PDA

View Full Version : Help with sound on inspiron 5160

cruisecontroller
02-08-2006, 11:02 PM
i have an inspiron 5160 and formatted for my own reason and installed winxp pro with service pack 1, i cant get the audio to work, when try to install driver i get a pop up window saying: Device object not present, restart the system and run setup again, can anyone enlighten me on this problem please

Tallywadger
03-08-2006, 08:28 AM
sounds like you may be trying to install the wrong driver.. go to the Dell site and download the driver for the onboard sound for your system probably a sonic solutions driver

After you re-install the OS you have to install Dell Notebook System Software (find it under System & Configuration Utilities), then Intel Chipset (find under Chipset), then the audio driver. Find all of these on your downloads page.

The sigmatel driver won't install right until the system software goes in.

Tallywadger
03-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Run sndvol.32exe use your file search utility (or Windows explorer) to find it. If it shows up in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 then you've already got it.

Here's something else to look for:
In Device Manager (Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/System Tools/Device Manager/System Devices) check that 'Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator' is installed and running. It will be listed alphabetically if there. If not, then you need to reinstall it.

Haladini
03-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Here is the link to the audio driver for the Dell 5160:
http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R90698.EXE

cruisecontroller
06-08-2006, 05:16 PM
thanks guys