PDA

View Full Version : basic help required please.

djmagic
02-10-2011, 04:50 PM
new to this section and have a question or two.

im going to turkey and am wanting to take a dreambox with me.
i will have no internet at the property to start with but do have a 90cm dish installed.
am i right that i need a 500s or a 800s the s denoting satilite?
also i can find images on the net using free wifi in pubs etc.
is it as simple as pointing the dish ( will get a pro to do this)
connecting the box to the sat and to my pc (to install / set up )

and away we go...

many thanks for any help.

*****************************update*************** *********
i understand that an internet connection is needed if cs option is taken as it updates the box every 7 sec or so .... if using fta only then no internet connection needed.... please tell me if i am wrong.

**OVERRIDE**
02-10-2011, 06:06 PM
500s or a 800s the s denoting satilite? yes
also i can find images on the net using free wifi in pubs etc no
is it as simple as pointing the dish ( will get a pro to do this) yes

pande_monium
02-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Sorry Override... I disagree slightly... please allow me to explain.

500s or a 800s the s denoting satilite? yes
also i can find images on the net using free wifi in pubs etc no >>>>> YES
is it as simple as pointing the dish ( will get a pro to do this) yes >>>> NO

Reasons... well you've said you won't have access to internet at home. So, that kinda puts you in deep $hit already. You need internet to be able to cardshare (I assume that's what you're after). If not... well, the only thing you'll get are FTV channels.

Additionally, you'll need to do certain things like doing a 'channel scan' etc based on the satellite you'd like to point to. Again, if we're talking card-sharing, then you'll need "soft cams".

I think I've given you enough 'pointers' to go off and do some research on. You really need to get your basics right before you start off on this project... otherwise you're going to be moving around with a half-cocked gun!

There's enough material out here (and on the net) to learn... and this is perhaps the best advice you can have - read up first.

All the very best.

PS: I'm perhaps not the right person to advise on stuff in Turkey, never having been there and not knowing the details... perhaps the wise shall direct you further.

**OVERRIDE**
02-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Cheers pande,Noticed he's added more after i replied...lol

Diablo13
02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
i understand that an internet connection is needed if cs option is taken as it updates the box every 7 sec or so .... if using fta only then no internet connection needed.... please tell me if i am wrong.

If you actually know what C.S. is djmagic, then you know why you need an internet connection?
It may update the box every 7 seconds, but it has to update it from the server providing your share!
FTA just needs a a connection to the dish.

notanotherone
03-10-2011, 08:34 AM
wot they are trying to say i laymen terms is ........................your screwed ,until you get internet as i see from your post ,you can get everything set up np but youll have to wait to do anything INTERNET is important for everything you want to do

john0745
03-10-2011, 12:36 PM
wot they are trying to say i laymen terms is ........................your screwed ,until you get internet as i see from your post ,you can get everything set up np but youll have to wait to do anything INTERNET is important for everything you want to do

As above.... and a router is also required for C/S. but if its only free to air you want..No internet needed..just align the dish and your away,,assuming the box is already flashed.

pande_monium
03-10-2011, 12:59 PM
As above.... and a router is also required for C/S.

Technically and strictly speaking... No, a router isn't really required. The box can be connected directly to a modem if the modem is connected to internet 24/7 (cable broadband like Virgin for instance).

But, logically and realistically speaking - Yes, it is helpful to have a router because it makes control and diagnostics easy.

john0745
05-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Technically and strictly speaking... No, a router isn't really required. The box can be connected directly to a modem if the modem is connected to internet 24/7 (cable broadband like Virgin for instance).

Im not saying your wrong m8.. but if he is wanting to cardshare with a person 100 miles away i would assume he would need access a router to cennect to that persons service and also the persons router that he is sharing with ?
well thats how mines works,, but ive never heard of C/S without a router.

pande_monium
05-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Im not saying your wrong m8.. but if he is wanting to cardshare with a person 100 miles away i would assume he would need access a router to cennect to that persons service and also the persons router that he is sharing with ?
well thats how mines works,, but ive never heard of C/S without a router.

Again, technically, the router is only responsible for creating a network for you. This network is usually within your house/office. There are various types of routers - mainly, wifi routers and wired routers (there are other types, but lets not digress). The wifi router provides your home with wifi... and the wired router is only able to provide you with a wired network. Reliability of a wired network is substantially higher than that of a wifi router for obvious reasons - security/speed/noise/interference... etc.

The MODEM is actually responsible for connecting you to the internet... and therefore, to "Mr A Person" who is a 100 miles away hosting a card-sharing server (or a file server... or a website... or whatever!).

These days, there are some routers which have inbuilt modems... for instance, the Bargain Media Hub... or VT Home Hub... etc to name a few. If you only have a 'router' which connects directly to the phone line/cable line, then you have one of these.

I hope I have clarified things rather than confuse you further. If the latter, write your questions down in a PM and I'll try to address them as best as I can.

djmagic
13-10-2011, 09:48 PM
many thanks for your input guys..... if i went the c/s route where do you find out who does c/s....... please dont grass any one up..lol