PDA

View Full Version : HDD for PS2.

zaine
05-08-2006, 05:06 PM
What's the best HDD to put in your PS2 and with which software?

I have researched this a bit and found that the Maxtor Drives seem to be the most compatible using the HD Advance software...

Is this correct?

What can you then do with this added to the console?

Not up on this side as the kids have the most control over the thing... :9:

Z

Shipoftheline
05-08-2006, 05:32 PM
This may help you with some of your questions

PS2 Hard Drive Compatibility Chart (http://ps2drives.x-pec.com/?p=list)

bloke
07-08-2006, 05:30 PM
What's the best HDD to put in your PS2 and with which software?
I have researched this a bit and found that the Maxtor Drives seem to be the most compatible using the HD Advance software...
Is this correct?
What can you then do with this added to the console?
Not up on this side as the kids have the most control over the thing... :9:
Z

I like the Seagate Barracudas as they're nice and quiet and don't run as hot as some other drives

loiboi
07-08-2006, 10:57 PM
Well if you put a hard drive in your ps2 you can:
play ps2 games off the hard drive
play videos off the hard drive
play emulators such as gameboy and sega genisis
and probly some other stuff.

Check out ps2hd.com

brownvim
07-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Loading times are noticeably faster too :-)

bobbyboy123
21-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Has anyone had any experience on using an external HD through USB on
the slimline PS2.. I was thinking of trying it on my brothers.. ??

Diablo13
22-08-2006, 08:42 PM
A couple of days ago I put a Seagate Barracuda HD in my PS2 and it works very well. The only thing is the hdd disables the memory cards. I put a couple of games on the hdd which I was half way through, thinking of the quicker loading time but as the memory cards are locked out either I would have to start them again or I have to disconnect the hd to continue.
Does anyone know if you can transfer the data from the memory cards to the hdd and if so how? As I said I have only had it a couple of days and don't want to destroy the save games on the cards. Thanks.

law
31-08-2006, 03:19 PM
I have the maxtor 120gb hd in mine running with hdloader. Its sweet but gets a little hot after a few hrs, only minor tho. Been running it for over a year now with no probs. Touch wood lol

fredsuthers
04-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Most Maxtor HDD are supported and do the job. I have a Maxtor 80GB HDD which works perfectly. I also tried with an old 20GB Seagate and that worked too.

grantie
05-10-2006, 12:28 AM
I tried loads of different hard drives I havent found one that doesnt work. It is possible to back up your memory card to the hard drive if your not modded and have a slimline your in a case you cat do much. If your lucky enough to be modded or have a big chuncky ps2 you can use the ps1 exploit to boot whatever you choose too in this case you can boot various software. I recommend you just put a ether net cable in your ps2 and download the memory card to you pc with ftp its guarenteed you wont loose it that way.

Im not sure which hard drive loader your using diablo but there is compatability modes that help games along on the hard drive. I would give you a link to a site with info on the ps2 and where to get this stuff but im bot sure of the rules on that. All i can do is give a helpful tip put ps2 scene in google and it will find the site you need for all your ps2 needs.

neo130288
14-10-2006, 08:07 PM
i just went 2 my local computer shop and bought 1 and tryed it

and it work lol luck or what

wrx youngster
17-10-2006, 04:30 PM
I have been using a 200Gb Hitachi drive that i have had no problems with for over a year now.

freakazoid789
17-10-2006, 08:00 PM
iv got seagate 2x 20gb hdds

over 2yrs now, no probs since

IAmATeaf
30-10-2006, 07:02 PM
been using a 160gb western dig, the ide and power connector didn't quite line up so had to mod the network adaptor but the drives been running sweet for around a year now. I use HD Advance as the boot software to get a menu of the games on the HDD and always transfer games buy pkugging the drive into my pc and using hdldumb, much quicker then transferring via the NIC and ftp.

In terms of memory cards being locked out, this isn't a problem me or my kids have noticed else they'd be the first to scream, have I think 3 cards and my kids make max use of them.

modgers
04-11-2006, 11:06 AM
does the ps2 need to be chipped in order for the games to works from the hd ?

also i though i would look on ps2hd.com but The page cannot be displayed anyone have a link i can view to find out more. tia

MrManiac
10-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Link seems to be working.

