PDA

View Full Version : fuel symbol on dash

alanjg007
29-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Just asking help to settle an arguement.

The little fuel symbol on a car dash. I say the side of the hose tells you the side of the petrol cap.

I'm no car expert but all cars ive ever drove has been like that.

My m8 who works with cars says its not always true.

So settle an argument, next tiome yor in yer car have a look and report back here if you would.

thanks

notanotherone
01-03-2012, 07:47 AM
98% of what you say is true and the other 2% says your wrong ,most cars as you say come into your way of thinking but there are a few that dont as your mate says.

alanjg007
01-03-2012, 09:16 AM
98% of what you say is true and the other 2% says your wrong ,most cars as you say come into your way of thinking but there are a few that dont as your mate says.

so were both correct then

notanotherone
01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
so were both correct then

yep id say so i have just been in works van a puegot and this shows the symbol to the left but its acctually on the right lol

Magnu420
01-03-2012, 11:57 AM
ive seen this question ask before on other forums,some say if the petrol pump hose on the right of the
pump means the filler cap is on the right,if the hose is on the left of the pump,the filler cap will be on the left
side on car,also sometimes you get a little triangle symbol near the petrol pump pointin which way the filler cap is

on this pix the filler cap is on the left side http://boardingarea.com/blogs/flygracefully/files/2010/03/fuel-gauge.jpg

on this pix the filler cap is on the right side http://i.imgur.com/Dxt5x.jpg]

cactikid
12-03-2012, 12:59 AM
mine is on the wrong side and when i pull up to pump i hope it has a long hose lol,must drive other car that is correct.

davie s
25-09-2012, 05:53 PM
This little item cropped up on a car forum I dip into occasionally.

I've driven so many different cars I've lost count but I can say that it is not always true. at the moment I have an 02 Astra, a Peugeot Mezan Campervan, a Saab 93, an old-skool Mini, an E Type and a Volvo estate. All but the Volvo follow the rule.

huggybbear
19-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Hi what does it mean when your car doesn't have a little petrol pump symbol it just says fuel 40 year old Rover am thinking here.

I2000
08-07-2015, 11:48 PM
The needle itself can point to the side of the filler cap with gauges on some cars reading from top to bottom but not the ones pictured.