PDA

View Full Version : Been looking at Insurance

Pejazzle
07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
What a fu**ing joke. ?9000 if I put in all my real details, ?6000 if I pretend to live in a posh part of town, ?5,500 if I put my name on someone else's insurance with 5 years no claims bonus.

I'm seriously regretting learning to drive. Will take me a year to get that sort of money after I eventually get a job after being screwed in the last one. Then add road tax and actually buying a car and not to forget these ever increasing fuel prices and if there will even be fuel by the time I can afford all this. Even then I probably won't be able to drive to work as it's a nightmare to find parking in London. I'll most likely have to have some lessons by the time I start driving again.

Rip off Britain at it's best!

alanjg007
07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
have you ever thought about moving north?

Diablo13
07-04-2012, 11:54 PM
That sounds a bit excessive even given your young age and lack of experience!
Were you quoting for a Jag?

I'll be honest with you, if I lived in London I don't think I would bother with a car, given the congestion charge and parking problems. :bike:
You would be better off with a moped, which your car test gives you a full license for!
I do agree about it being a complete rippoff though. :(

Pejazzle
08-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Definitely not a Jag lol

Looked at a few cars, mainly old Fiat Puntos 1.0 and Vauxhall Corsas. Checked out pretty much every insurance company aswell :(

Might look into mopeds never thought of that, thanks.

Diablo13
08-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Try these for a quote, they were almost impossible to beat on quotes for me, until this year when I got a RIAS over 50's quote!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. you can often lower the price quoted by a lot, by increasing your voluntary excess in the event of a claim!
Good Luck!
(http://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/car/)

Reddevil
08-04-2012, 07:02 AM
I was under the impression you dont get a full license for a moped now, they changed all that a while ago.

digdug
08-04-2012, 09:19 AM
For a category P machine (up to 50cc legally defined as a moped) if you passed your car test before Feb 2001, the DVLA will also have given you a full P entitlement. This means it's just like having passed a test on a moped, you can dispense with L plates, CBTs (Compulsory basic training) and may carry passengers (but still not use motorways where there is a 50cc lower limit).

If you passed your car test after Feb 2001 you will receive a full P category which only becomes valid after obtaining a CBT certificate. This will then last for your driving career.

Reddevil
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
If you passed your car test after Feb 2001 you will receive a full P category which only becomes valid after obtaining a CBT certificate. This will then last for your driving career.

always a catch :)

pande_monium
08-04-2012, 02:58 PM
You sure you're using one of the many comparison websites?

In the complete list of quotes, you'll get a wide range - hundreds to thousands for your premium.

Heck, even I get about ?6000! But then, that's at the top end of the quotes. The lowest quotes are usually MUCH lower. I go somewhere around the cheapest, and then tweak the policy UP to include legal, top hire car, etc... to what I want - ends up costing about ?600-?800, but on a nasty unlucky rainy day, it'll be worth it.

fergalsworld
08-04-2012, 03:27 PM
Try these for a quote, they were almost impossible to beat on quotes for me, until this year when I got a RIAS over 50's quote!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. you can often lower the price quoted by a lot, by increasing your voluntary excess in the event of a claim!
Good Luck!
(To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Those two come back with an absurd price for me the first one wanted ?528 the second one ?725
I used go compare and got mine for ?365

BraveHeart
08-04-2012, 03:42 PM
im with tesco bank car insurance, not thier top of range cover, not thier bottom of range but the middle rate one and like pande above I tweak my excess and things to suit etc, I have no excess at all in the event of a crash, ?75 compulsary on glass breakage, ?10 for windscreen repair, fully protected no claims bonus as it always has been and something mad like ?100,000 worth of legal costs, and thats on an 1.8Sri, ohh plus thats the wife on as a second driver too and its only something like ?34 per month or if you want to save even more money pay it as a lump sum and it comes in at well under ?400, but if your getting a quote from them, remember what I said, FORGET this lower end cover and FORGET thier highest end cover, get the middle one and tweak it to what you want.

let us know how you get on mate.

p.s
also includes a courtesy car etc too in the event of accident.

Diablo13
08-04-2012, 07:43 PM
My current Rias cover is only ?260 and Quoteline was ?269 fully comp per annum, with full no claims and courtesy car and legal insurance thrown in.
That's on a Peugeot 308 1.6S.
Braveheart's Tesco cover sounds very good for the power of the car though.
Obviously where you live makes almost as much difference to your quote as your age?

I didn't know they had changed the rules regarding moped licences, obviously another money making scheme. They don't miss a trick do they.
It might still be worth taking just a CBT test though as I think that's relatively inexpensive, especially given the advantages of cheap transport around London?

Pejazzle
09-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Tesco are giving me ?5900 for a Vauxhall Corsa. The site you suggested Diablo wont give me a qoute :(

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Tesco are giving me ?5900 for a Vauxhall Corsa. The site you suggested Diablo wont give me a qoute :(

you sure you aint got a drink driving ban on there since maybe 3 years ago and 10 points, lol ?

I could buy a brand new corsa for round about ?6000 lol, no jokin !

Pejazzle
09-04-2012, 12:38 AM
I only passed my test in January maybe that's it?

