PDA

View Full Version : Help with woodburner / boiler

Gazer
20-10-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm looking at buying a woodburner multifuel boiler ........ as anyone on here ever fitted one or knows of anyone that as ?

If so please let me know Thanks

Regards Gazer

fergalsworld
20-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I have the Esse 100 se
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. but i don't have it plumbed into my radiators, they are very easy to fit on there own but i would imagine there is a lot more work involved if it has a back boiler and needs to be plumbed into your existing central heating system,
this guy is not far from you and is very knowledgeable and very helpful, might be worth giving him a ring or pay a visit to his shop as he has a load of wood burner's fully working in his shop
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Also one thing to consider if you live in a smoke free zone you need one that has been passed by defra which allows you to burn wood,coal,pellets,etc in a smoke free zone, they are a bit more expensive and you could take a chance of getting a normal one, but if you get a knock on the door its a ?1000 fine
They have what is called a secondary air wash system, which means it basically forces the smoke particles back through the flames for a secondary burn so hardly no smoke comes out of the chimney

example 100 not passed by defra was ?500
Esse 100 se passed by defra ?750 when i bought it but there are cheaper ones i just got that one as it had a big glass wide window, but it does tend to burn the wood quickly so i would not recommend it imo

here are all the appliances that have been passed by defra there is also a link just above them to a pdf as more have been added
http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/appliances.php?keywords=stove&submit=Search+England&country=e&search=true

Gazer
21-10-2011, 11:37 AM
Cheers fergs

The one we have been looking at is Hunter Herald 80B .....link here To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. df been told it is a beast of a heater / boiler

fergalsworld
21-10-2011, 12:00 PM
That is a beast, 9.1kw output to the room when burning wood you will be sitting in ya grundee's and the missus will be in her bridget jones with the heat from that:hot: pmsl

Here is a little ditty about different types of wood to burn

Beech-wood fires burn bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year;
Store your beech for Christmastide
With new-cut holly laid beside;

Chestnut's only good, they say,
If for years 'tis stored away;

Birch and fir-wood burn too fast
Blaze too bright and do not last;

Flames from larch will shoot up high,
Dangerously the sparks will fly;

But ash-wood green and ash-wood brown
Are fit for a Queen with a golden crown.

Oaken logs, if dry and old,
Keep away the winter's cold;

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke;

Elm-wood burns like churchyard mould,
Even the very flames are cold;

It is by the Irish said;
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread,

Apple-wood will scent the room,
Pear-wood smells like flowers in bloom;

But ash-wood wet and ash-wood dry
A King may warm his slippers by.

notanotherone
21-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I have the Esse 100 se
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. this was the company my father started with ,he worked his way up from the shop floor to managment and travelled all over the world to exhbitions and sales conventions ,the gypsies would ask for my dad to fit all their fires to their caravans as he was the only one they trusted ,i also served my apprenticeship at the foundry where they were made, in our house we had one a massive one in our kitchen the ones ,it done our hot water and heating and as far as i can remember was never off it ran 24/7 just a wee bit useless information

Gazer
21-10-2011, 03:11 PM
This boiler will have to do 12 Rads plus hot water tank.....have been told that i will need a wood safety kit as well ...which was around ?400 ...when looking into this, it turns out it is a boiler relief valve just in case the pump packs in, which we have on our gas boilers here at the hotel, which i can get for around ?45......
This woodburner is starting to cost some money now .... like having to have a new stainless steel liner, rain cowl, carbon monoxide and thats on top of the burner lol

fergalsworld
21-10-2011, 04:49 PM
This boiler will have to do 12 Rads plus hot water tank.....have been told that i will need a wood safety kit as well ...which was around ?400 ...when looking into this, it turns out it is a boiler relief valve just in case the pump packs in, which we have on our gas boilers here at the hotel, which i can get for around ?45......
This woodburner is starting to cost some money now .... like having to have a new stainless steel liner,rain cowl, carbon monoxide and thats on top of the burner lol
It will pay for itself in under 2 years and then you will have FREE heat and hot water all year round:)
make yourself a wood store as any freshly chopped wood will have to season for 6 months before you can burn it, don't burn any treated wood otherwise it will coat your flue liner and could set fire to it.

the only downside is cleaning and restocking it and also chopping the wood so get yourself an electric saw,circular saw,etc otherwise you will have an arm like popeye

Once you get used to lighting it without filling the room with smoke lol and get used to were the best settings for it is, you will sit there on a cold winters night thinking to yourself that is the best money i have ever spent as you cant beat the heat from a real log fire albeit inside a wood burning stove:)

oh and don't forget to buy the shag pile rug for in front of it:wink:

here is some of mine

Spinifex
21-10-2011, 04:53 PM
or buy a chimney and have an openfire lol

pande_monium
21-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Well, there's always the option of moving to Spain or even somewhere in the middle east... you won't need the boiler at all !!

Famous Japanese proverb - Mann who stayo inna desserto, no needo boilero.

:1:

Gazer
21-10-2011, 06:29 PM
or buy a chimney and have an openfire lol

I already have a 6feet by 4feet fire place with chimney ...but had it bricked up and a gas open fire put in when we first moved in as a open fire with no control over, and with young kids at the time was not a good thing to have.

