PDA

View Full Version : FilmFour to go FTA, launch on Freeview

Gazer
24-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Channel 4 has confirmed that premium movie service FilmFour will become a free-to-air service from July.

The move will coincide with the channel's launch on Freeview and will takes its reach from 300,000 homes - subscribers currently pay £7 a month for the service - to a potential 18 million.

Unlike E4, which is largely FTA but remains a pay TV channel on satellite, FilmFour will be available to all Sky and Freesat viewers.

"Channel 4 has a pedigree in film that is second to none amongst British broadcasters – we’ve not only showcased the best films on Channel 4 and FilmFour, we’ve actually funded and produced many of them as well," said Andy Duncan, C4 chief exec.

"E4 has shown the ratings gains that can be made by going free-to-air and I’m convinced that a highly distinct and desirable brand like FilmFour can also make an impact on a wider audience.???

The new FilmFour channel will typically screen six films a day between the transmission hours of 3pm and 3am. The station pledges to offer a "broader range of films than any other UK channel", screening classic films in the day, Hollywood fare and US/UK independent cinema in peak and foreign language and cult at night. Advert breaks during films will also be introduced for the first time.

The FilmFour Weekly channel will be closed but FilmFour's timeshift channel will remain on cable and satellite. Plans are also underway to launch a VOD service on broadband, mobile and cable later in the year.

“This change will significantly extend our presence in multi-channel homes in advance of digital switchover," added Duncan. "It will also strengthen our public service contribution by offering regular showcases for British and European movies, including films financed by Channel 4 itself through its £10m annual production fund.

“Our plans to launch FilmFour On Demand, available on broadband platforms, will enhance viewer choice further and complement the free-to-air offering. FilmFour has always been about great films you know and great films you don’t – now all those great films will be absolutely free.???

bricker
24-05-2006, 08:24 PM
thats some great news thanks Gazer . FilmFour shows some really good movies.

Tallywadger
26-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Excellent! I like me filums! ;-)

nss1888
26-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Great idea to make it Free to air, but ADVERTS!! :mad: NOOOOOO!!!
Next thing you know they'll be sticking the news in the gaps as well :rolleyes:

scottappleyard
28-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Great news, lets hope there are more to come!

Shipoftheline
28-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Great idea to make it Free to air, but ADVERTS!! :mad: NOOOOOO!!!
Next thing you know they'll be sticking the news in the gaps as well :rolleyes:
Some people dont mind adverts because it gives you time to get a drink/something to eat or go to the loo

nss1888
29-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Some people dont mind adverts because it gives you time to get a drink/something to eat or go to the loo
This is true, but the best movies are the ones that draw you in and then mess with your head through which ever movie making method is employed by the director...

I always find this pertiualrly tricky to achieve when some blokes shouting about cilit bang :))

guyincognito
03-06-2006, 09:58 AM

I dont mind the adverts, but channel 4 and e4 have a bad habit of showing a 5 minute ad break within the first 3 minutes of a programme, lets nope film 4 doesnt do the same thing.

Of course the alternative is, just record the film and then fastfoward the breaks.

SpyJoe
08-06-2006, 12:54 PM
This is very good news...

If u go to channel More 4 +1, u will see the news there...

Also I don't mind adverts if the movies r going to be good...

hardtarget
13-06-2006, 03:01 PM
filmfour isnt that good now anyway,
they used to show quality films but not anymore

DanielHarvey
14-06-2006, 10:39 PM
Great News

NooWay
15-06-2006, 01:06 AM
Yes.. That's really good news.
But the quality of the films seems not good as usual

wirralguy
15-06-2006, 03:57 AM
This is going to be sound some good films to be had on here

SpyJoe
20-06-2006, 10:02 PM
hi i have never seen asain channel on free vieue what is the reson

The reason is, coz we r not in Asia...

Have u seen Chinese, German, French or Brazilian channels on Freeview? Don't think so...

nic
23-06-2006, 12:37 AM
not before time imho. should never have been a payview channel in the first place,they do have a lot of decent films C4 but not enough to fill a ppv channel,but then the ten movie channels on sky rent much bettr i suppose and muggins here pays for them.

Lainie
25-06-2006, 09:16 PM
oh hubby will be pleased.

notanotherone
26-06-2006, 08:50 AM
why all the fuss theve all been shown on sky anyway or dbox or somewhere else anyway :fireeng:

badboyoflaw
29-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Its an ok addition to the channels, better than nothing, but really a channel that never really took off!! Its no sky movies :D

Shipoftheline
29-06-2006, 11:23 AM
Its an ok addition to the channels, better than nothing, but really a channel that never really took off!! Its no sky movies :D

It will be the first and only FTA movie channel :)