Magnu420
09-04-2012, 12:40 AM
i reckon its down to postcodes,when i did a search last year for a fiat punto
i got quoted summat like ?565,but when i did another one but with a postcode
differant to mine and only 20 yards away it was ?50 cheeper,so i did one
at my dads address,garaged in a secure compound it was about ?250 cheeper

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 12:41 AM
I only passed my test in January maybe that's it?

I know people very young who have just passed thier test and driving little cars like that and they are only paying half the price your quoting, are those prices your quoting for fully comp or 3rd party fire n theft ?

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 01:04 AM
There is another little trick you can do that defo helps BIG time like the guys have previously suggested saying it could be down to your postcode.

What I used to do years ago was use my relatives address in the scottish highlands and the insurance was like 1/4 of the price of what I was quoted for where I actually lived at the time, it is telling lies, but so long as the person, I.E - your friend/relative etc is cool with using thier address just for the car insurance then its not a problem as you can basically have your car insured at any address, just for gods sake make sure if your ever in a crash or something remember that its the other address you give and not your real address, lol.

p.s
plus you need to tell the insurance company that the cheap address is where the car is kept nearly all the time, so lets say you live in london and you know a friend in inverness, then you need to say to the insurance that the address is inverness one and thats where the car is kept overnight etc, and then in the event of a crash in london or anywhere for that matter etc you need to make sure you remember to say that the insurance address is the inverness one and thats where the car is kept mostly all the time and youve just been down in london or whereever visiting friends, in a way I guess its illegal, but in another way technically if you keep your facts correct then its legal, so long as the car is insured basically its legal, simple as that.

pande_monium
09-04-2012, 01:55 AM
Whilst you may get your insurance lowered by giving a false residential address, it would invalidate your insurance & many other things if & when, and mark my words - you will, get caught.

Since you've just cleared your driving license, if I were you, I'd do the following:

Try ALL price comparison websites & other companies not on the price comparison websites like Direct Line, etc. I usually get prices from at least 5 price comparison websites & 10-15 companies not on these websites before I settle on the one I want - EVERY FLIPPING YEAR!

Increase the excess to as high a value as possible... think you can go as far as 500 or 700 in some cases.

Get your mum/dad to be the 1st driver on your car. You then become the 2nd driver on your car. This will lower your premium SUBSTANTIALLY. Plus, on the nasty rainy day when you do get involved in an accident, you're perfectly covered because you are, after all, legally covered to drive the car! Alternatively, if you're thick with your girlfriend/wife, then get her as the first driver. But, priority is - Mum, Dad... GF/wife !

Take 3rd party only (forget fire & theft if the car is < a grand)... don't even dream of Comprehensive... its of no use, if your car is worth less than 1/4 its actual value in any case. They'll just give you the current market value according to Glass's valuation.

Park in the garage (if you don't have one, park in the driveway - on street parking should be your last choice). This is a small white lie that you can get away with most of the times - "I was going to go to the market to get milk later on, so didn't put the car in the garage!" valid only, of course, if you have a garage!

Do NOT mod the car in ANY way whatsoever... not even alloys... no decals... nothing!

Get the slowest set of wheels available on the planet... something under 1.0 liter is best. A Suzuki Alto or Nissan Micra or Daewoo Matiz?

Forget all frills - no curtesy car, no onward journey, no blah-blah, nothing.... GET LEGAL PROTECTION... There's too many f**king nuts on the road without insurance. You want legal protection. Its like washing your hands away from all legal issues/problems in case you get involved in an accident... particularly if its your fault.

TAKE A ROUGH INSURANCE QUOTE BEFORE YOU BUY THE CAR... A very common mistake people make... my cousin bought a Hyundai Coupe 2.0 before he got a quote... which incidentally turned out to be 3000... only ?1800 more than the car roflmao !!

PS: Since you'll probably be going for a beaten up old bag of wheels for your first car... I strongly suggest getting a good breakdown cover. The difference between no help and a phone-call is HUGE. I speak from personal experience.

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 02:17 AM
Whilst you may get your insurance lowered by giving a false residential address, it would invalidate your insurance & many other things if & when, and mark my words - you will, get caught.

I am sorry mate , I strongly disagree with you here as I done it for many many many years and had crashes, police involvment and everything, and as long as you stick to the words I quoted everything works fine, put it this way, show me the part in british road traffic law that says your car has to be insured at a specific address, its only the insurance company that ask that, and as I say, if you follow my words its never a problem, but there again, if your stupid and dont think what your saying then you will get in trouble from the insurance company, BUT not the police as as far as the police are concerned the car has insurance, doesnt matter if you live in lands end or john-o-groats, and happen to have an accident in london, the police just need to see proof the car is insured, then the rest is down to the persons own frame of mind if they can simply remember when they are giving the insurance details to either produce the insurance certificate (which would be handy) or to remember the address, its easy peasy man.

Pejazzle
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Ok after looking at the well known comparison sites here are a list of the cheapest prices I got for a 1997 Nissan Micra 1.0:

Compare the Market: ?8,495.85

USwitch: ?8023.86

Go Compare: ?7,625.80

Confused.com: ?8310.94

MoneySupermarket: ?5,794.14

BeatThatQoute: ?5,720.51

I used this guide: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Aswell as the tips pande_monium gave

I think I'll give up and try again in a year. My parents don't drive so I can't even do "fronting" or put them as second driver.

Thanks for all your help.

I attached images of the quotes so you see for yourself how ludicrous they are.

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
mate, are you making sure to select the option for 3rd party fire and theft and NOT fully comp ? Its just that I noticed in some of those screenshots that they were fully comp quotes, you need to be looking at 3rd party fire and theft mate (thats if they still do that for new drivers, I dont know).

Pejazzle
09-04-2012, 07:05 PM
I checked for third part and it ends up more expensive because the cheapest ones that do comprehensive don't do third party for me, so i end up with the other insurers which are more expensive. I'll do a screenshot of third party if you want.

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 07:35 PM
I checked for third part and it ends up more expensive because the cheapest ones that do comprehensive don't do third party for me, so i end up with the other insurers which are more expensive. I'll do a screenshot of third party if you want.

nah its cool mate, I am just shocked at the prices you are telling us, if I was you I would be talking to citazens advice and telling them, I mean, lets face it, your car is worth peanuts, so how can they justify 8 grand etc, its un-****ing-believable, something not right man.

dont you know anyone that lives somewhere like I said I used to do, someone that lives in the middle of the countryside etc, anyone, a friend or summit, doesnt matter even if they are at other end of UK ???

Magnu420
09-04-2012, 08:22 PM
me bro in law passed his test october last year,and i spent many hours with
him to find some insurance for a pug 206 sw on a 04 plate,and i was gobsmacked
with the cheepest quote from tescos 1700 pound,i was expectin it being about 2500
i got quoted on same car it was 500 pound

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
i still gaurantee the way i said earlier is by far the cheapest way by miles if you think its slightly dodgy or not, I am the proof its not.

I will give an example, when I was younger I was into all the hot hatches and at the time they cost an absolute fortune to insure, then I used my relatives address in the Highlands and the price was like less than 1/4 of the quotes I had previously and all my relatives had to do was remember that if any letters came through the post was to mail them to me, simple as that.

edit : example, normal quote was say ?500 and in the highlands it was ?200, you see what I mean ?

Pejazzle
09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
All my family and friends are in London unfortunately :( Although some are in safer places so I'll try their postcodes.

But the thing is if something happens to the car in London like if it got stolen outside my house and my insurance is registered somewhere else and I've said I park it there wont I be screwed?

Pejazzle
09-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Ok I've definetely nailed the problem... It's my postcode.

I checked this site: To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. That shows postcode ratings for areas in the UK and is ranked between A-F with A being the best and F the worst. My postcode comes in at a wonderful....... F

So I tried MoneySupermarket again and used an Inverness postcode which is ranked A

The insurance came in at.............?1,989.65

Unbelievable!

The best advantage of living in Scotland is car insurance. Well, after the sunny weather that is lol

BraveHeart
09-04-2012, 11:17 PM
All my family and friends are in London unfortunately :( Although some are in safer places so I'll try their postcodes.

But the thing is if something happens to the car in London like if it got stolen outside my house and my insurance is registered somewhere else and I've said I park it there wont I be screwed?

no mate, you only need to say you were visiting that night, your allowed to go visiting other houses and other people in other places you know without informing your insurance company you are going to see such and such a person, as long as you have it perfectly clear with the person that lives at the address you are going to use that you have been living there since the policy began then thats you sorted, and always remember if and when a copper asks for the details that you say your car is insured and just show the insurance details, its NOT ONE PART OF THE COPS BUISNESS WHERE YOUR CAR IS INSURED AS LONG AS IT IS INSURED, its after that you set to work on making your story correct to your insurance company, again, your insurance company have no rights what so ever to doubt you saying you live in aberdeen most of the time and visit occosinally to london at another property, thats none of thier buisness, what is thier buisness is if you have a crash then first and foremost the police would figure out whos to blame, you sign the statement, give insurance details, job done, they dont start saying so do you live in 10 houses in the UK, lol. Trust me mate, it works and it is not as tricky as it might sound, the main thing is you are not conning anyone cause your car if fully insured, doesnt matter about the address, the only thing you need to declare is that the address of the insurance is where the car is kept nearly every night unless you happened to be visiting someone else, its just a standard question they ask everyone mate.

edit : in other words, your insured in inverness, any questions asked, yes sir ive just been down visiting for the night, no more questions asked, simples.

Pejazzle
10-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Cheers mate. Now the hard part is asking family and friends if they no anyone who lives in a safe area and willing to let me use their address.

BraveHeart
10-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Cheers mate. Now the hard part is asking family and friends if they no anyone who lives in a safe area and willing to let me use their address.

Your not really using anybody to that big an extent, you could maybe send them a christmas card or summit, lol, ohh I forgot, I used to have to send my relation self addressed stampped envelopes for them to send me any letters that ever came, but it was never a big deal. enjoy your cheaper prices mate :)

Diablo13
11-04-2012, 02:47 AM
I have done some dodgy things in my time, but I wouldn't do what Braveheart is suggesting!
Not nowadays anyway, everything is computerized including your home address for National Insurance purposes, and some insurance companies don't need much of an excuse to invalidate a claim anyway!
NO One lives in London and insures and keeps a car in Scotland.
Its just too far to walk in the rain to get it! lol
I would not advise someone else to do it either, its your life not his!

