PDA

View Full Version : Query RE Sony HD TV and avi movies

Myrddin
05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm not sure this is the correct forum, but maybe someone can help?

I have a Sony HD TV which proclaims it's ability to play avi mavie files from usb. I've tried various formats, put them on a usb stick, but getting nowhere. I can view jpg files with no problem, but not an avi. I know I must be doing something wrong but I'm blowed if I can sort it out.

It isn't the end of the world, because I can burn stuff to DVD and then watch it, but it would be so much easier if I could get the TV to do what it says on the tin.

Can anybody help?

:-S

tinkertiler
06-03-2012, 12:08 AM
Sony are a pain in the neck and thats what the problem is lol Some play some dont on Sony tvs its just the way Sony are. LG and Samsung seem to be the best TVs at playing most formats. My LG tv plays most but i also have a LG blue ray player which will play anything apart from wmvs which i can live without lol

It all depends also on how long you have had the tv as there is a new compusary firmware that has to be on blue ray players which sont pushed through to be the standard and this stops you playing watermarked avis !!!

Myrddin
07-03-2012, 01:29 AM
Umm. Not a lot of help - I'm not planning on buying a new TV for a while yet! Guess I'll have to keep trying. Or make that call to Sony support. Thanks for your reply, though.

Diablo13
07-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Just ignore the purposely crippled Sony usb socket and buy a usb to hdmi adapter from Cyclone or one of the others for about ?25 online.
You then just plug that into a spare hdmi socket on the telly and plug your drive into that!
Most of those tiny players will come with a credit card sized remote and will play AVI, MKV, DVI, Divx, and mp3 files etc, very well, giving you a lot of extra functions for a small outlay!
I hope that helps Myrddin?

Spinifex
07-03-2012, 01:47 AM
Just ignore the purposely crippled Sony usb socket and buy a usb to hdmi adapter from Cyclone or one of the others for about ?25 online.
You then just plug that into a spare hdmi socket on the telly and plug your drive into that!
Most of those tiny players will come with a credit card sized remote and will play AVI, MKV, DVI, Divx, and mp3 files etc, very well, giving you a lot of extra functions for a small outlay!
I hope that helps Myrddin?

clearly theres always ways around it never give up hope :)
@dabs what u doing up still dont u have work in the morning lol no nor me!

Myrddin
17-03-2012, 12:48 AM
That's what I like, a bit of lateral thinking! Thanks Diablo13!

Diablo13
17-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Your welcome Myrddin.
Sony often advertise that their kit has a usb socket, but then they make them only photo and music capable so that you can't show downloaded films, which frankly I think is a bit of a con!
Glad to have been of help. v:Dv