PDA

View Full Version : Who do Sony think they are!!!

tinkertiler
17-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Sony is preparing to ban gamers from the PlayStation Network (PSN) unless they waive the right to collectively sue it over future security breaches.

The firm has amended PSN's terms and conditions and users have to agree to them next time they log in.

The move comes months after a string of hacking attacks compromised over 100 million accounts of the PlayStation Network subscribers.

It is, however, possible to opt out of the agreement within the next 30 days.

Gamers will now have to try to resolve any legal issues with an arbitrator picked by Sony, before being able to file a lawsuit.

The new clauses, dubbed "Binding Individual Arbitration," state that "any Dispute Resolution Proceedings, whether in arbitration or court, will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class or representative action or as a named or unnamed member in a class, consolidated, representative or private attorney general action".

The re-written terms and conditions are being presented to gamers when they log in, but some have questioned who will notice the changes.

Tech news site The Register wondered who would notice the small print outlining the opt-out terms, and not simply click the "agree" box having scrolled all the way down.

Those that want to opt out will have to send a letter to Sony's Los Angeles headquarters in the US.

Once they do, the subscribers will be able to keep their right to file a class action lawsuit without any need for arbitration.

But before subscribers have a chance to opt out, they will still be required to agree to the new terms the next time they log into their accounts.

Otherwise they will not be able to use the online services.
Attacks and apology

A class action lawsuit filed against Sony in April after the first attack, in which the details of 77 million users were stolen and PSN went offline for 40 days, could end up costing the Japanese electronics giant billions of dollars.

Sony Online Entertainment, the company's computer games service, was also hit, as well as the Sony Pictures website, exposing personal information for 25 million more accounts.

In addition, personal data of 2,000 consumers was stolen from a Sony Ericsson website in Canada and details of 8,500 users were leaked on a Sony Music Entertainment website in Greece.

Some time later, a group called Lulz Security claimed to have broken into Sonypictures.com.

Sony has since apologised over the security breaches and offered compensation packages.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Anyone who still plays online is a idiot!! Sony think they can bully everyone and get away with it. So in my view Sony think they will be attacked again and taken down or they wouldnt do anything like this.

And at a guess the hackers will see this as a threat to peoples rights and will attack them again!! FFS Sony grow up admit you made a mistake and dont start pushing your weight around!!

Diablo13
17-09-2011, 08:00 PM
I will be surprised if there aren't challenges to the legality of this clause?
What it amounts to is absolving Sony of any blame if they fail to protect your security details properly!
Their fault, but your loss, with no affordable way to get compensation.
The un-advertised cost of your playing online,.....could be your house!
I agree, anyone still wanting to use their online services under these conditions is either a fool,............ or a kid?
Though I must admit, how often do you read the full terms and conditions before ticking the box to agree to their terms?
I know I usually don't, which makes the added clauses even more despicable!
You often see manufacturers saying "sign up now for the chance to win blady bla", but how many deals do you get where you can "sign up now....for the chance to have your bank account emptied and your identity stolen"? :rolleyes:

Strangely enough not many, in fact only one I can think of worldwide, is Sony! :Hammer:

tinkertiler
17-09-2011, 08:42 PM
No wonder Sonys online service is free!! They THINK they can get away with it and the unfortunate thing is that many many people will as you say diablo wont read what they are agreeing too which is just what Sony want.

I lost all interest in Sony a long time ago and i only have my surround sound speaker left made by them. I will not get anything from them ever again because of the way they have treated people in the past and how they plan on treating people in the future too!!

Its a shame that more people dont see them for what they are, bullies who think they can get away with everything just because who they are and they need taking down a peg or two again after reading that! !! They will never learn

Pejazzle
17-09-2011, 09:49 PM
This puts me an a tough position because I have a PSN account and I don't want to leave my PS3 and stop playing on-line.

I will continue to use PSN though because I have never given them my address or any bank details and never will so I'm not worried about getting hacked. Although people that do will have to seriously think about agreeing to these terms.

Aren't Sony just being clever and protecting themselves to not be sued? What boss of a company wouldn't try and protect themselves from getting sued?

Diablo13
17-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Aren't Sony just being clever and protecting themselves to not be sued? What boss of a company wouldn't try and protect themselves from getting sued?

Yes they are, but for the wrong reasons!
They are protecting themselves and their boards of directors from the consequences of their own incompetence!
Without customers buying their products they make no profits and so get no wages.
Some customers, like you Pej, buy their products expecting to be able to play reasonably safely online.
Would you have bought a PS3 knowing you couldn't play online?
Or would you have bought something else with online play and a better expectation of security?
Many people may start thinking like this because at the moment Sony have the worst record as far as security of peoples accounts go!

The point is when they sell you a PS3 and invite you to play online, you have paid for that privilege in buying the console, so they have a duty to protect your interests, not just theirs, when you use their services.
Instead of doing the right thing and spending money to increase the security of their online servers, they are saving their money and saying tough titty to any of their customers whose details get compromised on those servers!
That is what really stinks! :mad:

tinkertiler
18-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Its not being cleaver its being sneaky!! They are saying yep you can come on our servers and play online but if we get hacked and we loose your account details and you loose a load of money its not our fault and you cant touch us!!! Its a case of they just want to save money and they know that most people wont read the terms of use so they can put pretty much what they want!!

Sony stink at customer relations and im not just saying that because i am xbox all the way. They think they can treat people like cow bob and get away with it which is just wrong.

Pesmerga
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
That's why hacking the system is a good thing. PSN can burn for all I care.

Marshie89
22-11-2011, 03:30 AM
?50 controllers?????? like seriously???