PDA

View Full Version : Apple's TV coming in 2013, says research group

Gazer
29-03-2012, 10:30 AM
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Apple's TV set (unrelated to Apple's media player, also called Apple TV) could be launched next year, according to a research group.

While some dispute the existence of any such project, other reports had raised the possibility of an Apple branded TV set in 2012 itself. But according to reports in Business Insider (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. quoting the Asian research group CLSA, the TV set will see the light of day in 2013.

The reports also mentioned that owner of key Apple supplier Foxconn, Hon Hai, picking a 10% stake in TV manufacturer Sharp (http://gadgets.ndtv.com/shownews.aspx?Sec=NEWS&id=GADEN20120197886) earlier this week was a related development

The research note:

"We continue to view Apple TV hardware as a 2013 event. The timing of Hon Hai/Foxconn's equity stake and partnership with Sharp along with Hon Hai Chairman Terry Gou's separate 46.5% investment in Sharp's Sakai City plant lends further credibility that Apple TV is in the works. This also follows reports that Apple is investing $1.3bn in equipment destined for Sharp facilities. The fact that Hon Hai is investing rather than just procuring panels from Sharp underscores a deeper level of integration which Apple/Hon Hai are accustomed to, increased reliability as Sharp has struggled with iPad3 qualification, and an effort to improve Sharp's financial position before becoming a more meaningful supplier to Apple. We also believe Corning has an 83% market share at the Sakai facility and would ultimately benefit from improving utilization that is expected to happen over time. Sharp accounted for 10% of Corning's overall sales and 25% of its display sales in 2011.

Most clients agree that a TV is coming; the critical question becomes how the video providers fit into the equation and how apple's offering would/could differ from current tv's beyond ios/icloud. Biggest commentary yesterday centered on LG Display as the big loser."

fump
31-08-2012, 01:48 AM
I have no idea what apple could bring to the table here. Obviously it will be the only tv to have access to itunes. I can't imagine anyone wanting a variety of apps for their tv outside of the usual streaming services. What I personally want from a TV is a really nice screen and a ton of ports in the back that I can plug stuff into. It's one element of a whole entertainment system.

Naturally Apple are likely to turn everything on it's head and prove me wrong but right now I've got no idea how.

hotn
19-09-2012, 12:13 AM
I don't think a whole TV set would really take off, I basically use my TV as a monitor, the best I've seen with plugin boxes is the googleTV idea where it can take over your digital box and overlay information, I reckon an appleTV set would basically do the exact same but somehow manage to restrict you in some silly way like releasing a new type of HDMI cable meaning you can only use apple certified equipment.
I'm just not sure it will work.