Yes as far as the law is concerned you will be insured, for spot check puposes or if you get pulled over for speeding, but if you have an accident your insurance can and probably will invalidate your claim. They are not stupid, even if they do have stupid prices!
Do you really think if they can demand thousands for insurance they will not expect people, especially of a young age, to try to slide under their prices?
Odds are, especially in London, you will have an accident of some sort at some time, even if it is just a fender bender, your not really a driver until something like that happens, and it may not even be your fault.
The trouble is (God forbid) if you have a serious accident and someone is badly injured, then your insurance refuses your claim, as they would be entitled to do, you could get a huge bill, civil action for damages against you, or because the insurance refused to pay out then the police decided to prosecute, you would go to jail!
Having invalid insurance is as bad as having no insurance at all, to say nothing of compensation to any poor victim of a possible accident, or yourself?
I have been the driver in a fatal accident involving my passenger, many years ago now when I was a bit younger than you are, but its not fun and you would never forget it, believe me!

I know the prices quoted are ridiculous, and the postcode lottery is unfair, but some risks are just not worth taking! Especially when you could, in a worse case scenario ruin your life, or someone else's, maybe your passenger, just for the convenience of being on the road!
The one good thing about London, transport wise, is its public transport system, so really the only sensible options you have until you are 25 and your policy loading drops, are public transport, pushbike or moped!
Why do you think even well off people in the capital use mountain bikes etc, or the Tube to go to work every day?
Its not because they are stupid or all can't drive is it!

Braveheart just because you get away with it in Scotland where its quieter, you really shouldn't encourage a young lad with no driving experience to take such risks, especially as he lives in one of the busiest cities in the world. All for no good reason really, other than he wants to drive as we all did when we first passed our tests.
Don't do it Pejazzle m8, REALLY!

BraveHeart
11-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Diablo, I cant agree with you for once mate,

I will use a simplify on this matter, lets say you have 4 houses, 1 in aberdeen, 1 in glasgow, 1 in london and 1 in belfast, ok ?

Right, the insurance company needs to legally know where the car is mostly kept parked etc, so that would be your cheapest postcode obviously, then after that you have the same rights as anyone else to go and drive that car anytime, anywhere fully insured in britain, no ifs buts or maybes, its fact, thats the law.

You can go and stay with your pal in leeds for 2 months if you like, you dont need to tell the insurance company or the police, you can go and stay in your second owned property in lands end, again you dont need to notify anyone, just the same as I can do now, I can travel anywhere, infact anywhere in europe and I dont need to inform the insurance company, but europe is a different matter.

I cant see why your getting yourself flustered about this as its legal and nothing underhand is going on even though to read it it may look like that, but its not, unless of course the person doing this is a total bellend and has a crash and says to the insurance company, i'm sorry, i dont actually live in invernees, i live in london and i have been lying to you, lol, even the police dont ask those questions, so its up to the indevidual, thier choice, no chance i would be paying 8 grand as compared to what less than 2 grand, no way jose, i done it for years n years n years and had crashes, police involved and everything as i said and as long as you know what your saying which is actually nothing at the time if you dont want to (you have summit like 28 days or so) then thats that, wheres the harm in that, your not screwing anyone at all apart from these rediculous insurance companies that need thier gonads ripped off, lol.

I hate them man, and thats the only reason why i even bothered passing on this info, but end of the day its the guys choice, I know what choice I would make though, I would get it right up the insurance companies, rip off merchants.

Ok lets say he runs into a 200K rolls royce, so what, both insurance companies still pay out and it works, theres nothing wrong, its legal, what is to me illegal is the rediculous post code lottery with car insurance and if people can find a way round it then good on them, thats all I can say, I dont really care less what anyone else thinks or says, and I say that with respect to my fellow members here.

p.s
i wont say i dislike your post either as i understand what your saying, but its just a point of view and your entitled to like or dislike it, thats up to you, makes no difference to the way I feel, its just a subject afterall.

Diablo13
11-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Maybe I'm just getting old, but while I know what your saying and I think motor insurance nowadays is a massive rippoff, I wouldn't take that chance anymore. One of the advantages of getting old is that insurance gets much cheaper, so I don't need to take that kind of risk anymore.
I do worry that a young lad with no motoring experience could easily drop himself in the sh1t unintentionally though, you know how companies sometimes find excuses to not pay out claims as it is Braveheart!

BraveHeart
11-04-2012, 04:25 AM
drop himself in the sh1t unintentionally though, you know how companies sometimes find excuses to not pay out claims as it is Braveheart!

I understand your feelings all too well, but at end of day its legal, as long as he didnt go loopy and start spouting out rubbish about what hes doing and all that and also didnt have things cleared with the people in the address he would be using, but I dont think that is likely, lol, if so then he should go ahead and pay 8 grand, lol.

tinkertiler
11-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Insurance companies are not stupid and they ask you what your job is and if they check after you make a claim and your car is insured in Scotland and your job is in London then you are in big trouble. Its as simple as that. Someone i knew had a car and he insured it, said it was kept in a garage. Anyway the day came when he had a crash and the insurance person came round looked around the house without even knocking on the door and then knocked on the door. The first question was , Where is your garage? He said he didnt have one, then bang they didnt pay up! They dont need much of a excuse to not pay out and its just not worth the risk as your breaking the law and ultimately your not insured!

