PDA

View Full Version : Clay pigeon

beretta686
03-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but are there any clay pigeon shooters out there?

I have a dilema on master eye dominance has any used those fibre optic shot gun sight that fools the eye to cope with changing eye dominance

Do they work?

DessertDog
03-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Well i shoot clays but prefer to shot vermin lol

beretta686
03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Shooting is shooting, same problem clays or vermin :thumbup2: just need to get over the inaccuracy caused by changing eye dominance

Diablo13
03-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Shooting is shooting, same problem clays or vermin :thumbup2: just need to get over the inaccuracy caused by changing eye dominance

That's the truth of it!
When I used to shoot, especially over 300 meters you either overcome eye dominance or you miss,........a lot!
If you want to be a genuine good shot don't rely on gadgets, the army will teach you there are two methods to overcome this problem;
Either cover your dominant eye, (I presume you are right handed, with a dominant left eye?) forcing you to use, exercise and strengthen your weaker eye,
Or you learn to shoot left handed to take advantage of your stronger eye.
Being as standard weapons of all types are generally made for the right handed person, it is better to use the former method and with lots of practice, it will become easier and decrease the dominance of the one eye, to encourage more even sight in both eyes, an advantage in all things other than shooting.
It is why children with that problem used to have the strongest eye covered, in order to strengthen the weaker one!

I am right handed, but my dominant eye was my left, so while I was in the army I had to overcome that same problem, in order to qualify on various ranges.
Its not easy to start with and takes practice, but it can be done because I did it!

beretta686
04-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks, you are right I am right handed but my eye dominance is changing (apparently common in middle age)

Which means most of the time I am right hand and right eye dominant but when shooting long left to right crossers and any other clay quick left to right I am starting to get a slight double image in the split second before trigger (I think)

I think I will try the "covering the eye technique" you suggest - I read somewhere that a small circle of scotch tape on shooting glasses over the left eye can be used - this give advantage of partial 2 eyed sight for quick target acquisition but then forces the right eye to remain dominant when in clear view

Down side is that anything going over one eye (even small circle of opaque tape) reduces binocular vision which is the best for acquiring and tracking clay targets

Again thanks for the comments