PDA

View Full Version : being a mod

jay
25-05-2006, 01:30 AM
I don't understand, isn't it a lot of work? please enlighten me about being a mod

I'm quite new to forums(less than a year), apart from respect why is being a mod so great?

JIMMYQ
25-05-2006, 01:47 AM
I don't understand, isn't it a lot of work? please enlighten me about being a mod
I'm quite new to forums(less than a year), apart from respect why is being a mod so great?

a mod has more responsibility than having respect mate we all respect each other on forums being a mod is sorting stuff out putting threads in the relevant places keeping an eye on things ie no one breaks the forum rules,sticky deleting abusive/crap threads
etc etc
there are different mods depending on each forum on these sort of forums we normally have a mod moderating each section where the mod has the responsibility of looking after his own section aswell as keeping an eye on the forum as a whole for instance a cable mods duty will be to help people in the cable section ie should also have knowledge about cable in order to answer questions from members when asked also to organise the threads stickys downloads etc

i hope this gives you a rough idea its not about having respect it knowing what to do :)

hibsbollah
25-05-2006, 06:34 AM
I mod on 2 site jaygotgame' I think the main Point of being a mod is you have to be completely impartial in your judgement and not to go power mad as some have in the past’ it will be up to the members if you doing a good job and trust me they will let you no one way or another. And you can’t be biased in any of your decisions and remember the rules are there for all not just the members but the Mods and Admin’ And you should always respect each other not just because you’re a mod’ Respect is taught at an early age and carried on through your life.

Shipoftheline
25-05-2006, 08:02 AM
depends really if you spend alot of time on a site anyway you wouldn't really find it a pain. The best mods you will find are the one's who don't really see it as a job and dont take the position as a way of looking down on members either and thinking it gives them the right to speak down on people I'm sure some will have come across people like that on other sites which is why I'm weary about about people who ask to be a mod

Tallywadger
25-05-2006, 12:55 PM
And their main role is to take all the sh.t and hassles from the day to day running away from the Admin so he can get on with improving the site instead of wasting a lot of his time sorting out wee problems.

Gazer
25-05-2006, 01:09 PM
depends really if you spend alot of time on a site anyway you wouldn't really find it a pain. The best mods you will find are the one's who don't really see it as a job and dont take the position as a way of looking down on members either and thinking it gives them the right to speak down on people I'm sure some will have come across people like that on other sites which is why I'm weary about about people who ask to be a mod
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Tallywadger......And their main role is to take all the sh.t and hassles from the day to day running away from the Admin so he can get on with improving the site instead of wasting a lot of his time sorting out wee problems.
------------------------------------------
Got to say your both right to a point..........and a mod is someone who is 100% in helping to keep the forum alive and kicking.

jay
25-05-2006, 02:45 PM
Thanks guys, I think I understand now.

I've always believed that respect has to earned, all the reply's so far are from ppl I know and respect for their knowleage and generosity, surely the tittle of mod demands instant respect even if you don't know them because they have proven themselves worthy.

Tallywadger
25-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Unfortunately as you travel through other forums you will come across Mods who start more trouble than try to diffuse it and sort out the problem, there are some who just seem bloody minded and out for a fight...any fight!just because of their status as a Mod and powers to ban people..so not all are worthy of respect -they have achieved their status through their knowledge of a subject..but doesn't make thema nice person! ;-)

The pont being just cause you see Mod after a name does not guarantee that you should respect the person..certainly respect their knowledge! ;-)

they wouldn't have got their without it.

Then you will visit a site like this where everyone is pulling together to get the best out of the site and the mods will be pulling along with the rest of us..cause they have a strong leader! ;-)

twobeercans
25-05-2006, 06:39 PM
every forum has a set of rules - these are made in order that the place can be kept running in a legal sense, other rules that are placed on forums from time to time are done so for the benefit of user equality. inevitably there are confrontations between differing persona's on the boards in order to maintain the rooms these have to be sorted out.
the moderator has to deal with all these things, infraction of rules to varying degree's, mediation between aggrieved parties. knowledge of a subject matter is very useful, commitment to the overall success and well being of the community as a whole is essential. in general terms it is best to have several moderators in order that differences between parties and perseption of the rules is unbiased, these decisions between moderators are normally undertaken in private rooms that are only viewable by moderator level and above ie admin, never in public view.
sometimes on matters of serious rule infraction a team decision is made about the best way in which to deal with such matters.
how would you become a moderator on a forum, generally speaking the way in which you provide information and support to members, your activity on the forum and your personality. If you meet the criteria of the forum your status will grow and you will eventually be asked if you would like to be a moderator. make no mistake this can be demanding of your time, and trying of your patience at times. This is why it is so difficult to make a good moderating team - because with a good team the work is easy.
these people along with admin is what makes a good place to be - a great place to be.

yes i know it sounds like an army recruitment drive, but nevertheless these things are essential and asking to be a mod in forums! is the best way never to be asked. WHY? becuase it proves your personality is probably flawed in 1 or more of the above requirements.

reckon that covers it more or less LOL:)

pipehose
25-05-2006, 06:47 PM
lot off very true words on this well done guys