PDA

View Full Version : Signal levels (Acceptable?) - crackling

boyfriday
24-05-2006, 08:32 PM
Hi there

For 2 years now I have experienced the joys of a working Dbox decoding N*L channels . However on Saturday I noticed all the channels had gone and at most I could get some crackling sound from each channel with some recognisable speach from time to time.

At first thoughts this seems like the power levels have been reduced from outside into my house, perhaps work has beenn done and some outside taps have been moved.

The levels I am now getting are:

BER 26214
SNR 53600 - 54000
SIG 46200

I have tried to improve the quality of the connection by plugging into the feed coming into my door directly.

My original N*L box still seems to be functioning fine.

Does anyone know if these levels are suitable for a Dbox, if not what can I do to remedy myself.

Thanks

Maggot
24-05-2006, 08:35 PM
have you tried other alternatives such as reflashing mate or even just renewing the service files ?

digitalman
24-05-2006, 08:37 PM
BER 26214
SNR 53600 - 54000
SIG 46200

Your BER is too high should be anywhere between 0 - 100

try a booster argos doing one for £3.99

fergalsworld
24-05-2006, 09:00 PM
you will always get ber reading of 26214 if the channel is unavailable
your snr is just below the minimum check the cable make sure none of the outer copper braid is touching the central copper wire take any splitters out of the loop and plug the feed straight to the box also have a look at the center part of the atenna were you plug the feed into the box sometimes they work apart a gentle little squeeze with a pair of pointed pliers to close it up a bit.
take the modem out of the box this also might help
none of these help?
get yourself of to argos like digi says and get the SLX booster.

boyfriday
24-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the help, I will once again recheck the connections, but I think the booster will be the best bet.
Some channels appear to rescan back in but not all, probably due to the poor quality signal. I will try a new image quickly just incase, once one gets posted on this new site lol - but again it does seem to me to be a signal problem as i have intermittant sound, at very rarely some images appearing.
(just as it would if you hadnt plugged the ariel in properly)
I have already took out the modem, and pinched in the female dbox connection at the back with pliers.
I was wondering what the minimum should be , is it 60000? If memory serves me correctly my levels used to be at 62k, 63k but I could be wrong.

Cheers

fergalsworld
24-05-2006, 10:55 PM
55000 is minimum 62000 is good
try a booster first if that dont work
you could try resoldering the tuner joints.
h**p://To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. offer has ended but you can get a full refund if it dont work.

boyfriday
27-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Hi I just tried this, double checked my connections from the main door it still remains at 53k even with the booster?
anyone else had this problem or know how to remedy it, so annoying as I am just below the minimum.

digitalman
27-05-2006, 11:02 AM
Same thing has just happened to me, I tried another dbox and it worked.

I think the tuner on my box has given up - might be the same wit yours too.

Devilfish
27-05-2006, 09:05 PM
There should be a thick cable coming out of the tuner box (inside the dbox)...resolder it and see if it improves any!