PDA

View Full Version : Barclays FREE Antivirus

Shipoftheline
25-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Barclays fights online fraud with text alerts; offers free anti-virus software
In a bid to cut online fraud levels, high street bank Barclays is providing free virus protection software to customers and is also launching a text messaging service that alerts account holders to new Web transactions.

Barclays says it will offer its online customers F-Secure's anti-virus software free of charge. The bank had previously agreed to provide the anti-virus and spyware technology at a discounted price, but is now providing the software for free.

The F-Secure package prevents viruses and worms being downloaded to a computer, scans e-mails, protects users against spyware and comes with free 24/7 technical support.

Richard Hales, Country Manager, F-Secure UK, says: "This free software offer will provide Barclays customers with the confidence that they are protected against online fraud, not only for their banking with Barclays but for all of their Internet activity."

In addition Barclays says it is introducing a new SMS alert service and will send text messages to notify customers of new payees on their online account. A text message will be sent to customers when an online payment is made to a new payee for the first time, enabling customers to alert the bank immediately if the transaction is suspicious.

Commenting on the bank's new online anti-fraud initiative, Barnaby Davis, director, electronic banking, Barclays, says: "Our new anti-virus and SMS text initiatives will go a long way towards offering customers additional protection and peace of mind."Not bad for nothing

source (http://www.finextra.com/fullstory.asp?id=15358)

trinitys_mate
25-05-2006, 05:11 PM
i think the txt messaging idea is real good.

Diablo13
15-08-2006, 02:31 AM
Thats a really excellent idea. Its about time the banks did somthing positive for their customers as they have had a lot of well deserved criticism lately. I hope it catches on with other banks as well. The text message idea is very good and should let you know if your card had been cloned or stolen without your knowledge. Top marks to Barclays for this and thanks to ship for telling us. I might just ask my bank to do the same.v:)

Declan
15-08-2006, 02:37 AM
its great to hear that banks are starting to care more about their customers
and not making a quick profit from them ( well they still are but the risk of fraud will be reduced )