PDA

View Full Version : New Lappy

DessertDog
11-09-2011, 06:36 PM
As above looking for a new one must have at least 4 gig mem or more if possible,min i3 core, seperate graphics card, ie not shared with memory, min 320 gig HD,Must have HD grafix and HI-Def output not really fussy about make, just something that you personally think i should look at.
Thanks for looking.
Price mmmmmmmmm dont mind paying upto 499.00 if its what i want but will concider from 399.00

DD

Diablo13
11-09-2011, 06:57 PM
You need to be looking at something with an Intel Sandy Bridge cpu if possible m8.
The point being that they have the Intel 3000 built in dedicated graphics gpu, which by all accounts will satisfy all but the most dedicated gamers.
Laptops with discrete graphics cards tend to be much more expensive and probably more than what you need.
There are quite a few online laptop deals around at the moment, to coincide with the back to school/college time.
Have a look online for deals on Lenovo by Sony, or Asus Laptops.

I will shortly be selling my 15"Toshiba, with an I3 2.13 gig cpu integrated graphics accellerator and 4 gig 1066 speed memory, with hdmi output socket, which would probably suit you, but I have to get my 2 grand plus gaming laptop back tomorrow and set up first.
I would let you have it for about 250 notes, which is half what I paid for it including upgraded memory, but depends how quick you want it if your interested?

Reddevil
11-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I might become Diablo's best mate soon lol

DessertDog
11-09-2011, 07:56 PM
What is a Intel Sandy Bridge cpu is that the new i3,i5,i7 prosessors from intell?
I could be interested in yours but need more info im on msn m8 if required

Diablo13
11-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Sandy Bridge is the mark 2 version of the Intel "I" series of processors.
It runs cooler and faster than the original "I" cpu's and has a dynamic speed loading mechanism built in.
It also has an onboard Intel 3000 gpu, dedicated to graphics production.
So if the cpu is say 2.0 gig, it will run 4 cores plus hyper-threading, which equals 8 cores virtual processing power at stock speed.
Depending on how you are loading your computer, for instance encoding it might only use 2 cores but those cores will be dynamically overclocked automatically to 2.9 gig. The idea being to give you the most processing power where you need it.
By self regulating itself the cpu can use 4,3,2 or 1 core at optimum speeds for the software requirements at the time.

On this Toshiba tonight I have been encoding and burning a film with Nero 10, at the same time as watching clips from other films in media player,as well as unraring another film download to a Firewire stick. It did all that at the same time , with several browser tabs open to search and answer forum questions.
I didn't notice any slowdown in my usage, though there was bound to be some in the peripheral programs I was encoding with.
Incidentally this is an I3 cpu codenamed Clarkedale I think, but it is not 2nd generation Sandy Bridge which is supposed to have a 32% performance improvement.
This lappy is 15.6 widescreen, with a 320 gig hdd.
If you are interested I will try to pull up the full specs and post them.
It is a Toshiba Satellite L550, in case you want to look up the specs online.
As standard it came with 3 gb of ram, but I got a matching 2gb 1066 speed stick from the states, to take it up to 4 gig.
It comes with a legit Win 7 x64 OS and serial number attached.

DessertDog
12-09-2011, 04:03 PM
thanks for the comments i have been looking at this one today any comments greatly apriciated its i5.Im not worried about the HD size as i use a 1tb external one also.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5084825/Trail/searchtext%3ELAPTOPS.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Diablo13
12-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Apart from the I5 cpu, which is better, that looks to be about the same spec as mine.
It isn't the latest Sandy Bridge cpu though and as the actual processors cost about the same as that older one, personally I would look a bit further to see if you can find one. It would make a big difference to speed, heat and especially graphics ability.
I'm sorry to sound a bit negative, but I seriously want you to get the best you can for your money and although I have never had an MSI, I have read a lot of negatives about their customer service and support!
It may be a one off, but buyer feedback like this one, taken from your link, worry me:

Wish I had never bought this By lmo12
from England

Overall Rating
http://argos.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/1493-en_gb/3_0/5/rating.gif
3Stars Average
Portability
http://argos.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/1493-en_gb/4_0/5/ratingSecondary.gif
4Stars Good
Performance
http://argos.ugc.bazaarvoice.com/1493-en_gb/3_0/5/ratingSecondary.gif
3Stars Average
Included software
3Stars Average
Battery life
3Stars Average

Recommend to a friend? No
"The spec and internal performance of this laptop is fantastic, however I have had to return to store twice now to change it for another one. The first time the Fn functions stopped working within 3 days and then the tops of some of the keys fell off within 4 days! I am giving it one last try on a 3rd time lucky basis but am not hopeful"

It just doesn't give me confidence in the build quality?

Wish I had more time to help you look, but got loads on just now, though I will try as soon as I get chance.
If I was you I would check out;
Scan, Ebuyer, Dabs, Overclockers UK, Amazon and even Staples for their latest deals.
As I said before it seems a good time to buy a lappy with the back to school offers.
Not all are created equal though, so always read customer reviews if you can.

