PDA

View Full Version : Sony to recall 1.6m TV sets over faulty components

thelostone
12-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Sony is to recall 1.6m BRAVIA LCD televisions globally, after faulty components caused smoke emissions and melted parts in a number of TVs.
Reuters reports that 11 incidents happened in Japan and were caused by a faulty inverter transformer. No injuries or damages to anything apart from the TVs were reported.
The Washington Post says the models subject to recall in Japan were the Bravia KDL-40X5000, KDL-40X5050, KDL-40W5000, KDL-40V5000 and KDL-40V3000. The faulty televisions were manufactured between 2007 and 2008.
It could affect TV sets sold around the world as the defective part is used in TVs sold globally.
Sony will issue local advisories to customers through email and through its website.

Diablo13
13-10-2011, 12:11 AM
The news just gets better and better about Sony doesn't it!
They used to be a great reliable brand but nowadays everything they make seems to be built out of Mechano pieces, in a mud hut factory by blind radiation sufferers!
How the mighty have fallen since they started saving money by not building workers toilets and crapping on the heads of their customers instead! :sad:

tinkertiler
13-10-2011, 07:42 AM
Sony must think what have they done wrong in their previous life pmsl

pande_monium
19-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I read the autobiography of Akio Morita (Sony's founder) about 20-odd years back and was highly impressed by his opinions and working. This is a usual problem... the founders of any empire have the drive and vision to take something forward, but their successors and heirs don't share this - resulting in a spiral which is very difficult to get out of.

The problem with Sony started when they started implementing the JIT concept (Just In Time)... This meant that all parts are manufactured by other companies to Sony's exacting standards. Sony would order the parts which would be delivered "just in time". Sony would just assemble everything.

The place where Sony scored was technology... it invested heavily in R&D and envisaged products which changed the world... the Walkman, Discman... etc... Where Apple is today, Sony was yesterday and the day before :)...

wowbagger
31-05-2012, 01:04 AM
I've got the KDL-40W5500, and it seems to have lost about ten channels, mostly in the ITV and CH4 family. THe prog details update and show up but nothing transmits.
It's the same channels all the time, so I wondered if it was a dodgy aerial reception, as otherwise it works fine.

ranz
31-05-2012, 01:09 AM
Sony are in massive trouble and can't seem to get anything right at the moment, I would steer well clear of their products!
Samsung are easily superior in the TV market now.

Diablo13
31-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Some channels have been moved a few times to different frequency slots due to digital retuning.
You should try a full re scan, without saving current channel settings, to pick up everything now available to you.
If that doesn't correct your problems, then you need to check your aerial is ok and pointing in the right direction, ie. the same as your neighbors wowbagger.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

Spinifex
31-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I've got the KDL-40W5500, and it seems to have lost about ten channels, mostly in the ITV and CH4 family. THe prog details update and show up but nothing transmits.
It's the same channels all the time, so I wondered if it was a dodgy aerial reception, as otherwise it works fine.

you might be picking up a 2nd transmitter since digital switchover. check for the latest firmware for your tv and then delete all channels and do a full rescan.
sometimes youll get repeated channels at the end of your lineup say channel 800 or similar those maybe the correct ones.

Spin.

wowbagger
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
Cheers guys. I've rescanned channels a few times since the analogue switchoff in the hope it would rectify itself but still no luck.

Aerial seems the most likely cuplrit. Bit of a bugger to reach too...hehe.