Pejazzle
11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
The thing is if I get 1 years no claim bonus the insurance will be half what it is now where I live. So I was thinking of putting it in an address of someone i know and it'll cost me ?3,500 but I don't think it's worth it man. I won't be driving to work anyway and I'll use it maybe every 2 weeks on the weekend so I don't think it's worth ?6000 insurance. I think I'll just stick to public transport instead of the possibility of getting caught no matter how low the risk is. With my luck I'd get caught lol

My only problem is now that I won't have any experience driving for a long time so I'm going to be dodgy as f**k when I start to drive. The insurance will still be high if I start in my 20's anyway? for the first year at least anyway?

I've written an email to one of the candidates running for mayor of London next month about my issue I hope to get a response.

BraveHeart
11-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Insurance companies are not stupid and they ask you what your job is and if they check after you make a claim and your car is insured in Scotland and your job is in London then you are in big trouble. Its as simple as that. Someone i knew had a car and he insured it, said it was kept in a garage. Anyway the day came when he had a crash and the insurance person came round looked around the house without even knocking on the door and then knocked on the door. The first question was , Where is your garage? He said he didnt have one, then bang they didnt pay up! They dont need much of a excuse to not pay out and its just not worth the risk as your breaking the law and ultimately your not insured!

You know why they even ask if you have a job ?

Its to make sure you can make the payments per month, its meant to be through finance, I doubt that very much, have you ever looked at your credit reports from companies like experian etc, they never mention credit for car insurance, thats why I am pretty sure its not even payed through a finance company and if it is then its thier own internal one, I.E - made up to look like the real deal, lol.

You can say you dont work even if you do, its none of the insurance companies buisness especially if you paid it in full, or you can say nope you dont work and they just charge you slightly more per month for the pleasure, lol, ripped off again, some may not accept you if you dont say you work as they dont want the hassle of chasing you if you miss payments etc, I know cause ive done it before and ive also asked them all the in's and out's about why they ask this question and that question, its been quite some time though, so I'm just going with what I can remember.

You can also say you dont work and avoid paying the charge for using the car "to and from a place of work" and then if you do have a crash on your way to work sitting with your kwik fit overalls on you just say to the police that your on your way to your friends or to the shops or anywhere you like, remember the police are only interested in if you have insurance or not, they are not there to stick you on the mastermind chair after youve had your crash, infact you can say that your not even up to talking at the moment and then you have something like 24/48 hours to produce your documents, thats also fully legal.

Another thing you can legally do to bring the price down is tell them you do like half of the mileage per year than you actually do, I was told with them its not a legal requierment to get that fact correct as sometimes we might only do say 2k a year and then the next year 10k, but again its legal to do that as its just something that slips ones mind, isnt it ? lol

About your friend, I'm sorry to hear he got caught, he must have been hell of a stupid to say he had a garage though when there was no garage at the property, thats a defo no-no and you are correct on that one, as for the other points you can think what you like mate and so can anyone else, I tell ya what though, if I was being asked to pay silly amounts of money like pejazzle there I simply would take the road I have suggested and save a LOT of money, then hopefully with a year or two his insurance comes down with no claims (hopefully no claims, lol), and thats when he can start to say right ok I will start telling all the perfect correct details now, but he doesnt have to if he didnt want to.

As I said, I done it that way for mega years when I was young, I had crashes, police involvment and insurance inspectors out at the house and everything and all they wanted to see was the damage to the car, thats when I had 3rd party fire and theft, but once I started to get more and more experience and no claims bonus etc I switched to fully comp and then the car is towed into a garage if in a bump or crash as you will know and you really dont even see the insurance company at all, if they want to see the car they go directly to the coachworks and you dont even know.

I do understand why a couple of you think it sounds a bit dodgy, but the only thing dodgy about it is if you "the insured person/car" makes a rather big mistake and blurts out everything in a panick cause they think they are going to get shot with the firing squad, lol.

tinkertiler
11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
If you think that the only reason they ask you what job you do i so they can make sure they get paid YOU ARE WRONG!! BIG TIME!! To prove it go on a comparison web site and put in that you are a painter and decorator and that you just want the car for SDL and see what quote you get, then change it to a Policeman and see what the difference is in the price!! Its even worse if you put the fact that you are unempleoyed!!!

I know all of this what i have put is true because i was looking for a quote last year and started messing about with it. I put my job a ceramic tiler in and it was nearly ?700 i then changed it to a factory worker ?520 then to a Policeman ?460 and the best one solicitor it went down to ?390!! FFS they get the best perks lol Oh and unemployed was nearly ?1300 so to say the job doesnt make a differnece is a load of BS im afraid.

Your job has a major bearing on the cost you pay so be very careful with what you put.

The milage thing is another story yes you can get away with putting low milage on it but if you have a accident and they look at the mileometer and then check with the MOT database and it is well over it then you are in trouble. Basicly you lie under any way shape or form on your nsurance quote and then you sign it and any fact is wrong you may well have had it ! Bang goes the car, 6 points on your licience for no insurance and a hefty bill that you have to pay! Does it still sound worth it telling a few porky pies??

And yes you have got away with it for so many years braveheart but when was the last time you made a claim?? I hope it isnt soon as you WILL find out the hard way that its just not worth it anymore.

BraveHeart
11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
If you think that the only reason they ask you what job you do i so they can make sure they get paid YOU ARE WRONG!! BIG TIME!! To prove it go on a comparison web site and put in that you are a painter and decorator and that you just want the car for SDL and see what quote you get, then change it to a Policeman and see what the difference is in the price!! Its even worse if you put the fact that you are unempleoyed!!!

I know all of this what i have put is true because i was looking for a quote last year and started messing about with it. I put my job a ceramic tiler in and it was nearly ?700 i then changed it to a factory worker ?520 then to a Policeman ?460 and the best one solicitor it went down to ?390!! FFS they get the best perks lol Oh and unemployed was nearly ?1300 so to say the job doesnt make a differnece is a load of BS im afraid.

Your job has a major bearing on the cost you pay so be very careful with what you put.

The milage thing is another story yes you can get away with putting low milage on it but if you have a accident and they look at the mileometer and then check with the MOT database and it is well over it then you are in trouble. Basicly you lie under any way shape or form on your nsurance quote and then you sign it and any fact is wrong you may well have had it ! Bang goes the car, 6 points on your licience for no insurance and a hefty bill that you have to pay! Does it still sound worth it telling a few porky pies??

And yes you have got away with it for so many years braveheart but when was the last time you made a claim?? I hope it isnt soon as you WILL find out the hard way that its just not worth it anymore.

Dont need to even try and tell any porkies now mate as I have about 20 years no claims bonus and every part of my policy is correct details too (most insurance companies nowdays only show a maximum of about 5-7 years NCB which I find rediculous though), no need to do it now, I was talking about back in the old days when I was young like that guy and trying to find a way round the heavy prices for insurance on hot hatchbacks at the time, things like golf gti's, cosworths etc etc, and I sure as heck found out and thank feck I did as I wouldnt have been able to have those cars and as I keep saying, it worked as sweet as a nut as long as you didnt get stupid and make stupid mistakes and were always one step ahead of the game.

Of course it does make a difference if you say you have a specific job too (if you wanted to), I was able to start saying I was a professional driver and my premium went way way down, but most people are not pro drivers or policemen etc, not many people are or I would have mentioned that, wasnt worth mentioning though not unless the young chap happens to maybe be a police officer which I doubt but I dont know.

I did say if you said you were unemployed that they may not even take you on the insurance, so that covers that part, but as for saying you got quoted 390quid for saying you were a lawyer (which would mean you were older anyway as it takes many years to even get near being a lawyer) and then compared it to being unemployed and it went to 1300quid, I think thats bullcrap mate to be honest, I would need to see the proof, I know because I asked these questions to the companies, not online search engines etc, actually speaking to them on the phone I had them do it and I asked them what the difference was with working or not, and thier answers were simply we wont cover you becuase its too difficult to chase you if you cant make the payments, or yes we can cover you but it will cost a bit more, I did state that earlier too, but the difference wasnt as you say 390-1300quid, it was only like 10% more, and thier reason was that it was because of the extra risk they took to make sure they got the payments, your figures seem to not look right, not saying that you are wrong, I am just saying they dont sound right at all.

Pick up the phone tomorrow and try what I said, tell them first you want to know what the difference is with answering each question and you will see what I mean, I can only go by what I was told, do you think I am sitting here saying this for the good of my health ? i couldnt give a toss mate who/what/where/when gets insurance or not, I can only go by facts and experience, if anyone is in any doubt they can lawfully call up an insurance company and ask what each question means if answered this way or that way, theres nothing to stop you or anyone.

tinkertiler
11-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Try it and see what happens if you dont believe me. Try for a quote with no no claims bonus and try the different jobs and see what happens and it will say exactly the same thing as i have just said!

You are giving out advise to someone who is a young drive to "Lie" on their insurance even a small white lie where they live could end up costing him big time !! You are being so irresponsible for someone who has had this experience from many years ago when things have changed so much in the car world. You can drive down the streen and before the coppers pull you over they know if the car is insured, the driver is banned or not and you think its ok to lie about where you live!!! And then you accuse me of coming up with bs quotes that i got last year for a car that i wanted to insure and then figured i just didnt need it. As diablo will tell you i havent had a car for many years i just nick my mates car whos insurance im on or otherwise he wouldnt get it fixed or service or MOTed every year pmsl

Pejazzle while it may seem like a great idea to save a few quid and cut corners on the insurance its not. You may get away with it but you may not and you will learn a far harder lesson from that. It may be worth looking into getting on one of them new schemes that you get a black box that the insurance companies monitor to bring costs down just dont lie on your quote mate its just not worth it.

BraveHeart
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
:9:
Try it and see what happens if you dont believe me. Try for a quote with no no claims bonus and try the different jobs and see what happens and it will say exactly the same thing as i have just said!

