PDA

View Full Version : Which secret nailer??

snifferdog
10-08-2006, 06:27 PM
I need to hire a secret nailer to lay some hardwood flooring, I was thinking I should hire an 'air' powered version because I've got a good 90/100 metres to lay but I've heard that they tend to split the tongue more the the straight 'hammer' version. Anyone had any experience of either type?

den456
09-09-2006, 05:38 PM
sounds like your using hardwood tounge and groove if u are i would recommend that you countersink and screw through the tounges at an angle.
that way u wont get any movement in boards and that will stop them working loose over time... hope this helps.

paulsolo1
10-02-2007, 02:36 AM
I need to hire a secret nailer to lay some hardwood flooring, I was thinking I should hire an 'air' powered version because I've got a good 90/100 metres to lay but I've heard that they tend to split the tongue more the the straight 'hammer' version. Anyone had any experience of either type?
my Paslode would do a great job on a low setting !!

snakehips
13-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Not sure if this is of any help at all...but ive just layed 25m2 of solid tongue and grooved European rustic oak flooring (6mm Oak, 15mm Silver beech Ply)
I used a Porta nailer with 38mm stainless steel pins... its a great bit of kit as everytime u bang a pin in it pushes the board up tight to the board thats already been laid...
the only problem i had with it was the mechanism jamming... as this causes double pinning which do not tend to go fully home...so u end up working them back and forth till they break off....
However this can be remedied by wd40 on the cam drive.

Brandon Tool Hire rents these for about ?27.00 per day...to buy one is ?199 See screwfix.com
Happy Flooring!

mcgrathm6
02-08-2007, 02:55 PM
I bought a pneumatic floor nailer on ebay for 186 Euro delivered from Canada.It uses 2 inch x half inch crown staples. It worked perfect for me on solid oak t&g flooring and the staples are very cheap ?20 for 10,000. The staple is has a glue coating which sets when it is inserted. They are less severe than portanails.So far i have laid over 60 m3 of flooring and excellent results.

albback
14-11-2007, 11:15 AM
portanailer is the tool used buy flooring company`s for years,and before that it was just nails,nail on a 45 degree angle,a pasload gun as long as u can the right angle is the probley the quickest but the most costerly to hire tool and the gas and nails,portanailer does the job perfect bur the weight of the mallet you will soon have muscles like popeye,also r u laying straight onto joists or over laying another floor and don`t forget to leave wood in the area that u are laying for 48hrs to climatise, feel free to ask more questions

cactikid
09-05-2010, 10:15 PM
JML Power Tack from JML Direct (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. thinking of getting this for my kitchen floor what do you think.

Reddevil
09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
JML Power Tack from JML Direct (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. thinking of getting this for my kitchen floor what do you think.

I somehow think he will have no need for this tool as its 3 yrs ago :p

berley
09-05-2010, 10:22 PM
his kitchen floor aint even been done yet, he's asking what peeps think of the nailer :roflmao:

cactikid
10-05-2010, 12:10 AM
correct i like to respond to vintage problems as i look at dates of posts also lol,one of my to do jobs is to get kitchen done.

Reddevil
11-05-2010, 05:13 PM
correct i like to respond to vintage problems as i look at dates of posts also lol,one of my to do jobs is to get kitchen done.

You should have a word with Gazer he is good at kitchens :p

cactikid
14-05-2010, 02:16 AM
well i made a start as i bought a miele oven reduced from e789 down to e489 and paid for it on saturday,salesman in shop said it was a give away price lol,went to shop on wednesday only to be told wrong price was on oven they buy them for e489 and to be sold for e689 ha ha there loss as miele sent out wrong price to all shops lol.now to find a kitchen for e800 lol.