PDA

View Full Version : win 98 to xp

Magnu420
03-08-2006, 12:21 PM
ive got a laptop with a windows 98 se sticker with a string of numbers (presume this is the key)underneath but the person i got it off has put xp pro
on it,will me windows still be genuine or not,will i still recieve updates etc
how would i go on if i want to reformat the HDD as i dont have the 98 se disk or the xp pro disk,do i ask microsoft for a replacement disk or do i look for one on torrents sites and download it from there

Shipoftheline
03-08-2006, 12:27 PM
ive got a laptop with a windows 98 se sticker with a string of numbers (presume this is the key)underneath but the person i got it off has put xp pro
on it,will me windows still be genuine or not,will i still recieve updates etc
how would i go on if i want to reformat the HDD as i dont have the 98 se disk or the xp pro disk,do i ask microsoft for a replacement disk or do i look for one on torrents sites and download it from there

Get a boot disk (win98)

Free Pc Tech Support - Boot Disk Downloads (http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml)

Then format C: , if the partition is ntfs then unpartition that drive and make a fresh fat32 partition.

If you need any help using fdisk (deleting and making partitions) try this

DosMaster's fdisk Instructions (http://24hrsupport.netfirms.com/fdisk.html)

As for the download Windows 98 comments well thats easy to get and download but of course no one here would do this because its illegal ;)

beerdame
30-08-2006, 10:33 PM
I don't think microsoft would issue a replacement disk no matter what you tell them......

lee_79_uk
30-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Hi, I wouldn’t recommend getting it from torrents site, cos all the XP keys out there not 100%.

But you could always get the SP1 and SP2, but after that don’t install any update, otherwise windows does a licence validating,

and if your key is not 100% then you have to format and star again, don’t you have a mate that has XP? Use his

Shipoftheline
30-08-2006, 11:45 PM
Hi, I wouldn%u2019t recommend getting it from torrents site, cos all the XP keys out there not 100%.
But you could always get the SP1 and SP2, but after that don%u2019t install any update, otherwise windows does a licence validating,
and if your key is not 100% then you have to format and star again, don%u2019t you have a mate that has XP? Use his

You shouldn't talk about downloading anything illegal from sites Lee but your right all the latest release's of XP recently (the scene) have had the same keys so they must know its a waste of time giving new ones