PDA

View Full Version : So i think my PS3 may have died

gonzo
08-12-2011, 08:24 PM
So my PS3 no longer recognizes discs when I insert them, having read a few posts on here I've come to the conclusion it might be my laser.
Question is now what do I do? I dont use it too much these days anyway, but its still good on those lonely boredom filled nights when TV is a letdown.
Debating whether its worth investing in a new machine or even an Xbox???

Spinifex
08-12-2011, 09:55 PM
you open it and replace the laser.

ebay.

tinkertiler
09-12-2011, 07:34 AM
As spini has said you can open her up and replace the laser pretty easily only thing you have to make sure is you get the correct one and im pretty sure you have to take it apart to find out which one. Ebay as spini says is a good place to get them from.

Getting another one could be a good idea but you may want to get a new one instead of a older model as you may find yourself in the same situation a couple of months down the line and getting a xbox is a brilliant idea lol wonder why i said that pmsl But at a guess you already have games for the ps3 so the choice is yours at the end of the day :)

gonzo
10-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Electronics is definitely not my strong point, wouldn't even know where to start!! But on the other hand, forking out a few hundred for another console doesn't sound too appealing at the moment, especially as I dont use it that much, its just a pain not having one.

karnage0012000
10-12-2011, 10:28 PM
yh u gta replace it mate

Diablo13
10-12-2011, 10:45 PM
yh u gta replace it mate

Your primitive grunts are not a post m8!
Join a site where they still draw on the walls of caves! :thumbdown:

Spinifex
11-12-2011, 12:24 AM
.... LOL

thelostone
11-12-2011, 06:38 PM
There are loads of tuts on youtube i have taken my grand-sons apart and trust me its not that difficult if i can do it lol,On ebay you can buy the laser or the whole caddie if your not to sure about repairing it just replace the whole lot

Disassembling a PlayStation 3

1 Remove the rubber "feet" on the left side and bottom of the PlayStation 3 unit. These feet house the screws that you will remove.
2 Use the flathead screwdriver to remove the screw inside of the slot on the left side of the console. Place the screw to the side.
3 Slide the top of the PlayStation 3 to the left. Note that you will have to use some force in sliding the panel if you have not done this before. Set the top panel to the side with the screw.
4 Unscrew the seven screws on the undercover with your Phillips head screwdriver. After removing each screw, place it with the other disassembled parts.
5 Lift the undercase from the rest of the console. If necessary, use your flathead screwdriver to undo any hooks on the back of the device.
6 Unplug the data cables leading to the PS3 disc drive. Be very gentle when removing these cables, as damaging them will make replacing the laser the least of your worries.
7 Unscrew the top of the Blu-Ray drive enclosure to expose the Blu-Ray drive and laser device.
Replacing PS3 Laser

1 Remove the plastic disc spinner cover by using a flathead screwdriver to pry it out. Not much force is required to do this. Also use your Phillips head to remove the screws holding the black panel down and remove the panel to access the eye.
2 Remove the screw on either side of the laser. Once removed, slide the laser out of the case and set it down.
3 Separate the metal axles, cable ribbon and white axle supports from the old laser and reattach them to the new laser.
4 Slide the new laser slowly into the case and rescrew the screw previously removed to take the laser out.
5 Reassemble your PlayStation 3 and power it up to test the new laser. If it reads your discs, the laser works properly.

bluefoxtim
12-12-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm on my second PS3, getting VERY loud. Expecting it to pack up soon.

cats
19-12-2011, 04:05 AM
I'm on my second PS3, getting VERY loud. Expecting it to pack up soon.
Play safe and back up your save files to a USB stick now :wink:
I had a nightmare time when my first PS3 got YLOD.

LPJP
19-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Open PS3, check model of the drive then Ebay it. Really easy to replace, just unplug and replace.

It's worth hoovering the vents once a week to keep it nice and clean too.

stmichael
28-12-2011, 02:47 AM
Agreed with LPJP - very simple job to replace. Good luck!

Rizacan
28-12-2011, 03:22 AM
Sounds like your lens is gone

mr_bigtime
02-01-2012, 12:37 AM
If you're not too confident in replacing the laser yourself it's worth making a trip down to Tottenham Court Road, or somewhere similar. They're usually quite reasonable in terms of pricing.

rodderz
02-01-2012, 07:44 PM
1. check if when you put your dics in do they come out the same way if so then your ps3 lasers motor has gone
2. if they dont come out the same way you cant take it apart and there is a little cartridge that moves up and down to read the disc so if that is jammed if not then your laser part in the ps3 needs a replacement part.
your best of taking it into a game store and asking them to have a look at it because this happened to my ps3 and it is a lot of hassle if you dont know the ins and out of the ps3.

whoopwhoop
06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
same thing happened to mine, cost me ?60 to get fixed which i thought was alright given that I bought it at launch and a new ps3 is still way more than twice that, although a new machine would be smaller and quieter and have a warranty so really its up to you if its worth the money

freeview99
12-04-2012, 01:26 PM
get one at cex.co.uk

h3ct1c
03-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Happened to me lucky I work for a electronic firm so got a tech to go in a replace the lazier I picked one up ?ber cheap from eBay. Good luck

Erol Huseyin
06-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Not really worth a new topic, so hope you don't mind, I'll ask here -

Basically, the CD drive in my PS3 has developed an annoying vibrating sound when it spins a disc. Is this a sign of it going, or is it just common wear and tear?

sportyjj
22-06-2012, 12:12 PM
I have done one of these very recently, not too bad to replace, search youtube for instructions and you will find some very usefull videos on how to take apart and more importantly how to get it back together, 1 tip place screws very carefully and make a note of where they go.

JJ

stockyboy123
23-06-2012, 05:45 PM
When mine died I just bit the bullet and got a new blu-ray drive, bit more expensive but now I have more spare parts :D