PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 preview rolled out

thelostone
14-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Windows 8 has been officially rolled out to developers, with Microsoft showing off the newest version of its desktop operating system at its Build conference in California. The new OS is based on the same interface as its Windows Phone offering and works on tablets as well as PCs.

The new design is aimed at combining the traditional Windows experience with one that works properly with a touchscreen device, something Windows 7 failed to do. There?s no more Start menu, instead a home screen which is based around Windows Phones Live Tiles feature.

Apps will be available from a new Windows Store, which will make it easier for users to find and download the add-ons they like. However, Microsoft is leaving itself open to accusations that it?s simply following in the footsteps of Apple and its Mac App Store.

Spinifex
14-09-2011, 01:24 PM
How awful.. ill still opt for windows 7 but i dont really want to move away from xp. all depends if i can legally still activate xp after they discontinue support.

Else ill activate it meself lol

Spin.

digdug
14-09-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm the same Spinny
I have windows 7 on my laptop but not really fussed on it, i much prefer XP. I still use XP on my desktop

It's always the same, I just start getting used to an OS and they bring out a new worse one (IMO)

Spinifex
14-09-2011, 04:01 PM
ill stick with xp, i dont play pc games so i have no need to upgrade. if i do play games i only really play old dos games emulated with dosbox. at least everything works on xp!

Diablo13
14-09-2011, 04:56 PM
They can keep it!
The new Win 8 Interface is supposed to be some kind of Xbox live crossover, designed to work with the Kinect add on hardware!
I can see the value of Kinect on a pc, more than I can a touchscreen because you don't sit with a pc on your lap!
I don't like that screen interface at all, it looks like a glorified media player, rather than an established computer desktop? :puke: :thumbdown:

Spinifex
14-09-2011, 05:11 PM
I agree diablo, strongly. i dont like this shuffle business.

i prefer desktop icons lol
and lots of them too!

mvemjsunp
16-09-2011, 03:04 PM
I just recently bought a new laptop (my old one blew up), and was forced to make the transition to Windows 7 from my beloved XP.

7's better than Vista definitely, but it's still no XP in my oppinion.

It wouldn't surprise me if Windows 8 turned out to be another Vista by comparison to it's predecessor. A mass of features and gizmos designed to force and shunt consumers into Microsoft's long winded logic as usual.
First thing i do whenever i get a new PC is set everything to Windows Classic 98 so as my little head doesn't hurt.:Hammer:

digdug
16-09-2011, 03:09 PM
I just recently bought a new laptop (my old one blew up), and was forced to make the transition to Windows 7 from my beloved XP.

7's better than Vista definitely, but it's still no XP in my oppinion.

I had the same problem when I bought my laptop

I thought the same too, 7's better than Vista (I HATE Vista) but 7 still has a Vista feel to it and is bloated and slow loading compared to XP IMO

mvemjsunp
16-09-2011, 03:16 PM
I had the same problem when I bought my laptop

I thought the same too, 7's better than Vista (I HATE Vista) but 7 still has a Vista feel to it and is bloated and slow loading compared to XP IMO

I agree completely mate.

I also use a lot of older software which makes life a bit difficult at times.

I know there's a Virtual XP mode on 7, but i never really use it tbh.

Diablo13
16-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Have some of you still got gas lamps in your homes as well?
Come on people if you use technology at all, you have to move on to the latest sometimes!
OK granted everything new isn't always better, but you just have to get used to using it to appreciate its better qualities.
If we didn't we would all be sat round the radio, listening to the home service, with a coal fire and an outside bog! :( :greennao:

mvemjsunp
16-09-2011, 04:32 PM
If we didn't we would all be sat round the radio, listening to the home service, with a coal fire and an outside bog! :( :greennao:

Apart from the outside toilet, that's my idea of heaven.

I'm ashamed to say but that picture looks just like me too.:o

Kalipo
16-09-2011, 05:14 PM
They can get stuffed if they think im having that on my pc.. it'l end up being as dead as vista.. if not then apple here i come. it looks like theyre trying to lose users left right and centre with there operating systems.

digdug
16-09-2011, 05:23 PM
[FONT=georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000CD]Come on people if you use technology at all, you have to move on to the latest sometimes!
OK granted everything new isn't always better, but you just have to get used to using it to appreciate its better qualities.

While I agree in principle, I believe an OS is slightly different

I have read and seen enough of Vista for example to stick with XP until I HAVE to change

Reasons...
Vista / 7 has a lot of call home crap in it
I dont like it when I click on something it asks me if i'm sure I want to do this (I wouldn't have clicked it otherwise lol)
Newer OS take a lot of control away from the user and while that is good for some ppl who dont know what they are doing, it also restricts or annoys the hell out of someone who does know what they are doing
You only need to look at the open processes between the different OS and you will see that the newer ones have LOADS open compared to XP and does everyone really know what they are doing and are they really necessary!? They all use resources and slow your machine and loading time is reduced

I take FULL advantage of my computer. I use it for a lot of technical stuff including web developing, programming, debugging, reversing etc. and there are programs I use which just cannot be run on newer OS because MS like it that way

While XP is doing everything I want it to do and quicker then I will stick with that :)

Spinifex
16-09-2011, 08:26 PM
@ diablo13 in all fairness tho there was no need for any other OS than xp.
xp could quite easily suit every single need with updates.

they could code directx12 to xp but they dont and thats what forces you to upgrade.
every software that has been made was and still is fine for xp!
so this move with the times thing is a load of cobbles..

ok id end up paying out over ?100 odd (kinda forced to now cos of ms) for win7 and to get what?
alot of dissapointment and faffing around to get all me older software to run?

why cant i or others remain on our preferred os without being forced to pay out more money?
i paid good money for this os and i never looked back.

ok so i wont get updates, wow whoopy doo im insecure against a hacker, omg the most he will get is me online banking if hes lucky enough..

only gamers need upgrades imho.
hasnt linux always remained linux without trying to force you onto other crappier versions thus its also free!
and am i right what runs on linux always runs on linux lol

How about we all drop microsoft windows and head over here pretty soon?
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. a windows clone :D

Spin.

digdug
16-09-2011, 10:29 PM
The OS usage stats for August 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

XP is still the most used OS. They do not leave enough time for an OS to become the majority OS before releasing another one

hasnt linux always remained linux without trying to force you onto other crappier versions thus its also free!

This explains a lot when comparing Windows to Linux

Different categories of computers use a wide variety of operating systems, and the usage share varies enormously from one category to another.

In some categories a single family of operating systems is dominant. For example, most desktops use Microsoft Windows and most supercomputers use Linux.

Magnu420
16-09-2011, 11:04 PM
ok so i wont get updates, wow whoopy doo im insecure against a hacker, omg the most he will get is me online banking if hes lucky enough..

Spin.
dont you mean secure against a hacker

im still stickin with xp untill im forced to leave then il go onto linux which is free and a lot of support
and updates

Diablo13
16-09-2011, 11:58 PM
My Win 7 was free as well! :-"
I take all your points though, your choice of OS once installed should always be supported by its manufacturers if possible.
It should be your choice to go or stay with whatever your happiest with.
Talk of 98 always seems so ancient to me because my first OS was XP and I didn't really have that very long as I bought Vista!
Having wasted that money on a quickly superseded OS, I have no problem not falling into that trap again, by simply not buying it!
I have always been happy with 7, it does what I want and I can turn off the UAC, which is pointless for a home user I think?
So here I am telling people to move on, but I won't move to Win 8 as I just think it looks awful, no matter what it does!

fergalsworld
17-09-2011, 01:05 AM
So here I am telling people to move on, but I won't move to Win 8 as I just think it looks awful, no matter what it does!
So what you are basically saying is telling peeps they should move on from win 3.1, win95, win,98, lovely lovely XP, ****e vista to win 7 just to be with the times....but you wont be upgrading to the latest os Win8 cos Win 8 looks awful!!!!

Double standards and hypocritical in the extreme imo lol

win 3.1, win95, win,98 lovely lovely XP the user is in control of the pc

Vista:puke: Win 7, Win 8, the PC/microsoft is in control of the user, no matter how you dress it up.

Nothing microsoft fook about with and release will beat or come close to xp, because everything after that is bloated as they have to include stuff that they think the end user might (note the word might) need'.

Just do a ctrl, alt and delete and go to processes and tick show all processes and see what is actually running in the background 70% is not needed by the basic user.

Plus other things to watch monitor, record, every little thing you do, but don't get me started on that scenario as that belongs on a a conspiracy site seeek

Diablo13
17-09-2011, 02:45 PM
Double standards and hypocritical in the extreme imo lol

Whoops! Caught with my tackle in the till! :))

I suppose I'm really trying to say we should try to go with the newest tech, as long as it still makes sense to.
The Win 8 interface just looks a pointless step too far, which was probably only developed to emulate those floating gesture screens we see in sci fi films, which admittedly look cool when they do it?

zinglebarb
01-10-2011, 01:33 AM
Windows 8 is really M$hq only answer to the mobile market. I honestly do not think they expect the main userbase to upgrade but instead they want to have a pop at mobile. The main advantage with Win 8 is its support for the ARM processor so cheap low power tablet computing will be in their hands. I personally think its to little to late.

Anywho Metro is easy to disable with a simple reg fix and then your user interface is pretty much windows 7 anyway. For a Dev Preview its also very complete ive had it playing Deus Ex HR very smoothly as well as video encoding etc

Diablo13
01-10-2011, 03:52 AM
It's so nice to see someone new to the site making sensible informed posts zinglebarb. :thumbup2:
You are very welcome here and I look forward to reading many more of your posts. ;)