work in this case, and there is also still the issue of the contant noise from the hood motor.

dx100-uk
16-08-2006, 01:37 AM
alot of noise from these motors is caused by the metalwood of the hood being unsupported as such.
i normally cut a few bits of thin wood and brace across inside the riser from side to side, this cuts the noise down.
also how old is the hood?
these motors need regular service and a good dose of light oil on the bearings and a clean works wonders, crap on the fan slats unbalances them and creates more noise.
venting to the attic is not a good idea. but if it is the best you have then so be it, could you not vent to the attic and then use dryer pipe or WHY to a wall vent/window?

dx100
:41:

snifferdog
16-08-2006, 11:25 AM
I can see that my original post missed a few pertinent points, my apologies. I am in the process of renovating the whole house (hence my abundance of diy posts!!). Initially the cooker hood recycled the air in the kitchen so was effectively just a grease filter, and was on the internal wall opposite the window. The kitchen has a single external wall, a very large, detailed period coving all the way around, and a single window, next to a door which leads to the garage. So, physically and aesthetically, positioning the vent within this room is not feasible, no matter how nicely I boxed it in. Which brings me to where I am now
Step 1. I repositioned the placement of the hob to the centre of the room directly below a wall in the bathroom above.
Step 2. I have now built a false extention to that wall in the bathroom which houses the 150mm vent pipe for the hood, going straight from the kitchen, through the bathroom, up to the attic.
Step 3. bought new hood from ebay (bargain) - just for the 'shell' - lights, filters and pretty cover.
Step 4. Do I - remove the internal fan from the hood, and fit an 'inline fan' in the attic
Step99. Have some sort of roof cowl fitted (won't be diy!) as I don't intend to vent my smelly greasy stale kithen air into my attic!!.