You are giving out advise to someone who is a young drive to "Lie" on their insurance even a small white lie where they live could end up costing him big time !! You are being so irresponsible for someone who has had this experience from many years ago when things have changed so much in the car world. You can drive down the streen and before the coppers pull you over they know if the car is insured, the driver is banned or not and you think its ok to lie about where you live!!! And then you accuse me of coming up with bs quotes that i got last year for a car that i wanted to insure and then figured i just didnt need it. As diablo will tell you i havent had a car for many years i just nick my mates car whos insurance im on or otherwise he wouldnt get it fixed or service or MOTed every year pmsl

Pejazzle while it may seem like a great idea to save a few quid and cut corners on the insurance its not. You may get away with it but you may not and you will learn a far harder lesson from that. It may be worth looking into getting on one of them new schemes that you get a black box that the insurance companies monitor to bring costs down just dont lie on your quote mate its just not worth it.

you said I talked bullshet first so thats why I came back with the same, na na nah na na, lol :9: so there :9: :rolleye: lol

As I said, what you say is your opinion same as anyone in here and what you are trying to do is over rule me which isnt right, I can give what advice I like as long as I deem it as being to my knowledge and my own personal experience, you can spout all the stuff you want about anything you want, same as I can mate, and you even stated there that the guy can if he likes more or less do as he pleases which is what I said all along, I am not being wreckless at all and most of what I said is legal anyway, if anyone wants to prove different then show me.

Your right in saying that over the years insurance companies can and have got very scrupulous (sometimes), depends on the company etc, they would be very very hard pressed though to find fault in what I have been suggesting cause its all legal, I can live in aberdeen and fly to london everyday for work or maybe take the car sometimes and things like that, as I say, as long as you stay one step ahead of the game then its very hard to find fault, thats if there even is any fault, they dont even ask if the address the car is kept at is your own address, they only ask "are you the registered keeper", thats all, so your way off track matey.

Anyway, this is boring as hell now man, I'm done, pejazzle, do what you want mate, not that you would trust any advice from anyone on here anyway, I wouldnt, lol.

alanjg007
11-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Braveheart. I admire yer tenacity, but what you suggested i dinnae have the ba's to even try. So would never suggest it either.

I think pejazzle should just get a moped, pay insurance for it and get a no claims.

A few years no claims and things should get cheaper!

BraveHeart
11-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Braveheart. I admire yer tenacity, but what you suggested i dinnae have the ba's to even try. So would never suggest it either.

I think pejazzle should just get a moped, pay insurance for it and get a no claims.

A few years no claims and things should get cheaper!

true mate, lol, what about a tractor, that might be cheaper to insure, or a horse n cart, lmao, hehehehe :)

Diablo13
12-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Actually from some of the things you said Braveheart I am surprised you even bothered to get insurance at all years ago. After all it would save even more money and the cover would have been just as valid!
I have driven without insurance as well, but 20 or more years ago it was a different world, but I got done for it as well because when sh1t happens it tends to come in big piles, so there's no point in burying yourself even further in it. Believe me I'm not stupid, or wet myself if plod talks to me either!

It's not even about appearing legal to the law really, its about the insurers refusing to pay your claim if you had one and leaving you stood there with your bare ar$e hanging out, while people line up to kick it into court for compensation running into the thousands of pounds, for the damage you may have done to them and their property!
You would instantly appear guilty, even if an accident wasn't really your fault in the first place?????

I agree this thread has pretty much run its course though, everyone makes their own choices in the end, but I think you might change your mind if an inexperienced Pejazzle rammed your nice car, crippled you for life and then didn't have any valid insurance to compensate you?
Now that does happen to people in the real world, sadly! :(

P.S. As alanjg007 said in his post, a moped might be your best alternative, as cheap transport, experience in traffic as well as getting you known to an insurer for no claims experience, it works on so many levels.

No point in writing to Boris, he won't let you borrow the mayoral car, but he might have a spare pushbike and helmet he can sell you cheap? pmsl

BraveHeart
12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
LOL, yea true, but if an accident isnt your fault and thats proven then thats that, they cant prosecute you for something that aint your fault, lol.

Ive also been done in the past like you for having no insurance, but I did have NO insurance, at least if I had had it at another address or whatever I would have been ok, but I didnt sadly.

And the part about someone running into me that doesnt have any insurance doesnt bother me at all as I am fully covered against that anyway luckily enough, we all learn by our mistakes, but one mistake I didnt make was not to do as I have been saying all the way through this thread, we could argue all day and night if this is legal and that is legal etc, but at end of day, I done it and came through the other end no probs, so its horses for courses and just peoples opions, thoughts and experiences, we all learn.

I wouldnt even hesitate to go back and do it again now if I gained a lot out of it, but I wouldnt gain a heck of a lot, so thats why I wont even bother, but if I was slightly short of cash I certainly would, and its both people like myself and the insurance companies to blame for sky high prices anyway, they force people into situations that they are tempted, robbing bassa's they are !, I havent made a claim in mega years and the amount of money I have ploud into the kitty is mad, insurance companies deserve all they get and if you can get it right up them then I would say good luck to ya, just make sure to make sure your a step ahead of the game all the time and always thinking.

Yea the thread is crap now, thats why I said I was done with it too mate, so I will call it quits at that :)

Pejazzle
12-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to stick to public transport for a year or 2.

