PDA

View Full Version : Err: 8888

vinnyjones
01-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Hi,

I've had my box for about 4 years now, its a Pace Di1000 and the only thing i have had to worry about is reprogramming the card...

For some reason it has sort of gone dead. The picture froze and then when i pulled the plug and put it back in, the leds started momentarily flashing after which all LEDS came on the it displayed the message 8888...

I searched the forums to find people suggesting to reflow the atmels... Now i'm going to have to let out a dreaded secret that i have been keeping for sometime... I didn't modify my box, had someone else do it so never needed to open it... I opened it and found 2 Atmels... Question is how do i reflow them, i kind of got the idea that reflow meant restablishing all the connections between the chip and the mainboard... Also i can't solder for s**t... What is the easiest way?

Any help greatly appreciated...

stonned2thebone
01-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi,
I've had my box for about 4 years now, its a Pace Di1000 and the only thing i have had to worry about is reprogramming the card...
For some reason it has sort of gone dead. The picture froze and then when i pulled the plug and put it back in, the leds started momentarily flashing after which all LEDS came on the it displayed the message 8888...
I searched the forums to find people suggesting to reflow the atmels... Now i'm going to have to let out a dreaded secret that i have been keeping for sometime... I didn't modify my box, had someone else do it so never needed to open it... I opened it and found 2 Atmels... Question is how do i reflow them, i kind of got the idea that reflow meant restablishing all the connections between the chip and the mainboard... Also i can't solder for s**t... What is the easiest way?
Any help greatly appreciated...
when powering up the box gently press down on the atty see if it sorts out if not then you will most proberly need to reflow them

vinnyjones
01-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Hey,

That worked temporarily... When i pressed down on the chips the dodgy LEDS eventually turned into "PACE". Connected it all up and it worked however about an hour ago it restarted itself twice and seems to be overheating so i have disconnected it...

Any other ideas?

stonned2thebone
02-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey,
That worked temporarily... When i pressed down on the chips the dodgy LEDS eventually turned into "PACE". Connected it all up and it worked however about an hour ago it restarted itself twice and seems to be overheating so i have disconnected it...
Any other ideas?

use a hot air blower with flux to reflow and it should be ok

vinnyjones
05-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the help, i'm going to buy the standard flux from Maplins and i was looking at purchasing butane pencil torch from ebay:

eBay.co.uk: BUTANE PENCIL TORCH, SOLDERING IRON, MINI BLOW LAMP (item 200011505667 end time 05-Aug-06 19:38:07 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUTANE-PENCIL-TORCH-SOLDERING-IRON-MINI-BLOW-LAMP_W0QQitemZ200011505667QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10600 1QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Found a video for this so i'm gonna have a shot at it, let you know how it goes. Apparently dirty contacts on SIMM can cause it as well..

stonned2thebone
05-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the help, i'm going to buy the standard flux from Maplins and i was looking at purchasing butane pencil torch from ebay:
eBay.co.uk: BUTANE PENCIL TORCH, SOLDERING IRON, MINI BLOW LAMP (item 200011505667 end time 05-Aug-06 19:38:07 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BUTANE-PENCIL-TORCH-SOLDERING-IRON-MINI-BLOW-LAMP_W0QQitemZ200011505667QQihZ010QQcategoryZ10600 1QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
Found a video for this so i'm gonna have a shot at it, let you know how it goes. Apparently dirty contacts on SIMM can cause it as well..

yes m8 bad simm contacts can cause a prob but if you pressed down on the attys and it fired up ok then thats where you need to fix

vinnyjones
05-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks mate... i also ordered myself a dreambox as a backup.. needed an excuse to buy one and set it up.... :-)

vinnyjones
06-08-2006, 01:46 AM
I did reflow the atmels in the end and the 8888 seems to have gone away... When i power on my box, the LEDs do flash a bit (one 8 flashes) and then it displays "PACE"...The only thing is no channels were displaying, i notice that my NETID had reset itself to 09999 so i used the funcard NETID method to change it back to the correct NETID...

The EPG displays the channel no and name but there is no picture whatsoever... From the engineers menu i noticed that with my card in, CARD STATUS = No T-Stream which from what i have read means that there is no cable connection (but there is)..

To be honest i'm a bit stumped, any ideas...