PDA

View Full Version : receive German free to air TV on UK freesat setup

danielbleyer
14-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi - I would like to raise my 1st child bilingual and some German TV would go along way in achieving this... so here is my setup:

Former occuopier had Sky installed - we have used that Sattelite dish and a ?50 Freesat box to receive just standard UK freesat incl HD channels.
How would I go about receving German free to air chanels without messing about installing an additional dish, buying additional kit etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot

fergalsworld
14-09-2011, 12:10 PM
You would have to point the dish at 19.2e but then you would not receive any English channels of 28.2e
So in answer to your question you can not achieve what you want without putting your hand in your pocket and buying some extra kit, unless you watch the German channels on the net.

Diablo13
14-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I have to applaud your forethought in wanting to bring your child up bilingual m8!
You would need a motorized dish setup, which I don't believe is so expensive considering the gains it would bring for you.
There are some brackets around which can attach 2-4 lnb's to your dish, pointing at different angles so it might be possible to do it that way as well?
Considering you would need to buy the bracket and a second lnb, cables, installing etc, it probably wouldnt be any cheaper than having the motorized dish though. :-?
I suppose the main point for you has to be that it is possible, without breaking the bank.

Ianwallage
15-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I looked into this for using a sky dish with twin lnb for hotbird but they only do one that picks up Astra at 19 deg and hotbird at 13 deg Freeview is on Astra 28 deg so as the previous poster said you would have to loose freeview.

mrstuey81
05-06-2012, 10:44 PM
For what it's worth, a friend of mine strapped an extra LNB to his freeview dish and can pick up German TV on 19.2 and still gets freeview (though a couple of HD channels have gone) and it costs very little. His is just a sky minidish too...

should have mentioned that he lives near the south coast so the signal down there is going to be pretty good...

swingtop
11-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I remember the old sky boxes could pick up german tv stations like rtl etc. Was good when lerning german at school