BraveHeart
19-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Just wanted to add to this thread, I got my renewal invitation today from my company that I previously told ya all about and the price is only like 50p extra, so I was relieved at that, pheTo view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. lol, so I will be sticking with them :)

thelostone
19-04-2012, 07:19 PM
Better late than never but did anybody see watch dog?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2012/04/car_insurance.html

Diablo13
19-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I saw that Watchdog, proof that insurance companies use sharp practices to con people out of higher premiums than they should be paying!
Why don't they realize that by doing this and forcing people to use price comparison sites, they are actually losing a lot of good business by encouraging people to go with other companies and keep switching every year?
I believe a large part of this problem is down to salesmen being pressured themselves to meet sales targets, as well as perhaps greedily chasing larger commissions!
I can say this with confidence, having worked for an insurance company in a previous life, as a sales rep doing mainly life insurance!
I have known for a long time that MoreThan for example always offer a cheap first year quote, then vastly increase the cost of your second years premium!

I actually stayed with Quoteline Direct for years because as a national broker they always found me a good priced quote. When it went up it was by a small amount, which no other online company could beat, no matter what extras they offered, like "free" AA membership!
That meant they kept my business, which was good for both of us.
This year largely because of their tv ad campaign I looked again at RIAS, who previously could not beat Quoteline. They managed to beat them this year, eventually, but only by a few pounds, however that was only after their rep managed to re negotiate their original quote a couple of times with his manager and if I signed up there and then!
Honestly I don't expect them to be able to beat Quoteline Direct next year, though of course they and many others will send me a written quote, which I will compare and then compare again online.
I will definitely have to take a look at what Tesco can offer me next year, based on what Braveheart has said here. It never occurred to me to even look at Tesco insurance before, as I am not a big Tesco's store fan!

One tip I think is useful for everyone, always compare online and not over the phone!
You pay for phone calls, as well as running the risk of being talked into accepting quotes, from high pressure salesmen offering deals which seem good at the time.
At least online you can read and study quotes properly in your own time, without any pressure to make an instant decision.

Pejazzle
20-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Damn it must be so frustrating comparing every year going through countless websites all the time? I found it incredibly frustrating comparing insurance and filling in countless forms on every website. I think I did more research than for any assignment I ever did in school!

I'm guessing most people give up comparing after a few years and just stick with their company so as to save the hassle which is why I'm guessing is how companies get away with raising premiums?

Diablo13
20-04-2012, 12:51 AM
You got it in one there Pejazzle.
That is exactly how they manage to get away with it. In an era where time is money, many people just don't want to waste time trawling through so many websites and reentering their same details, then carefully picking out what is included and what isn't.

One of the problems with all the price comparison websites these days is that there are so many of them. :confused:
Governments and industry watchdogs are very fond of telling you to save money by always comparing prices. The trouble with that is, if you were to regularly compare prices for gas, electric, water, house insurance, car insurance, credit cards and local petrol prices etc etc etc you would have a regular two weeks unpaid work to do. Then by the time you had finished, it would be time to start again because the market had changed! :rolleye:
It's like painting the Forth road bridge.......................with a crayon! @-) :hyst:

BraveHeart
20-04-2012, 01:52 AM
I will definitely have to take a look at what Tesco can offer me next year, based on what Braveheart has said here. It never occurred to me to even look at Tesco insurance before, as I am not a big Tesco's store fan!

Remember what I said though diablo, its "Tesco Bank Car Insurance" and not just tesco, to be honest I dont even know if they are both the same thing, all I know is that they are called Tesco Bank Car Insurance and I got them through a comparison site a couple of years ago, also remember what I said about the other thing too, at the time they had like a bottom of range garbage cover with massive excess etc, then they had the medium rated cover which is what I took and then I tinkered about with the excesses etc so that I pay zero, zilch, nothing in the event of a crash, 75quid for broken glass and/or fire n theft, ?10 for windscreen chip repair and full legal cover thats something mad like 100 or 200grand or summit like that is included in the price, only thing it dont have is breakdown cover and thats it, costs me ?34 quid a month, and then you have thier top or range cover too which I guess includes everything, well it was all like that a couple of years ago when I first joined up with them anyway, I guess you could call it something like bronze,silver and Gold level cover depending on what you need, but like I said, I took the silver cover and tweaked the excesses to suit me (I.E - zero) and this is now either the second or third year and my price hasnt changed at all apart from pennies and I mean pennies, 50p or summit like that, ohh and like I said before, thats fully comp with fully protected no claims bonus too.

p.s
the more I think about it, it must have something to link it to the actual tesco store as they give you tesco club card points too every year onto your store card too, so I guess they are all linked together all these companies, probably in more ways than we even imagine, lol.

Infact heres a thing, nothing to do with insurance, tonight I just found out that Halfords is owned by Boots (boots the chemist), lol, thats a mad one eh, lol, but true.

Crossbow
23-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Ive been getting quoted over ?13,000 for a Suzuki Swift. No Thanks

Diablo13
24-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Ive been getting quoted over ?13,000 for a Suzuki Swift. No Thanks

How can they possibly justify that quote?
It would be cheaper getting life insurance to run naked across a mine field! :weeg:

BraveHeart
03-06-2012, 01:08 AM
not sensible to lie on insurance!

another obvious post clocker, lmao

tinkertiler
03-06-2012, 03:18 AM
It didnt last long lol they carry it on they wont be here for very long pmsl