PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn Hour A-210

max81
06-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi there, I'm looking to buy a home media player and was looking for some advice...

The majority of the files I'll be using are .mkv (h.264 with subtitles) and I was wondering what people's thoughts were on the PCH A-210 on doing this. I've seen some people complain of A/V sync issues and I'm worried about getting one mail order and having problems with my files.

Is there a better alternative out there for about the same price?

Thanks

tinkertiler
06-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Do you have a laptop with a hdmi port on it?? Its the best idea to use something like a laptop or pc to play movies on the tv imo as they are basicly future proof lol

Either that or a games console to play them on.

Diablo13
07-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I have heard both good and bad about Popcorn Hour players.
Many people love them, others find them limited in some ways.

I have an Asus O Play HD2, which I am very pleased with.
It takes an internal HDD, mine currently has a 1.5 terabyte drive in it. It also has usb 2 connections front and back as well as a combined firewire/usb on the front which is powered. The front panel also has a couple of multi function card readers on it, for transfer from a camcorder etc. There is also a usb 3 connection on the back for a direct, very fast transfer of data from a computer, or by the RJ45 internet connection also on the back. So there is a wide range of connection ports!
It also plays any film or music files I have ever thrown at it, whatever encoding method is used, outputting them through hdmi in up to 1080p hi def.
I think its awesome, though its not perfect.
I have had no problems in almost a year, and I believe it is guaranteed for 2 years.
Some people have complained about speeds of its Samba and Torrent functions which it has additionally. It has Flicker software as well but I have never used that. It all comes down to what specifically you use it for I suppose.

Apart from buying the Asus player, which I know from experience is great, I think you should have a look on amazon.co.uk for media players. They have a lot of different ones, along with the all important users comments and feedback. You can then learn from the horses mouth which one would best suit your needs and price!
If you have never tried shopping on Amazon, they have good prices, fast delivery, free up to 5 days delivery and a good refund or exchange policy if on a rare occasion you did get a problem.

If you are set on a Popcorn Hour unit, I can't help you. But if you are looking to research customer opinions and functions of different models, then Amazon is the place to look!
I hope this helps and you find what you are looking for max81.

Welcome to our friendly forums as well! :thumbup: