PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy Xbox

shawry99
26-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I have recently come by an Xbox that wont let me on live, I got it off my step brother who bought it so he could play his mates, then found that it stopped him.

He gave it to me at that point. I didnt connect it to live myself (I already have 2 xboxes for that) but I borrowed a guy at works back up copy of a game, and it worked.

This tells me that my xbox has been altered, but how can I tell how? it doesnt seem to of been opened or anything :(

Ive been tempted to sell, it, but really dont want to get into trouble.

digdug
26-08-2011, 05:26 PM
If it plays a backup then it has been opened and new firmware flashed into the drive

This is probabaly why live doesn't work as the console is probably banned / flagged

Diablo13
27-08-2011, 04:51 AM
Just think about that first before you sell it!
If it will play back up games it is better than your other boxes which will go on line.
You can play cheap copies and save a fortune, stuff X box live and their stupid dolly dress up avatars!
Saving money and playing the latest games is much more important.lol
You never know if your really lucky it could even have been jtagged as an older box?
I don't see how you could get into trouble selling it anyway, you just tell the lucky person that it has been blocked from going online, but it plays copies, that's a great selling point.

tinkertiler
27-08-2011, 07:56 AM
If your worried about it playing copies check which dash update it has on it. If it is 12xxx or below then update to the latest dashboard from xbox.com and then it will re flash the drive back to stock anyway. Just go to system settings/console/info and look at the code at the right had side of the screen. If you think you possibly have a jtag turn the xbox on with the eject button and see what happens. If the screen stays black when you have the hdmi cable plugged in and the ring of light still spins do a bit more investigating. Try plugging a component cable in with just the red and white audio cable and the yellow video cable to see if the screen goes blue.

You could also try to the network connection test to see what happens and that will tell you a error code and let you know if the console has been banned.

shawry99
29-08-2011, 01:34 PM
To be fair, Im not that bothered about having it flashed to the most up to date, I dont play many xbox games, usually the online variety, but I guess I could use this to play back ups of newer games without the massive outlay :)

tinkertiler
29-08-2011, 04:38 PM
In the next few weeks you will find a new jtag expoilt will be released so you can jtag it. While it is out now it is very primative and doesnt do much but it wont be long before the flood gates open and a whole new slew of stuff will be released for it. If you dont go online then this will be the mod for you as you can have the dlc a\nd arcade games running on it without a problem. Long live the jtag !!