And no, if you have the older/fatter version, you can use the PS1 CD exploit with memory card - the PS2 does not need to be chipped.

Get a Network card, a hard disk (ideally not a Western Digital, unless you want to sit and modify the connectors on the network card).

You can run the exploit from the MC, and have a HD loader of your choice, and that's it really.

modgers
15-11-2006, 12:23 PM
sound cheers will look into it a bit more

littlestanjunior
20-11-2006, 08:37 PM
out of curiosity, has anyone got sensi soccer working with HD advance - I just keep getting black screen after selecting it from the menu.

I guess it may be one of the 'other' 5% of games...

ky1
22-11-2006, 08:22 AM
I used the Seagate Barracudas 160GB and hold about 30 Games.

mug2k
25-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Good post lads very imformative. Been looking to do this for a while !

Cheers

kidda
29-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Has anyone had any experience on using an external HD through USB on
the slimline PS2.. I was thinking of trying it on my brothers.. ??

Yes I've tried not that simple still havn't cracked it yet

shandybean
01-05-2007, 06:13 PM
I have a 200GB Maxtor inside my chubby PS2 with the HDAdvance software. Works flawlessly (even after dropping it on holiday) including memory cards.

Those people looking to backup memory card saves, the Max Drive (by Datel) is a good place to start. The can be backed up from the PS2 and copied to your PC and vice versa. It certainly saves having to edit the teams in Pro Evo Soccer 6 anyway!

For games not working on the HDD there are a few games that need different 'modes' to be enabled. With the HDAdvance software you just press Select in the game list and then change options from there. Alternatively, you may use Winhiip to transfer files to the PS2 HDD and can set options before you transfer. That usually stops the 'black screen' from interfering! ps2hd.com has a good list, but many of the entries are wrong or newer games are missing.

Most emulators (SNES, Megadrive etc) will not run unless the PS2 is chipped. Simply because it's difficult to enable reading of roms from the HDD. The emulators are normally packaged into an .ISO file, which would be your CD-R if it was chipped. Some do allow reading from memory cards which can be difficult for the novice to set up.

There are a myriad of other things you can do then like play MP3s, videos etc when they have been chipped. You'll also not have to worry about the compatibility as you can just boot the discs instead. Of course, those that work can still be copied to the HDD to save loading times (very noticable).

As for USBXtreme, I have not personally had dealings with one, but know people who have. Due to the restrictions of USB the data transfer rate is slower than IDE and can cause problems with FMV sequences and also has a lower compatibility rate.

Bear in mind that you will need a PS2 network adapter if using a chubby one (only really available on fleabay now as Sony no longer make them) to use the HDD in your chubby PS2. Because they're not made anymore, they were fetching around ?35-40 when I last looked.

Here's a link to the HDAdvance/USBeTreme site. There is a section on where to buy. Mine and my friends ones came from HDAdvanceUK.com but they have since stopped trading.

HDAdvance & USBeXtreme - The ultimate Game Storage Solution for the Playstation 2 (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Hope this helps clear up a few things.

Orinoco
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I have a 160gb Maxtor in mine, was advised to used Maxtor my least favourite make of drive due to the size of the expansion bay was told the Maxtor fits just perfectly and it does, has been running with Hdavance for about 18 months now without problem, my PS2 is not chipped and boots from the memory card and plays copies without issue

Orinoco

shandybean
08-05-2007, 12:33 PM
I have a 160gb Maxtor in mine, was advised to used Maxtor my least favourite make of drive due to the size of the expansion bay was told the Maxtor fits just perfectly and it does, has been running with Hdavance for about 18 months now without problem, my PS2 is not chipped and boots from the memory card and plays copies without issue
Orinoco

Orinoco,

When you say it plays copies fine, do you mean ISOs installed on the HDD?

Andy

Orinoco
09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
Orinoco,
When you say it plays copies fine, do you mean ISOs installed on the HDD?
Andy

Yeah, apologies for any confusion I caused, you are correct I mean ISOs installed on the HDD

Regards

Orinoco

di33yuk
15-03-2008, 09:06 PM
i have a 160gb excelstar working perfectly, bought from maplins