PDA

View Full Version : Can we have a delete from list or unwanted tick box on the new threads page?

Diablo13
29-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Returning to the forum today after 1 day away I found I had 100 unread posts!
I suppose that's good, but it does take time to scroll through and read, then answer the ones I wanted.
There are a lot of new members posts, but also many other topics I rarely read because I haven't got an Iphone for example, or I have no interest in the topic.
The idea is to have a tick box on the left hand side of every new post on the new posts page, so that as we scroll down we can tick it which will either remove, hide or mark as read each individual post on that personal list.
Then when we have read a post and click on the unread posts link at the top, when we come back we don't have to scroll through all of the new posts each time to find the ones which interest us as individuals.

That doesn't mean that we will not read those other posts later, as we browse for something to read, it just helps us to prioritize more quickly the subjects we are really interested in reading first.
At the moment we have an all or nothing approach to new posts, where we can continue to scroll down all of them several times, or we have to "mark all as read" to save time, meaning we could miss out on something interesting!
Do you think this would be a good and useful addition? :-?

billyboy1963
29-08-2011, 08:26 PM
That is a really great suggestion Diablo.

It certainly would help to delete all the posts from new members only joining to use the codes

Spinifex
29-08-2011, 09:45 PM
A nice idea m8 indeed. but all i do especially when going through is reply to say the hi threads and hit back button and the ones ive done will be unhighlighted into a lighter black and not so bold if i remember and then carry onto the next thread.

Once im happy ive done the majority of reading and replying in the same manner i then only hit whats new.
or you could try visiting more often and keep up lol :p

Spin.

Diablo13
31-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Well it seems from the amount of feedback that that idea went down like syphilis in a brothel! :(

Pejazzle
01-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Well it seems from the amount of feedback that that idea went down like syphilis in a brothel! :(

Nothing wrong with syphilis mate!

Joking aside it's a great idea. Admins must have missed it because of all the new members post :rolleyes:

Diablo13
01-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Joking aside it's a great idea. Admins must have missed it because of all the new members post :rolleyes:

Now doesn't that remark just prove a point m8! lol

Ureyesonly
01-09-2011, 10:39 AM
wot this really come's down to is your all getting old and can't keep up lol

Reddevil
01-09-2011, 10:51 AM
there used to be an exclude forums from search hack will check if ported to VB4 over the weekend for yah.

Ureyesonly
01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
there used to be an exclude forums from search hack will check if ported to VB4 over the weekend for yah.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or another one called Selective Forum Filter

Reddevil
01-09-2011, 12:00 PM
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. or another one called Selective Forum Filter

Thats not the one i was referring to, you selected the forums from your usercp that is just a global skip forum which would probably be no good.

Diablo13
01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
wot this really come's down to is your all getting old and can't keep up lol

No that's not it, its hard enough to find interesting posts these days without having to constantly trawl through the majority of hello posts!
Most of the time I just wish there was something interesting to keep up with!
I have spent more time welcoming, or even posting moderators type comments to stupid posts which say in effect "Hi where are the codes", than they did in making the post in the first place! I know that's not my job, but I have been here a long time and can't help it.
A bit like a retired teacher that can't help correcting peoples bad grammar!
As soon as you open many of these posts you can tell you will never hear from these 'new members' again, so I'm sorry but I just don't have the patience or inclination to reply to people who really have no interest in the site at all, except for the codes.
It's not just them, we have developed a copy and paste site mentality, where a lot of people do just that, but never comment themselves on their own started threads!
While some of those threads are interesting, you can get too many at once as all members have phases of boosting their post count. I have other things to do than to keep repeatedly scrolling through so many of these which don't interest me.
Its all about streamlining the topics of interest more efficiently from a personal perspective, is that so wrong?

Thanks for looking into it for me Red, its just an idea for what I think is a useful facility, no one is forcing people to use it!
At least I'm trying to be constructive!

Reddevil
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Ok ive found something nice for you to try diablo, bear in mind its not fully configured but should suit for now.

Use the whats new search you can now exclude forums not to be shown, you set this using your user cp (settings) then select general settings, you will see a new box near the bottom where you select forums(s) hold the ctrl key for multiple selection

Let me know if this works as i dont have time to test this at the moment.

ps send your bribes in the post pmsl

Diablo13
01-09-2011, 10:01 PM
I am very grateful that at least we have someone that listens and tries to help! :thumbup2:
You did that very quickly Red, so instead of a bribe, ..............your blowjob is in the post! :nao4::hyst:

Reddevil
01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
pmsl prefer the cash

Reddevil
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
I take it thats what you was meaning :) exclude forums from search

Diablo13
01-09-2011, 10:24 PM
You would only spend it! lol
The original idea was to be able to hide posts on an individual basis, rather than blanket blocking a whole section, which at times contains interesting posts, however this works for me and I take up enough of your time already. :sorry:

Its quiet yet, but that seems to work well so far Red.
The home page looks so much neater for me to see whats actually a post, in the true sense, so I can get on with reading them and answering as many as I can. woohoo
I hope other people find this useful and comment if they use it? :please:

Reddevil
01-09-2011, 10:53 PM
there are a couple or variances on the theme will take a look at those as well.