PDA

View Full Version : Roofline work

Dunc
05-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Anyone got any tips for roofline work want to go maintenance free but dont know if its easy to do as a diy job or best left to the experts....any help would be appreciated
:)

unforgiven
04-09-2006, 10:46 PM
obviously you want to replace the wooden roofline eg - soffit , facia , gutters and downpipes with pvc. If you are reasonably competent at joinery work , then you would save a fortune as you can buy the pvc materials for quite cheap from suppliers. if you cant do it yourself then get some quotes , because as a painter , I know that what I charge to upkeep soffit , facia etc can be quite costly .

Hitman
01-10-2006, 11:37 PM
The main obsticle here is height.

If your no good with heights then dont bother.
You should ideally have scaffolding of a scaffold tower as you will need to remove all the guttering and replace it preferably with new as old gutter joints can leak when removed and replaced.

The job in itself is quite straight forward when your working safely.

The pvc soffets and facia are not as cheap as some people think but the cheapest place i use is here C & A Building Plastics Fascias Soffits Guttering Polycarbonate Acrylic Plumbing, Canopies Doors Domes Tools Accessories (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Use plastic top pins for fixing and make sure you space them evenly as it will look a bit of an eye sore if you dont.

Good Luck :wink:

CrunchiePants
24-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Yep C&A is a good place to get the stuff, also if your removing the old wooden fascia (which u should do) make sure you get the thicker P.V.C.u fascia i.e 16mm or over, the thin 'cappit' board at about 12mm is no good and will bend in and out between joists. It can be a dirty messy job esp if you've been having birds getting in, it is a bit open to the 'cowboy' element so beware if u do get a firm to do it. Remember NEVER get people to do any building work that cold call.