Gazer
29-10-2011, 11:03 AM
ok had a few woodburner fitters round over the last week of 2 .......no one can put me a burner / boiler in for less then ?6,000 so that idea is out of the window.

Just to fit a woodburner the best price was ?2,500 and that was me buying a burner on top.

The fitter said it would take him 2 days to do it ................so me being me thought if it will take someone 2 days how long will it take me to do it ?

Well i have started to do it myself, by first taking a picture of my old fire place lol 10769

berley
29-10-2011, 11:14 AM
The fitter said it would take him 2 days to do it ................so me being me thought if it will take someone 2 days how long will it take me to do it ?

If its anything like your kitchen, a year maybe pmsl

dx100-uk
30-10-2011, 02:29 AM
we have the tiger + in our front room
the bnb has a gas bolier that seriously uses gas like mad
service three times now in as many years
and tok another firm to tell us its running at its full gas pressure rate of 13.9 and cant be turned down cause some previous muppet installed it wrong
cant get the nuts off to turn down the boi.ler pressure

looked at linking the tiger in with the gas, but we were not allowed to do it without some safety value which was ?1500 quid
the insurance guy said that id we did it, then it would invalidate out bis ins.

dx

Gazer
30-10-2011, 03:52 PM
well this is were i am upto now ............. Had to let the Mrs have a break untill tomorrow pmsl 10770

fergalsworld
30-10-2011, 07:52 PM
?2,500 to fit a woodburner did he have a mask on as well, the robbin fooker, i fitted mine myself
if you are going to line the walls around the stove make sure you use fireboard the pink stuff plus you need a minimum of 150mm space between the stove and walls.

Gazer
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
Well got a new burner coming this tues .... ended up getting a Hunter Herald 14 Stove ....so now got me work cut out to get what i can done before it gets here lol

Gazer
05-11-2011, 01:43 PM
wood burner and chimneys

@ fergs

Did you get your chimney lined ? plus what sort of pot do you have at the top.

I have been told that i should be ok with my chimney, but will need a new top for the outside, at the moment i have a pot chimney for the old gas fire outside and would like to keep the same sort of thing.

fergalsworld
05-11-2011, 02:00 PM
I did not need my chimney lined as the chimney sweep cleaned it and tested it and said it was ok and it drew the smoke/fumes up ok
I just have my exist pot on top like one of these
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlAMikUJ9fdr5a9YZ813_m8tmHP-1KerXhAvNqs43Wg9DR2RPE

If yours draws the smoke up ok you can either leave it or put one of these on top of your existing pot stop birds falling down it
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQgOXarXqYxcuIR1B5IqjUSso-5cJv1kYdF53WmquN4WEdmssh

or one of these to help draw the smoke/fumes up
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. more here
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=chimney+pot&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1525l4570l0l5605l11l10l0l1l1l0l785l2834l0.4 .4.1.6-1l11l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1024&bih=653&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi#um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=woodburner+spinning+chimney+cowl&pbx=1&oq=woodburner+spinning+chimney+cowl&aq=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=3896l5072l0l5293l4l4l0l3l0l0l86l86l1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=b14c6ade76ce39a8&biw=1024&bih=653

notanotherone
05-11-2011, 02:25 PM
or in your case fat boy youll want the birds to fall down so they can cook on your new camp fire

dx100-uk
05-11-2011, 05:22 PM
i'd line your chimeny too at some point

our worked much better after that.

dx

dx100-uk
05-11-2011, 05:45 PM

me and me son having fun with a cherry picker??

Gazer
08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
well the woodburner as now arrived, and tuk 4 of us to get it from the van and into the house :(

It as now got me wordering if the tiles will take the weight once put on top of them.

fergalsworld
08-11-2011, 09:47 PM
If you have put them on a solid screed and not dot and dabbed them they should be ok.

Gazer
30-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Well the fire is now fitted and working ....but the Mrs now wants a new fire suround plus a full Re-Deck of the living Room :( 10873

fergalsworld
30-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Looks great Gary nice and toasty to i bet:)

Gazer
30-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Looks great Gary nice and toasty to i bet:)

Cheers fergs

2 things i don't like about them is

(1) The Glass keeps going black ....so have to keep cleaning it before we Re-light it every day.
(2) Have to keep Refilling it every half hour with more wood .....just sit down to watch some TV then its time to get backup again and fill the fire with more wood :(
But at the end of the day its free wood :)

fergalsworld
30-11-2011, 01:32 PM
You need to play with your vent controls to stop burning your wood to quickly, make sure the wood is well seasoned 6 months minimum 12 months the better and also keep the wood/flames away from the glass this will help preventing the glass from going black,
mine goes black in the beginning but then i just higher it up a bit until it burns off then adjust the vents back down.

have a read of this its a good article to read take note of the "More on Those Air Intake Valves" and
"Light My Fire" and watch the video
http://rikravado.hubpages.com/hub/light-Wood-Burning-Stove

once you find the best settings you will be away:)

berley
30-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Well the fire is now fitted and working ....but the Mrs now wants a new fire suround plus a full Re-Deck of the living Room :( 10873

I'd want the fire surround took away completely and yea you've got to redecorate cos your wallpapers naff pmsl ​I really love the fire tho :zoom: