PDA

View Full Version : Freeview TV Antenna splitter

mvemjsunp
16-09-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi everyone,

Hope this is the right section.

Around 4 months ago i noticed a decrease in signal strength on my freeview tv.

I have an antenna splitter splitting the signal to two tv's. If i remove the splitter and plug into 1 tv it's fine, but with the splitter inline both tv's are terrible. I understand that the splitter is causing a loss of gain from the antenna.

Can anyone suggest a way around this without having to end up on the roof again.

Does anyone know if there are low loss splitters available or the like ?

Cheers in advance mateys :)

Spinifex
16-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Just use a normal antenna booster at the tv end, a single way type for each tv, id just get one and try it?

But if it is the splitter booster outside then it will need replacing so that you get every channel without breakup.
Spin.

mvemjsunp
16-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Just use a normal antenna booster at the tv end, a single way type for each tv, id just get one and try it?

But if it is the splitter booster outside then it will need replacing so that you get every channel without breakup.
Spin.

OK, Cheers Spinifex, i'll try that. :)

Mezman
17-09-2011, 01:22 AM
I've just installed a mast head amp on the roof connected to a splitter which seems much better than amp/splitter inside the house.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. is quite an informative site about how to get your home AV in order (and slightly sarcastic).

mvemjsunp
17-09-2011, 11:42 AM
I've just installed a mast head amp on the roof connected to a splitter which seems much better than amp/splitter inside the house.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. is quite an informative site about how to get your home AV in order (and slightly sarcastic).

TY very much Mezman. Will take a look at that. :)

Spinifex
17-09-2011, 04:55 PM
they always say you should boost from the aerial end and not the other else you just amplify noise aswell as signal ;)

usually for tv its fine, satellite and other high frequency gear is not lol

Spin.

mvemjsunp
18-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Got me booster now, and everything seems to be working fine so far. Although the signal qualty does normally fluctuate throughout the day.

So far so good though.

Cheers mateys, and cheers Spini :)

Jod
16-05-2012, 01:26 AM
Would something similar help with reception for low signal freeview channels?

Diablo13
16-05-2012, 07:24 AM
Yes it should do Jod.

dave_moore
16-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Would something similar help with reception for low signal freeview channels?

like has been said above if you are getting noise/bade signal all a booster will do is boost the bad signal if you are in a lo signal area first get a hi-gain aerial id go for one that's for you area usual found in electoral wholesalers like Harrisons not one from a diy store or Argus as there multi area and not as good 2nd make sure it clears (you get line of site with nothing in the way) as best as you can get it to ie you might need a big pole to get it up high now as soon as the coax (aerial wire) enters the building should be the loft as you need to fit the powered aerial booster/splitter as close to the aerial as you can also it might help using some of the new type coax if you have the olod brown stuff replace it with the black stuff its not a lot and the shielding is better ie stops interfearance you also need to keep the coax away from high voltage cables (lighting and sockets ect) as the electro magnetics can inter fear the signal. also if your using a free view box i fined the cheeper ones can be alot better than the all sinning all dancing ones that cost a bomb. hope that helps in some way

Dave.

Jod
16-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. We've already got a pretty good aerial (not the best but i don't think it would make that much of a difference). I think it's probably just going to need the upgrade to the local transmitter which I think is happening later this year when the digital switchover takes place.