DessertDog
12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
ty m8 for your help i need it honest how about this one its sandy bridge but never heard of the lappy make .
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or this one To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. The more i look at this Lappy the Zoostorm the more i think its a real bargain gonna give meself a day to see any comments then im gonna decide lol
Thanks for looking

Reddevil
12-09-2011, 09:21 PM
ty m8 for your help i need it honest how about this one its sandy bridge but never heard of the lappy make .
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or this one To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Has some good reviews DD

DessertDog
12-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Has some good reviews DD
What one m8 ?

DessertDog
13-09-2011, 05:17 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm the zoostorm one is out of stock now looking also at this one :

http://www.dabs.com/products/acer-aspire-5750-core-i3-2310m-4gb-320gb-15-6--w7hp-7KKC.html

Diablo13
14-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Impressive spec on that Zoostorm m8, can't knock it at that price!
Sandy Bridge cpu, 8gb ram and 500 gb hd,with good reviews.
I have heard of Zoostorm before, I believe they make custom laptops.
It doesn't say it's out of stock on the site m8, as I just looked at silly o clock!
Ebuyer have good customer service and returns service, should you need it!
I would go for that m8.

I bought an Acer from Curry's a couple of years ago. Not sure who makes it, its a Currys own brand one I think.
It was my first lappy and I hated the unresponsive mouse keys and pad.
It went back for a refund within 48hours!
Much lower spec than the Zoostorm as well.

This looks pretty good as well, Sony Vaio, good make but costs a bit more;

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. On balance, I would still go for the Zoostorm for its spec! :thumbup2:

DessertDog
14-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Sad day me lappy has given up it wont boot so had no choice but to get a new one setled on the Acer 5742 4 gigmem,i5-480m co-pro and 320 gigHD.
thats what im on now before i go to work.
Thanks all for your valued help and advise.

fergalsworld
14-09-2011, 12:02 PM
What do you mean exactly by it wont boot
is it dead completely no lights sound or anything
does it have lights when you switch it on
does it get to the boot screen or return a bsod
more info please.

Im in agreement with diablo I would not touch an acer with a barge pole, take it back DD and get a decent laptop like an Asus, sony, etc

digdug
14-09-2011, 03:38 PM
I'd recommend to avoid Acer too
I have worked in retail and can tell you that Acer's were the worse for coming back faulty

I have friends who have Acer's and although the spec is good they just seem cheap and plasticy to use

Diablo13
14-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Let us know how you get on with it DD?
I hope you have more luck with Acer than I did! :goodluck:

Yes the Zoostorm is out of stock now, though it showed in stock early this morning when I looked. :(

DessertDog
14-09-2011, 05:11 PM
What do you mean exactly by it wont boot
is it dead completely no lights sound or anything
does it have lights when you switch it on
does it get to the boot screen or return a bsod
more info please.

Im in agreement with diablo I would not touch an acer with a barge pole, take it back DD and get a decent laptop like an Asus, sony, etc

When i boot it up i get the loading bar along the bottom but then all i get is the flashing curser top right,as for taking it back i cant unless there is something wrong they said.But Red said to deleat the partition and i have done that and i have restored the bacupk dvds and it seems to be working ok so far lolIts now saying please wait while windows contiues setting up your pc wahooooooooooooooooo I have had my acer 4 years and been happy untill recently .

Reddevil
14-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I have to disagree on the acer thing ive had several in the past all exemplary and trouble free.

Glad that worked DD sounds like a bad driver or system hiccup caused the none booting.

DessertDog
14-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Let us know how you get on with it DD?
I hope you have more luck with Acer than I did! :goodluck:

Yes the Zoostorm is out of stock now, though it showed in stock early this morning when I looked. :(
That is strange m8 i checked about 8pm and ebuyer showed out of stock then Otherwise i would have brought it.

fergalsworld
14-09-2011, 08:33 PM
as for taking it back i cant unless there is something wrong they said.
Don't listen to the crap they come out with, if your not happy with the product you have a limited time to take it back and get a full refund
its all in the SOGA
But if your happy then that's all that matters.

DessertDog
15-09-2011, 03:26 PM
Just a short update had the new lappy running now none stop 36hrs im impressed was a bit disapointed when i tried to move files from lappy to Usb drive but found that it was my fault didnt have usb drive connected to usbII socket it was running through a multi usb adapter that was only usb1 its now fine.I dont play games but bought medal of honour from morissons for 4 quid installed it and i must say again it runs fine i know its an old game but i was using torrents and doing a scan at the same time.Hope this is of use to someone.

Diablo13
15-09-2011, 03:36 PM
So long as your happy with it DD, that's all that's important. :thumbup2:

NAILL
06-01-2012, 03:21 AM
hey mate considered a price match at one of the large pc stores great offers at this time of year

Diablo13
10-01-2012, 04:10 PM
hey mate considered a price match at one of the large pc stores great offers at this time of year

It wasn't at this time of year though was it NAIL, he bought it back in September! lol
FFS don't encourage retailers to start Xmas and their sales any earlier than they already do! :sh: