PDA

View Full Version : Which box

ptaz
04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Hi

Can someone please tell me which is the best dreambox to get for easy setup and view sky and cable (ofcourse on two different feeds). there area few out there and a lot of clones. Any recommendation on where to buy too would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ash

Diablo13
04-11-2011, 10:51 PM
You can forget cable for a start, its dead since Nagra 3 was introduced.
So you have to go with satellite and as you say there are many boxes to choose from, depending on your budget.
Have a look at our site sponsor "The Satellite Store" for some good deals on Linux based boxes, which is what you need so that software can be written as open source.
The VU + duo is good and the Blade 7000's are supposed to be good as well.
Just don't fall into the trap of getting a crappy Starview box, because you are dependent on them for upgrades and pay a lot of money to access their poor servers!

notanotherone
05-11-2011, 12:43 PM
depends on what you want? do you want hd? or just sd ? if so dreambox themselfs are fine you have 500s 600s you have 800 hd 800se hd you have clones from anything you can think of and a lot of uk based ppl sell them as diablo says no cable tho ,but you can get boxs with twin tuners which allow you to record up to six proframmes while watching another but this is into motorised dish format ........and the crunch is you want just be able to pick all the sky pacages you need to do a few more things before that happens try googling cs

Spinifex
05-11-2011, 01:55 PM
If your just after a cheap dm500 give me a pm they are ?60 delivered and i can guide you on how to flash it np.
however you will need a true serial port to do this. other methods are flakey and or dont work and can kill the box.

Spin.

fergalsworld
05-11-2011, 02:34 PM
You can flash a dm500 using telnet which is a lot quicker and works everytime

How to

Ethernet cable
Back Up Exisiting Image First

To telnet, click START > RUN and type telnet ip.address.of.dreambox and press enter
Example: telnet 192.168.1.8
A command window will appear, enter username root and password dreambox.

To backup an image using Telnet

* Telnet to the box and paste the following command and press enter:

cat /dev/mtd/3 > /tmp/backup.img

* FTP to the box and navigate to the /tmp
* Here you will find the backup.img file. Copy it to your PC.

Flashing a image Via Telnet

This method will only work with a .img image file.

* Rename the image file to backup.img
* FTP the image file to the /tmp folder on the dreambox
* Telnet to your box and paste the following command and press enter:

cd /tmp && eraseall /dev/mtd/3 && cp backup.img /dev/mtd/3 && reboot

Wait for box to reboot itself

Sorted :)

Spinifex
05-11-2011, 07:27 PM
@fergs

i take it this will go down the ethernet then?
and wont use the com.

i always prefer using com port i know its slow but never has failed on me and its less risk of a brick!
at the moment i am running the new commando 14.4 image, at least the epg works ok on it and the times are correct.
usually i use the gemini image which is on me older box downstairs.

Spin.

Edit just tried your method it erased fine and then lost connection to host and bricked lol so reflashing it now.

Pejazzle
06-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Same thing happened to me today Spini. I just get green light with no image. :(

I'm waiting on a null modem cable now.

fergalsworld
06-11-2011, 09:37 AM
Same thing happened to me today Spini. I just get green light with no image. :(

I'm waiting on a null modem cable now.
You did use a ethernet cable and not wireless connection and followed the tut to the letter and waited for it to reboot itself, i have done it loads of times and never had one fail yet.

berley
06-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I use similar method to what fergals posted for my DM600 and it works a treat, but i never do it wirelessly
http://www.world-of-digital.com/forums/showthread.php?33681-quick-and-easy-guide-for-flashing-your-DM600-PVR-S

Spinifex
06-11-2011, 11:11 AM
You did use a ethernet cable and not wireless connection and followed the tut to the letter and waited for it to reboot itself, i have done it loads of times and never had one fail yet.

i never use wireless anyway, it erased all ok and made a backup ok but when it was going to reflash it said lost connection to host. however was it the fact that the box was green lit and watching a tv channel already?
does it need to be in standby? does this method only work with same images or does it work with any image backup or original?

i can play about today and try again and see why it wont work.

it saying lost connection to host is cs its erased the flash and the box fails to even try to reboot!
it has no memory of what to do unless its in the boot flash?

Spin.

fergalsworld
06-11-2011, 11:21 AM
The box does not need to be in stanby, after you have copied the backup from the box delet it from the /tmp folder before you put the new .img file you want to flash in.

Spinifex
06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
The box does not need to be in stanby, after you have copied the backup from the box delet it from the /tmp folder before you put the new .img file you want to flash in.

i did exactly what you said in the tut and it failed to flash the new image across.

Spin.

Pejazzle
06-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Yh I done it with ethernet. Mine erased fine to 100% then said illegal instruction. I waited for about 10 mins for it to reboot, it never so i rebooted myself and now theres no image. I'm guessing I can only repair with a null modem cable now?

Spinifex
06-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Yh I done it with ethernet. Mine erased fine to 100% then said illegal instruction. I waited for about 10 mins for it to reboot, it never so i rebooted myself and now theres no image. I'm guessing I can only repair with a null modem cable now?

yup its half bricked state. the bootloader or flashed image has corrupted.
ive read many say time and time again ethernet is dodgy.

you will need to use some kind of usb to com in your case, it can be done but not that easy to setup.
i saw this tho maybe of interest?

_To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. you will need a null modem cable to go with it aswell.
also on bottom of that page their is some software drivers ;)

scrap all that above cos i know youve got a usb to serial doodah, anyway ive just dug out my old one i used to use for my phoenix programmer and ive got it to work with dreamup, you may need to go through all the different com ports on dreamup, mine worked on com3!!!!!

1) turn dm500 off at back
2) launch dreamup
3) choose the comport
4) hit connect on dreamup
5) turn dm500 back on at back

hopefully you will be talking to the box via usb to com.

after that hit the flash button and say yes if it asks to erase blah blah.

Spin.

Pejazzle
06-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Thanks for that Spin. I will try that once I receive my cables, should be about Wednesday.

nick2
06-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I would not buy a crappy dm500 (clone) tuners are weak and dont lost 5 mins. Dont waste your money on creap crap m8